Baertschi's development

Nanuuk

Nov 16, 2013
Calgary, Alberta
Bearcheese will find offensive opportunities from his defensive game. He'll be a better player for it and will also have a long career. I don't want to see Sven learn bad habits by focusing on offensive exclusively. I agree with others. The goals will come.

tmurfin

That’s the joke
May 8, 2010
Maybe Sven should have a little better decision making skills in the offensive zone and he won't have to worry about being benched?

He has tried to pass threw a million legs instead of shooting so many times. I understand you love Sven but its not like he has been lighting it up offensively to justify the amount of overreaction it gets when he is benched.

He should probably play like the offensive stud Joe Colborne eh.

I was ticked with his benching, but he's been getting more than enough minutes now, he'll get there, he's trying, once he finds a groove he'll be good.

MarkGio

Nov 6, 2010
Crazy that a coach who has been in the NHL for over a decade, who has won it all and developed some great players along the way might know what he is doing more so than us couch bums :laugh:

I've been called a bum, a couch, a hobo on a couch, and even a couchless bum bandit...

But never a COUCH BUM!! :rant:

Lunatik

Normal is an illusion.
Oct 12, 2012
Padded Room
I think Sven has amazing potential, but I am not pleased with how he is developing. I am not really seeing much if any improvement in his game to be frank. I really think tit's time to send him to Abbotsford.

TheHudlinator

Nov 21, 2011
Victoria,BC
I think Sven has amazing potential, but I am not pleased with how he is developing. I am not really seeing much if any improvement in his game to be frank. I really think tit's time to send him to Abbotsford.

I think he is making progress but he still gives the puck away way to often by over passing. He needs to just keep it simple and take his shots and he would be a lot better off.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria

I think it's as hard to notice a player developing as it is to notice yourself growing or losing/gaining weight. It's something you need to look at over a long stretch rather than day-to-day or game-to-game.

MarkGio

Nov 6, 2010
I think he is making progress but he still gives the puck away way to often by over passing. He needs to just keep it simple and take his shots and he would be a lot better off.

The guy has been a play maker since the day he was drafted. He will always have a pass-first, playmaking mentality. I think he's come a long ways in his development. Taking McGrattan shots on the net doesn't score goals, what Baertschi does when he has the puck - finding the possible chances during the rush - is exactly what scores goals.

Every team needs a guy like Baertschi on them. And some guys like to shoot first (ie, Stempniak). That's hockey.

TheHudlinator

Nov 21, 2011
Victoria,BC
The guy has been a play maker since the day he was drafted. He will always have a pass-first, playmaking mentality. I think he's come a long ways in his development. Taking McGrattan shots on the net doesn't score goals, what Baertschi does when he has the puck - finding the possible chances during the rush - is exactly what scores goals.

Every team needs a guy like Baertschi on them. And some guys like to shoot first (ie, Stempniak). That's hockey.

WTF does McGrattan have to do with this? Sven has a great shot him taking shots on goals would score goals. He's major problem I see is that he either overpasses killing a scoring chance or he tries to force a pass at the blue line. Sven only has 19 shots all year, of course Colborne will be brought up for being as pathetic at shots as Sven which I would agree but the difference is Colborne usually doesn't get a shot because he can't handle the pass and he is in front of the net, Sven doesn't get shots by over thinking the game which is why I think he is being scratched.

MarkGio

Nov 6, 2010
WTF does McGrattan have to do with this? Sven has a great shot him taking shots on goals would score goals. He's major problem I see is that he either overpasses killing a scoring chance or he tries to force a pass at the blue line. Sven only has 19 shots all year, of course Colborne will be brought up for being as pathetic at shots as Sven which I would agree but the difference is Colborne usually doesn't get a shot because he can't handle the pass and he is in front of the net, Sven doesn't get shots by over thinking the game which is why I think he is being scratched.

Yeah, because taking shots from the press box really help.

If they're taking shots at Hartley maybe...

Oh snap!

MarkGio

Nov 6, 2010
He shots almost as often in the press box as he does when he plays so really you should be happy we are getting 19 players worth of shots :laugh:

Or maybe coaching would work? Different line-mates?

What's another 5-1 loss going to teach Baertschi... to pull a Yakupov and demand a trade?

TheHudlinator

Nov 21, 2011
Victoria,BC
Or maybe coaching would work? Different line-mates?

What's another 5-1 loss going to teach Baertschi... to pull a Yakupov and demand a trade?

By the sounds of things Hartley feels like he has done a lot with him in practice and since I haven't been there I can't argue one way or the other.

The fact remains on the year I have been extremely disappointed with Sven's play.

tmurfin

That’s the joke
May 8, 2010
We should definitely chastise the kid for trying too hard. He'll get there, he needs a little faith and patience from Hartley to do so though.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->