Prospect Info: Bakersfield Condors '16-17 Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
I read an article about Versteeg getting close to a PTO with Edmonton. If that happens the article stated then there is a very likely case of JP staying here this season to both improve his game and save on the salary cap due to bonuses.

Not sure that we could keep him down all season especially if he's tearing it up. He's already physically ready for the NHL.

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
Not sure that we could keep him down all season especially if he's tearing it up. He's already physically ready for the NHL.

Even if Versteeg shows well and gets a contract I still don't know if that necessarily means that Puljujarvi is sent down, or that Yakupov is moved. In theory he could still be signed to play either wing, could be an extra forward or 4th liner at times, and could easily have a spot if an injury occurs (when have we ever been fully healthy?). Like I've said in the Versteeg thread, I think he's more of a safety net for the team to add some depth to a potentially unknown right side, but if Yakupov, Puljujarvi and Kassian outplay him then I'd expect them to be in the lineup ahead of him.

I also have a feeling that Puljujarvi is going to seriously impress in camp and blow the doors off to the point that he will stick. Might not happen, but if it does I don't think they'll send him down just because of bonuses. Its already been discussed heavily that we are extremely unlikely to hit enough bonuses on this team to incur a cap overage penalty just based off what each player would need to achieve for that to happen. Toss in the fact that the defence likely won't have enough room for both Nurse and Reinhart this season and I think those chances become almost zero.

Chiarelli and McLellan know that this is the year that the Oilers need to make serious strides in the standings and need to best support McDavid as captain going forward, so I'm sure they will ice what they feel is the best lineup to help the team win games (the other side of this is that maybe that gives Versteeg a better shot to be a regular due to his 2-way game).

Last edited:

Delicious Pancakes

Top Pocket Find
Apr 23, 2012
Home
Pulju's game is still a bit raw. Wouldn't be surprising at all to see the Oilers send him down to refine his game and learn to play in a NA rink. Learning to dominate down in Bakersfield wouldn't be a bad thing for his development.

It also wouldn't surprise me to see him hit the ground running in Edmonton given his size, speed and skill. If he blows the doors off at camp they're not going to ruin his momentum and send him down. In all likelihood though, where he ends up will probably depend on how Versteeg, Yak and Kassian show in camp. Kassian has lost some weight to improve speed, Yak has changed his off-season program and Versteeg will be hungry for a contract. If they are all on top of their games Pulju is likely the odd man out. Of course there are always injuries too, especially with this team so I'm happy Chia got Versteeg on the PTO.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Pulju's game is still a bit raw. Wouldn't be surprising at all to see the Oilers send him down to refine his game and learn to play in a NA rink. Learning to dominate down in Bakersfield wouldn't be a bad thing for his development.

It also wouldn't surprise me to see him hit the ground running in Edmonton given his size, speed and skill. If he blows the doors off at camp they're not going to ruin his momentum and send him down. In all likelihood though, where he ends up will probably depend on how Versteeg, Yak and Kassian show in camp. Kassian has lost some weight to improve speed, Yak has changed his off-season program and Versteeg will be hungry for a contract. If they are all on top of their games Pulju is likely the odd man out. Of course there are always injuries too, especially with this team so I'm happy Chia got Versteeg on the PTO.

In theory we could see Pakarinen sent down and Versteeg kept as an extra forward as well (is Pakarinen waiver exempt?).

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
If Puljujärvi plays in AHL what are odds for that Oilers release him to Finland's world junior team in Montreal?.

I would think pretty damn good. I don't know what Chia's history with Boston was in terms of situations like this though.

ChicagoBullsFan

Jun 6, 2015
Finland
I would think pretty damn good. I don't know what Chia's history with Boston was in terms of situations like this though.

I'm not sure is there any sense release Puljujärvi to world juniors he's already double gold medalist in U18 and U20's.
So maybe it's better for Jesse to play NHL / AHL than world juniors.

But of course Jesse is huge addition to Finland's team if he really comes to Montreal.
Let's wait and see what Chiarelli decides

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
In theory we could see Pakarinen sent down and Versteeg kept as an extra forward as well (is Pakarinen waiver exempt?).

I don't think Pakarinen is waiver exempt, but he could still be kept around on the 23 man roster as an extra even if versteeg was also an extra. Just means that Lander likely gets waived.

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
Even if Pak was waived, I don't see him claimed.

Probably not, but he's shown enough imo as a good fit in a checking role and is young enough that there's no reason to risk it when you have guys like Lander that I'd rather waive, or younger waiver exempt guys that probably aren't an improvement on him as an extra forward who would be better served developing in the AHL than being an extra forward.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
I'm not sure is there any sense release Puljujärvi to world juniors he's already double gold medalist in U18 and U20's.

But of course Jesse is huge addition to Finland's team if he really comes to Montreal.

I'm expecting Jesse to play his way onto the team at some point this season. I know that Draisaitl was sent down after playing pretty well last camp so it would not be unheard of if he gets a taste of the bus riding life in the AHL.

Let's see what Chia and Puljujarvi have in mind ;)

I don't think Pakarinen is waiver exempt, but he could still be kept around on the 23 man roster as an extra even if versteeg was also an extra. Just means that Lander likely gets waived.

The guy that I don't want to lose on waivers is Khaira.

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
I'm expecting Jesse to play his way onto the team at some point this season. I know that Draisaitl was sent down after playing pretty well last camp so it would not be unheard of if he gets a taste of the bus riding life in the AHL.

Let's see what Chia and Puljujarvi have in mind ;)

The guy that I don't want to lose on waivers is Khaira.

Khaira is waiver exempt.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Khaira is waiver exempt.

Really? If so that's a relief. I really like him as a future bottom 6 player for us. I still have some hopes for Moroz as well but this is a big season for him to make an impact or continue to fade off the map.

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
Really? If so that's a relief. I really like him as a future bottom 6 player for us. I still have some hopes for Moroz as well but this is a big season for him to make an impact or continue to fade off the map.

Yup, and I also see him as a great bottom 6er for us for the future, if not as early as this season.

Here's a tool on cap friendly that actually lists all the waiver exempt players of each team:
https://www.capfriendly.com/waivers_calculator

Also this explains the waiver exemption rules:
https://www.capfriendly.com/waivers-faq

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004

Yeah...the real question is...what would benefit JP more? I have to think that AHL hockey on the NA ice is exactly what he needs at this point in time. Experience that translates to the NHL is best at this point in time.

For that reason I would be very surprised if JP plays in the Junior tournament.

Dazed and Confused

Ludicrous speed, GO!
Aug 10, 2007
Berlin, Germany
I don't see any issue with sending Pulju down at least until Christmas. Bakersfield doesn't have a ton of drivers up front so he's going to be big minutes, which would be better than playing behind Eberle and likely Versteeg.

Bakersfield's looking pretty deep though

Slepyshev-Khaira-Pulju
Beck-Caggiula-Pitlcik
Hamilton-Currie-Platzer
Moroz-Sallinen-Chase
Extras: Benik, Russell, Allen, Descheneau, Ellis

Fraser-Oesterle
Reinhart-Simpson
Musil-Benning
Extras: Betker, Laleggia, Simonelli, (Nurse?)

Brossoit
Laurkainen
Ellis

I really like the look of that top line. I could see Slepyshev and Pulju working well together at this level.

Hoodaha

Aug 8, 2014
I don't see any issue with sending Pulju down at least until Christmas. Bakersfield doesn't have a ton of drivers up front so he's going to be big minutes, which would be better than playing behind Eberle and likely Versteeg.

Bakersfield's looking pretty deep though

Slepyshev-Khaira-Pulju
Beck-Caggiula-Pitlcik
Hamilton-Currie-Platzer
Moroz-Sallinen-Chase
Extras: Benik, Russell, Allen, Descheneau, Ellis

Fraser-Oesterle
Reinhart-Simpson
Musil-Benning
Extras: Betker, Laleggia, Simonelli, (Nurse?)

Brossoit
Laurkainen
Ellis

I really like the look of that top line. I could see Slepyshev and Pulju working well together at this level.

Unless Slepyshev takes a massive step forward, the first line ain't in the cards.

lakai17

Aug 10, 2006
The 4th line for Bakersfield will be considerably strong, I would throw Sallinen on the 3rd but still. That team will be good this season. Finally we may have a deep system that will compete consistently.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Is the AHL still running a stupid format where the Pacific division or whatever it's called plays less games than anyone else?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad