Baertschi's development

Richi

Oct 20, 2013
In my opinion he is one of our very few players who have offensive potential. He´s not been that terrible as of late and if he gets the chance to build up his confidence and not get scratched, he will have a very strong finish!

tyflames

Jul 4, 2010
I like his game. He played very well in my mind last night but all the talk of him not being able to play all three zones is making him limit his offensive game I think.

Bosnian Beast

Formerly Janko Unchained
Dec 30, 2010
Lethbridge, AB
He could do with shooting more, but I'm not too concerned at this point. He's still young, and to a point I agree with tyflames, in that I agree that him focusing on being a three zone player is (in his mind) making him limit his offensive game. That said, I think once he gets another goal, things will pick up for him again, just like last season.

MC Ride

Feels bad man
Feb 4, 2009
We're trying to force an offensive minded player to play a three zone game. That actually annoys me. Not all forwards need to be defensive minded... That's why they're called forwards

tyflames

Jul 4, 2010
We're trying to force an offensive minded player to play a three zone game. That actually annoys me. Not all forwards need to be defensive minded... That's why they're called forwards

While I agree some what, an nhl player has to learn to play in all three zones to be successful. Not saying he has to be a shot blocker and penalty killer but having an awareness in all three zones is a must.

MC Ride

Feels bad man
Feb 4, 2009
While I agree some what, an nhl player has to learn to play in all three zones to be successful. Not saying he has to be a shot blocker and penalty killer but having an awareness in all three zones is a must.

Of course Baertschi needs to be aware of his defensive responsibilities, but it kind of feels like we're limiting his offensive potential.

MonahanTheMan

Pray for Flames
Jul 10, 2013
Bellingham, WA
Jimmies rustled by the whole Baertschi thing. Defensive responsibilities, sure, but that's not the kind of player he is. If Feaster wanted a someday Selke-contending player, he should've drafted someone else. They knew what they were getting into with Sven.

Devilspuppet666

Dec 25, 2010
Calgary
Jimmies rustled by the whole Baertschi thing. Defensive responsibilities, sure, but that's not the kind of player he is. If Feaster wanted a someday Selke-contending player, he should've drafted someone else. They knew what they were getting into with Sven.

With Monahan i think he has (if he reaches potential)

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
Another one that could've had a poll

Here:

Pole_a39f23_2947158.gif

TheHudlinator

Nov 21, 2011
Victoria,BC

Maybe Sven should have a little better decision making skills in the offensive zone and he won't have to worry about being benched?

He has tried to pass threw a million legs instead of shooting so many times. I understand you love Sven but its not like he has been lighting it up offensively to justify the amount of overreaction it gets when he is benched.

MonahanTheMan

Pray for Flames
Jul 10, 2013
Bellingham, WA
Maybe Sven should have a little better decision making skills in the offensive zone and he won't have to worry about being benched?

He has tried to pass threw a million legs instead of shooting so many times. I understand you love Sven but its not like he has been lighting it up offensively to justify the amount of overreaction it gets when he is benched.

Thank God someone gets me :laugh:

I don't think he's getting benched for being too fancy in the offensive zone, though. From everything management has said, it's because they want him to be more defensively responsible. I think you're skirting around the issue a bit, which is that management is pushing Baertschi into roles that he's not suited for. If we give him more time to work on offense, then obviously he's gonna learn and show some better decision making.

TheHudlinator

Nov 21, 2011
Victoria,BC
Thank God someone gets me :laugh:

I don't think he's getting benched for being too fancy in the offensive zone, though. From everything management has said, it's because they want him to be more defensively responsible. I think you're skirting around the issue a bit, which is that management is pushing Baertschi into roles that he's not suited for. If we give him more time to work on offense, then obviously he's gonna learn and show some better decision making.

I believe the term they keep using is responsible in all 3 zones, him giving the puck away trying to force plays in the offensive zone isn't being responsible last night he was better imo without guys that he feels are better shots than him. He just needs to gets his confidence going and start shooting and all his problems will disappear imo.

Skobel24

#Ignited
May 23, 2008
Winnipeg
Baertschi hasn't shown he can handle the top 6 minutes right now. Plenty of potential, but he's been making a lot of bad moves that cause turnovers.

Having him play in the bottom 6 and working on his defensive game isn't going to destroy his future.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
Baertschi hasn't shown he can handle the top 6 minutes right now. Plenty of potential, but he's been making a lot of bad moves that cause turnovers.

Having him play in the bottom 6 and working on his defensive game isn't going to destroy his future.

I think he's very much under the microscope right now, but I'm willing to give him a pass for the positive things he's done in recent game rather than a fail for the negatives. All forwards turn the puck over in games. Players who play with the puck on their stick will do it more than those who don't. I think that he was a positive factor in last night's game, so I like him in the top 6.

TheHudlinator

Nov 21, 2011
Victoria,BC
I think he's very much under the microscope right now, but I'm willing to give him a pass for the positive things he's done in recent game rather than a fail for the negatives. All forwards turn the puck over in games. Players who play with the puck on their stick will do it more than those who don't. I think that he was a positive factor in last night's game, so I like him in the top 6.

See I think this is why there is so much argument over the young players on the team. Seem people look at the rookie's good things and don't care so much about the negatives and others (like myself) tend to focus more on the negatives. Neither is right but there is clearly 2 different ways of looking at things.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
See I think this is why there is so much argument over the young players on the team. Seem people look at the rookie's good things and don't care so much about the negatives and others (like myself) tend to focus more on the negatives. Neither is right but there is clearly 2 different ways of looking at things.

I agree. The reason I look at it this way is because I feel that turnovers generally remain a part of any creative player's game. Sidney Crosby makes bad plays in every game, plays which don't turn out to anything other than a turnover. But that doesn't make him a bad player. I think that positive plays- chance creation and turnover creation- fluctuate much more between good games and bad games for a player than do the negative plays.

TheHudlinator

Nov 21, 2011
Victoria,BC
I agree. The reason I look at it this way is because I feel that turnovers generally remain a part of any creative player's game. Sidney Crosby makes bad plays in every game, plays which don't turn out to anything other than a turnover. But that doesn't make him a bad player. I think that positive plays- chance creation and turnover creation- fluctuate much more between good games and bad games for a player than do the negative plays.

Agree offensive players make more mistakes and it is just part of being offensive the problem I have with Sven's play (before this game) is his give aways and mistake aren't form being pressured or having no options it is him over compacting things. The best example is the 2 on 1 where he carried it into the corner then he tried to make a pass and never even looked to try and shoot.

herashak

Mar 24, 2013
Baertschi always looked out of place on the rush/ in the neutral zone. maybe the coach wanted him to get to see the system from up top. He is making strides.

TheHudlinator

Nov 21, 2011
Victoria,BC
Baertschi always looked out of place on the rush/ in the neutral zone. maybe the coach wanted him to get to see the system from up top. He is making strides.

Crazy that a coach who has been in the NHL for over a decade, who has won it all and developed some great players along the way might know what he is doing more so than us couch bums :laugh:

herashak

Mar 24, 2013
Crazy that a coach who has been in the NHL for over a decade, who has won it all and developed some great players along the way might know what he is doing more so than us couch bums :laugh:

I know. i have been disapointed but havent really questioned hartleys decisions with baertschi.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad