Prospect Info: Bakersfield Condors '23-'24 Thread

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
3 point 3rd star recent outing from Broberg. Absolute elite zone out at 2 minute mark of video below which gets converted into a goal. Video also shows the guy skating into trouble thereafter. Mark Spector on Gregor's show said that scouts have told him Broberg is one of the elite d-men in the AHL. Solid development finally happening with consistent all situational big minutes:

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
3 point 3rd star recent outing from Broberg. Absolute elite zone out at 2 minute mark of video below which gets converted into a goal. Video also shows the guy skating into trouble thereafter. Mark Spector on Gregor's show said that scouts have told him Broberg is one of the elite d-men in the AHL. Solid development finally happening with consistent all situational big minutes:

I think we kind of half ass knew that already. Problem has been at the NHL level in making decisions quickly, but part of that is really from a lack of playing time.

Going to be very interesting to see how everything shakes out for him in Edmonton. Seems like it's not so much what he can do, but what this roster in the NHL does.

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
I think we kind of half ass knew that already. Problem has been at the NHL level in making decisions quickly, but part of that is really from a lack of playing time.

Going to be very interesting to see how everything shakes out for him in Edmonton. Seems like it's not so much what he can do, but what this roster in the NHL does.
We'll see. There's a lot of raw putty with this player. Had a promising NHL stretch with Bouchard when played on his natural left side and has shown well in a few select games notably in tough situations, in Vegas and Calgary. It was a bizarre leap of faith to think that onboarding a rookie on his off side and then choking his minutes (and by extension his confidence) could be a viable path on a team expecting to be a Cup contender. Absolutely foolish that he was being tire pumped off season by the organizational extended PR guy as a top 4RD option with Ekholm.

Still has rough spots - Euro-player tendency as a pure positional defender who could add a physical element to his game with his size. At times can still skate himself into problem areas that gets his world rocked. But there's a path short-term at 3LD with a longer road to move into top 4.

He's at the crossroads in Edmonton.

trick91

Jun 7, 2012
Funny how he is thriving being put on his natural left side, while on Oilers, we were mostly playing him on his off side.

We will have to get rid of Kulak next year and have Broberg play has natural side.

Arpeggio

Jul 20, 2006
Edmonton
We'll see. There's a lot of raw putty with this player. Had a promising NHL stretch with Bouchard when played on his natural left side and has shown well in a few select games notably in tough situations, in Vegas and Calgary. It was a bizarre leap of faith to think that onboarding a rookie on his off side and then choking his minutes (and by extension his confidence) could be a viable path on a team expecting to be a Cup contender. Absolutely foolish that he was being tire pumped off season by the organizational extended PR guy as a top 4RD option with Ekholm.

Still has rough spots - Euro-player tendency as a pure positional defender who could add a physical element to his game with his size. At times can still skate himself into problem areas that gets his world rocked. But there's a path short-term at 3LD with a longer road to move into top 4.

I think they have to either give him a spot next season or move him. Depending on how the playoffs go, and even though I really like him as a player, I don't see how you can justify keeping Kulak in that spot given our cap situation. Move him, plug in Broberg, and spend that money elsewhere. Should probably do the same with Ceci, but there isn't as obvious a replacement available for him.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
I think they have to either give him a spot next season or move him. Depending on how the playoffs go, and even though I really like him as a player, I don't see how you can justify keeping Kulak in that spot given our cap situation. Move him, plug in Broberg, and spend that money elsewhere. Should probably do the same with Ceci, but there isn't as obvious a replacement available for him.
Playoffs are going to be a big tell. If Ceci comes up big they probably don't even think about moving on from him.

However, if Desharnais looks comfortable when it matters in more minutes and Ceci is so so or bad they could very well roll the dice and just look for a cheaper vet for the third pairing.

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
There is no option with Broberg except to give him a spot or trade him. He will require waivers and would almost 100% for sure be claimed.

Lavoie is in the same boat. Based on his play this year in the AHL he would get claimed if he is waived next year.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017

The issue is, Nurse is struggling as a second pairing D, so you need a Kulak calibre guy on your third pairing to help take some tough minutes, which he has had to do all year. Broberg simply can’t do it.
Best thing is to package Broberg to get us a legit top 4 right d to help Nurse salvage his game.

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
He won't be waiver eligible next year. Broberg either becomes a cap saving 3rd pair LD who can grow into a middle pair guy over time or he's bundled into a package to upgrade roster needs following this season's playoff run and what becomes identified through it. All reports from Holland is the player's future is in Edmonton. But does that change with a post Holland new GM regime?

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
The issue is, Nurse is struggling as a second pairing D, so you need a Kulak calibre guy on your third pairing to help take some tough minutes, which he has had to do all year. Broberg simply can’t do it.
Best thing is to package Broberg to get us a legit top 4 right d to help Nurse salvage his game.
Not convinced by this argument. Might need to move Ceci and Kulak to fish out a top 4RD and move as cost friendly Broberg into a 3 LD role with upward mobility over mid-range as Ekholm and Nurse approach exiting peak years (though I think Ekholm maybe both with remain positive, contributing d-man past normal aging curve).

A lot will be determined after this year's playoff run in terms of team needs. As well, Holland has consistently said Broberg has a future on the Oil blue line (talent and salary cap) but that could change with a new regime. Broberg is finally getting consistent, quality development time and delivering. This playoff is going to be critical on a lot of front as this team will either emerge as a bonafide Cup contender or a team still with question marks that require roster retooling.

Soli

Supervision Required
Sep 8, 2005
The Condor had their own Battle of Alberta last night and the rematch today. Gagner & Pedersen had goals, Rodrigue was in net for the 5-2 loss.

Max Wanner had his first pro fight. It would be advisable that he keep the mitts on, he got fed. He's out for tonights rematch, could be related to that beating. That being said, he's having a great rookie season. Amongst our pedestrian prospect pool, he's probably done the most to increase his stock. His scoring line compared to the likes of Bourgault, Tullio, Savoie, Petrov & Grubbe is indistinguishable, (which also highlights the worry amongst our forwards). Take +/- with context, but his +13 leads the Condors. For reference, the next closest Kemp (+10) and top prospect Broberg (+7). Is he our best RHD prospect, even over Beau Akey? If you have to ask the question...

Soli

Supervision Required
Sep 8, 2005
Holloway feat. DJ Khaled. Another one.

If I didn't think they'd get injured getting off the plane, I'd say call up Holloway and Broberg for our games vs. the Yotes (2) and the Sharks.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad