Not open for further replies.

Hoodaha

Aug 8, 2014
Last edited by a moderator:

BarDownBobo

Oct 19, 2012
City of Champions
Well that sucks....It looks like we have less vets and a lot more rookies

There will be enough vet presence with guys like Hamilton, Pitlick, Beck, Fraser ect. Then you've likely got Khaira who'll be in his third AHL season, and adding a guy like Sallinen who is a rookie in NA but has played 7+ seasons of pro hockey in Europe.

easternrefugee

Jun 24, 2013
Bakersfield, CA
There will be enough vet presence with guys like Hamilton, Pitlick, Beck, Fraser ect. Then you've likely got Khaira who'll be in his third AHL season, and adding a guy like Sallinen who is a rookie in NA but has played 7+ seasons of pro hockey in Europe.

I read an article this weekend about lander may be playing here as well.

easternrefugee

Jun 24, 2013
Bakersfield, CA
Bako signed Joel Rechlicz......Can someone please explain why??? This guy is a legit enforcer. He has played 10 pro years and has maybe 10 points in those 10 years. His best year he scored 2 points. This makes no sense to me. I like having guys who are willing to fight, but I would rather have guys who can actually play the game. You cannot win games with fights. You can only win games with points.

Dazed and Confused

Ludicrous speed, GO!
Aug 10, 2007
Berlin, Germany
Bako signed Joel Rechlicz......Can someone please explain why??? This guy is a legit enforcer. He has played 10 pro years and has maybe 10 points in those 10 years. His best year he scored 2 points. This makes no sense to me. I like having guys who are willing to fight, but I would rather have guys who can actually play the game. You cannot win games with fights. You can only win games with points.

At the same time, fighting is still part of the game, especially at the AHL level. If a game gets out of hand, and we did see a couple line brawls last year, I'd rather risk a guy like Rechlicz or Faser vs. Kharia or Nurse getting involved in a needless fight.

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015

Physical violence creates fear. Fear leads to panic. Panic means the other team will make mistakes. Mistakes by the other team leads to points.

Hockey is a physical game and don't let any American broadcaster on a crusade against fighting tell you intimidation doesn't matter in hockey. It does.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
At the same time, fighting is still part of the game, especially at the AHL level. If a game gets out of hand, and we did see a couple line brawls last year, I'd rather risk a guy like Rechlicz or Faser vs. Kharia or Nurse getting involved in a needless fight.

Ya AHL still has those guys that just snap and create mayhem. It's not like the guy has to play every game either.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Doesn't anyone enjoy watching a scrap now a days? I feel like such an alien.

Considering the amount of people that cheer at games when a brawl breaks out I'd say a lot of people still really enjoy it.

When Gazdic fought Lucic it was the loudest that buildings was in a long time. Granted there hasn't been a lot to cheer about, but there's still been some good moments in the past 10 years.

I wasn't there when Nurse went snap show on Polak, but I suspect it was pretty damn loud as well.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
Physical violence creates fear. Fear leads to panic. Panic means the other team will make mistakes. Mistakes by the other team leads to points.

Hockey is a physical game and don't let any American broadcaster on a crusade against fighting tell you intimidation doesn't matter in hockey. It does.

Fear from a quality player. Fear from a face punching goon really does nothing. They other fight other goons or go after you if you cheap shot a player (and a suspension is worse than a couple punches)

Dont mind this signing and dont mind the good ole fight. But this signing was for the fans and to say you have protection, even if actual on ice impact is nil

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
Considering the amount of people that cheer at games when a brawl breaks out I'd say a lot of people still really enjoy it.

When Gazdic fought Lucic it was the loudest that buildings was in a long time. Granted there hasn't been a lot to cheer about, but there's still been some good moments in the past 10 years.

I wasn't there when Nurse went snap show on Polak, but I suspect it was pretty damn loud as well.

Yeah absolutely, fans still love it and players still do as well. The only issue I have with fighting is if NHL is covering up head issues fighting causes. If players come into league and know full well impact fighting will have on your brain and take the risk... im all for it

Some people want 16,000 cheering for them in their 20s versus being a regular joe and will take head risks that might develop in 60s.

But I am not about to assume NHL is being honest with these guys. Not after seeing the sickening stance by NFL on this issue

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
Fear from a quality player. Fear from a face punching goon really does nothing. They other fight other goons or go after you if you cheap shot a player (and a suspension is worse than a couple punches)

Dont mind this signing and dont mind the good ole fight. But this signing was for the fans and to say you have protection, even if actual on ice impact is nil

Absolutely, fear of an offensive star attacking with the puck has the same result.

Now balancing both physical fear with fear of skilled players throughout the lineup, it's a nice balance :).

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Yeah absolutely, fans still love it and players still do as well. The only issue I have with fighting is if NHL is covering up head issues fighting causes. If players come into league and know full well impact fighting will have on your brain and take the risk... im all for it

Some people want 16,000 cheering for them in their 20s versus being a regular joe and will take head risks that might develop in 60s.

But I am not about to assume NHL is being honest with these guys. Not after seeing the sickening stance by NFL on this issue

If anyone in today's day and age doesn't know what concussions are I really don't know what to say.

Not sure why people are actually shocked by what the NHL/NFL/WWE with regards to concussions. There's always a fight to reduce the damages that will have to be paid out.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
If anyone in today's day and age doesn't know what concussions are I really don't know what to say.

Not sure why people are actually shocked by what the NHL/NFL/WWE with regards to concussions. There's always a fight to reduce the damages that will have to be paid out.

Thats pretty ignorant to say. Waves of ex players are coming forward and saying they were outright lied to by respective leagues about long term impacts of concussions. Everyone knows what concussions are, not all are aware of long term impacts

The leagues didnt right to reduce damages, they outright lied to players they employ. Its disgraceful

If all cards are on the table and a guy wants to choose to be a fighter, so be it. But only recently (last 2/3 years) has information been available to them. It was available to the leagues for many years before that

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Thats pretty ignorant to say. Waves of ex players are coming forward and saying they were outright lied to by respective leagues about long term impacts of concussions. Everyone knows what concussions are, not all are aware of long term impacts

The leagues didnt right to reduce damages, they outright lied to players they employ. Its disgraceful

If all cards are on the table and a guy wants to choose to be a fighter, so be it. But only recently (last 2/3 years) has information been available to them. It was available to the leagues for many years before that

Yes 20 years ago people didn't know. Now however you'd have to be under a rock to not know.

40oz

Jan 21, 2007
Thanks for posting it. I had not paid attention to my own team lol.

They're sure taking their time revealing this, must've been waiting for you haha ;)

I like that they're using the shoulder patch as the main logo
181yxv.jpg

easternrefugee

Jun 24, 2013
Bakersfield, CA
In the recent articles about Smyth joing the organization to work on the least likely players to succeed category like Moroz, this could be a true game changer.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
In the recent articles about Smyth joing the organization to work on the least likely players to succeed category like Moroz, this could be a true game changer.

He's bought into the Spruce Grove Saints(AJHL), wonder if he ends up working at that level instead.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004

Moroz has a great deal of respect for Smyth, I hope that Smyth has a role like the one that you've described.

easternrefugee

Jun 24, 2013
Bakersfield, CA
I read an article about Versteeg getting close to a PTO with Edmonton. If that happens the article stated then there is a very likely case of JP staying here this season to both improve his game and save on the salary cap due to bonuses.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad