Confirmed with Link: Bailey and 2026 2nd to Blackhawks for Future considerations

19 in a row

Jul 19, 2011
Long Island
well according to capfriendly they have 9.5 mil to sign varly, mayfield,engvall and wally. They need more space no?
If we signed all of our guys it would be those 3 plus Wahlstrom and Parise if they are coming back, with possibly Maclean and Johnson ($2M) sent through waivers/sent down giving us about $11.5M for those 5 guys to get to 23, which might be tight but possible with a few more tweaks to bury a bit more $$.

Reactions: JRD76

thegoldenyear

RIP Mike Bossy
May 13, 2013
Toronto
For the good of the person, glad he and his family are off to a big town with a high hockey profile, O6 pedigree and an exciting can’t-miss prospect to watch up close. Could turn out Bedard’s the best player Josh Bailey ever plays with.

Often played a good game when the Isles visited Toronto. Remember one in ‘13 or ‘14 where the three stars were all Ontario-born Islanders. Sat a few rows from some very ardent Bailey fans that night.

He put up 580 + 50 points and we cheered a lot of them pretty lustily. That’s worth something. And 39 in 49 during Trotz’s three playoffs. He didn’t disappear during the middle rounds. He nearly won a Cup, if you believe we were two G7 goals v Tampa from making it happen.

Long in the tooth and heavily overpaid, he had to go and it took an extra year for it to happen. Now that it has…

Thanks, 12. Looking forward to the inevitable video and decidedly non-Snake fan reaction.

Wonder if Lou leaves the number vacant for the season or if it finds a scrub in camp.

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
For the good of the person, glad he and his family are off to a big town with a high hockey profile, O6 pedigree and an exciting can’t-miss prospect to watch up close. Could turn out Bedard’s the best player Josh Bailey ever plays with.

Often played a good game when the Isles visited Toronto. Remember one in ‘13 or ‘14 where the three stars were all Ontario-born Islanders. Sat a few rows from some very ardent Bailey fans that night.

He put up 580 + 50 points and we cheered a lot of them pretty lustily. That’s worth something. And 39 in 49 during Trotz’s three playoffs. He didn’t disappear during the middle rounds. He nearly won a Cup, if you believe we were two G7 goals v Tampa from making it happen.

Long in the tooth and heavily overpaid, he had to go and it took an extra year for it to happen. Now that it has…

Thanks, 12. Looking forward to the inevitable video and decidedly non-Snake fan reaction.

Wonder if Lou leaves the number vacant for the season or if it finds a scrub in camp.

He's not going to play in Chicago, they placed him on waivers with the purpose of buying him out. We now need to hope he doesn't go to Toronto or the Rags.

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013

The league was displeased with Carolina trying to re-acquire DeAngelo at 50% retained after he signed with the Flyers and played there for a full season because it could be considered cap circumvention. There is no way the NHL would allowed the Islanders to re-sign him now at a cheaper cap hit I don't think.

Lights911

Dec 5, 2017
Long Island
The league was displeased with Carolina trying to re-acquire DeAngelo at 50% retained after he signed with the Flyers and played there for a full season because it could be considered cap circumvention. There is no way the NHL would allowed the Islanders to re-sign him now at a cheaper cap hit I don't think.
I believe Brooks Orpik was traded to Colorado a few years ago, bought out and then signed back with Washington in FA.

Reactions: danteipp

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
I thought the issue with DeAngelo to canes was that a player can't go back to the last team he was with unless a year has passed. In DeAngelo's case, that would be july 8th when he signed with philly. That's just what I heard but I don't know the rules lol

It was in relation to that, along with the fact that there was salary retention. I think the idea is that he played for Carolina, then signed with Philadelphia and they could retain money to help Carolina circumvent the cap less than a year later (that's not what happened, but seems to be the issue for the league). I don't see how that is much different than the Islanders trading Bailey and a pick to Chicago for them to buy him out, eliminating his cap hit for the Islanders, and then Bailey re-signing with the Islanders for a lower cap hit. I'd argue it's closer to cap circumvention than what happened with DeAngelo, and I'm someone who would love Bailey to stick around on a lesser contract.

Richie Daggers Crime

Boosted 9 times they/them
Mar 8, 2004
Boise
I don't see it happening. It seemed like the relationship had soured a little with him being a scratch so often.

I could see him going to a team like Toronto or Tampa, who have a bunch of big cap hits and look for cheap vets to fill gaps in the bottom 6.

Reactions: Seph

Fist of Fury

Wang Chung
Jul 24, 2011
Just when you thought it's finally over, you realise its never over. Chains are back, but now with lower cap hit. Please NHL don't allow this madness. 15 years was enough, time to move on.

doublechili

For all intensive purposes, your nuts
Apr 11, 2006
Didn't Lou say during that "availability" a few weeks ago that Bailey was nearing the end here, or words to that effect? I think it's done.

Seph

Sep 5, 2002
Oregon
Visit site
Kind of sad to see him go, as it's the end of an era. 7th most points all time for the Islanders, and the most playoff points by a non dynasty player. Will always remember how instrumental his play was in the back to back conference finals runs. He was a good player that unfortunately got an unfair rep from many fans due to being rushed and not playing a flashy game.

But at the same time, it was definitely time to move him and the price here was right.

thegoldenyear

RIP Mike Bossy
May 13, 2013
Toronto
He's not going to play in Chicago, they placed him on waivers with the purpose of buying him out. We now need to hope he doesn't go to Toronto or the Rags.
Ugh, Christ. This stuff moves too fast for me when I’m on summertime brain. Either would suck for us.

California, Josh. Learn to surf while taxiing for the Sharks or Ducks.

Reactions: PK Cronin

danteipp

Aug 3, 2005
I don't expect the Isles to sign Bailey as a player, that ship has (hopefully) sailed. But, if he can't find a NHL team to play for, I would be fine with Bailey coming back as a coach (in the AHL to start) or as an ambassador.

If Bailey does play, I hope he gets to join a team like the Oilers. They need cheap depth and he can probably help them on the fourth line, maybe even the third in spots.

My gut says he finds a PTO with Nashville (another good spot with Trotz) or Carolina (not great, hate that team of whiners). Carolina seems to love ex Rags and Isles players.

BTW has anyone looked at Carolina's contracts recently? They have 26 contracts that expire over the next two years (obviously a couple of those contracts are of the LTIR variety like Gardiner) with only six players under contract.

Even if the cap goes up to $87.5 million, that means they will need to sign at least 9-11 forwards, 4-6 defensemen and a backup goalie with around $58 million.

I hope that team gets picked clean. You know Montreal wants to get back at them. Ruby Rod might be crying a lot over the next couple seasons. And he would finally have something to cry about for once.

Reactions: PWJunior and MJF

Glory Days

Aug 16, 2012
Charlotte
As others have said glad to see the contract go but not the player. Hopefully Josh retires. I wonder if he can sign a 1 day contract and retire an Islander like they do in the NFL.

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
I hope that team gets picked clean. You know Montreal wants to get back at them. Ruby Rod might be crying a lot over the next couple seasons. And he would finally have something to cry about for once.
1688078075453.png

MatthewBarnabysTears

Mar 18, 2013
They’re different in kind. The Islanders aren’t circumventing anything, they paid a second rounder to trade him. Although I also think the NHL will eventually allow the DeAngelo deal.

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
I could see him get a one year contract off of a PTO in Ottawa or Buffalo.

His old Oshawa coach DJ Smith just got a vote of confidence from their GM and new owner there and Cappy is also there…

Okposo would put in a good word for him and Buffalo could use a class act veteran to help mitigate some of the growing pains I expect Buffalo’s young guns to go through next season.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad