Value of: Bailey, Mayfield, NYI 1st or 2nd for 2nd line RW/C

SLAPSHOT723

QU! Bobcats!
Jan 14, 2008
Long Island/NYC
www.nhl.com
The Islanders' biggest hole on the roster right now is a natural RW or C. Whichever position comes in will determine where Ryan Strome is slotted in the lineup as well (RW or C). Would highly prefer someone with short term on their contract (no more than two years), but that depends on the caliber of the player.

Bailey desperately needs a change of scenery, Scott Mayfield can be a really good bottom pairing defenseman on many NHL rosters, and of course there's a high pick involved as well. Obviously this package isn't going to get us someone like David Krejci, but the goal is to get a valuable player to round out the roster.

IODCPiper

Jan 26, 2016
Rather isles shoot for top line winger and sort out 2nd line/wings with whats left

Mr Misty

The Irons Are Back!
Feb 20, 2012
I thought Dal was happy with Eakin?

Frustratingly so.

He won't be centering the top line because Seguin is better, he won't be centering the 2nd line because Spezza is better, he won't be centering the 3rd line because Faksa is better and had amazing chemistry with Hemsky and Roussel, and we already have one center playing wing in the top 6 in Janmark who is much better at it than Eakin.

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
Mayfield has a the upside to be a very effective shutdown defenseman. He uses his size and he can skate pretty well. I think he can be a #4 if all goes well but at the very least a solid #5-6.

Right now his value probably isn't crazy because he hasn't played in the NHL much but I think he's ready. I think he was ready last year. Problem is the isles defense is set on the right side.

SLAPSHOT723

QU! Bobcats!
Jan 14, 2008
Long Island/NYC
www.nhl.com
I understand, just curious who you were thinking is a good fit.

I'd give up that package (with the 2nd not the 1st) for someone like maybe Tyler Bozak. Maybe not as good all around as Eakin, but has less years on his contract and is more offensive oriented. I'd also give up that package for Valteri Filppula, who is a very similar player to Eakin and Nielsen but last less years on his contract.

HabsTown

Jun 5, 2014
Montreal
Is there something to work with

Plekanec (25% retained) + Barberio + ?

for

Strome + CDH

(assuming Isles' management (not fans) is a bit down on Strome and don't view him anymore as a #5 pick)

SLAPSHOT723

QU! Bobcats!
Jan 14, 2008
Long Island/NYC
www.nhl.com
Is there something to work with

Plekanec (25% retained) + Barberio + ?

for

Strome + CDH

(assuming Isles' management (not fans) is a bit down on Strome and don't view him anymore as a #5 pick)

Definitely not. Isles fans were upset with Strome's season but he's still valued highly.

I would give up Bailey, Mayfield, and our 1st for Plekanec though, no salary retained necessary.

turkulad

Sep 27, 2011
Turku, Finland
Just because I like to watch the world burn, I'll humour you with the notion that NYI would be an interesting place for the Sedins to get their 1 1/2 seasons of cup contending hockey before calling it quits.

:popcorn:

member 157595

I'd give up that package (with the 2nd not the 1st) for someone like maybe Tyler Bozak. Maybe not as good all around as Eakin, but has less years on his contract and is more offensive oriented. I'd also give up that package for Valteri Filppula, who is a very similar player to Eakin and Nielsen but last less years on his contract.

I don't think TO is interested in moving Bozak until Nylander proves he can handle a center spot in the NHL full-time (he will likely start on the wing as per Babcock.)

For the sake of conversation, what can you tell me about Mayfield? I'm not well-versed.

SLAPSHOT723

QU! Bobcats!
Jan 14, 2008
Long Island/NYC
www.nhl.com
Nyquist + Ericsson for that package would help both teams I think

Ericsson has too many years left on his deal for me to want to take that package. If he had one year left, I'd take that deal easily. But 4 years to go? No thanks.

I don't think TO is interested in moving Bozak until Nylander proves he can handle a center spot in the NHL full-time (he will likely start on the wing as per Babcock.)

For the sake of conversation, what can you tell me about Mayfield? I'm not well-versed.

That's fair with Nylander and Bozak.

Mayfield is a tough, bottom pairing defenseman who's stuck behind Hamonic, Boychuk, and Pulock. Good defensively but could use some work, and can fight. I think if given the opportunity he could play full time in the NHL quite easily, but it doesn't seem like he'll get that opportunity here. Played well in the playoffs in 2015. I think he has Adam McQuaid potential, although maybe not as mean.

seabass45

Jan 12, 2007

I can actually see Babcock being interested in Mayfield. Big, tough, but hasn't been able to break through to the NHL (he did see some time in the playoffs against Washington though). Probably doesn't have much value on his own, would be part of a package.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad