Speculation: Baertschi to Montreal

Nucker42

Nov 27, 2011
Elliotte Friedmen mentioned on headlines that Montreal considered Baertschi before signing Kovalchuk.

Obviously its unlikely to happen now but I guess what it proves is that other teams still consider Baertschi an NHL.

He’s dominated the AHL and now doubt that he could contribute somewhere. Hopefully the Canucks can find a partner and retain some salary. Hate seeing quality players playing below their ability.

Any offers or thoughts? If you think the thread is a bad idea then just click the back button.

Nucker42

Nov 27, 2011
The fact that they chose Kovulchuk over Baertschi should tell you what his value is. Its negative.
Signing Kovulchuk to a two way at 700k is why he was signed. Pretty sure he’s not getting signed if he even made 2 million.

Nucker42

Nov 27, 2011
Negative value. They were probably "considering" him if a sweetener was included. They could have had him for free on two different occasions this year.
I don’t think that’s relevant anymore... players get traded after being on waivers all the time. Too hard these days to take a contract without giving one up.

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010
which is why Baertschi has negative value. If he came at 700k as well, I’m sure there’d be a taker. He only gets moved in exchange for a cap dump or with fairly significant retention

Hell, someone might take him for cheap if his deal expired after this season. The extra season is why he's unlikely to move.

Frankie Blueberries

Allergic to draft picks
Jan 27, 2016
The fact that they chose Kovulchuk over Baertschi should tell you what his value is. Its negative.

I don’t disagree that Baer likely has negative value (unless retained), but what’s your logic behind this post? Of course Montreal would prefer a free agent at league minimum over making a trade and giving up an asset. How does Montreal signing Kovalchuk as a free agent indicate that Baer has negative value? Preferring one option over another doesn’t necessarily mean plan B had negative value.

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010
I don’t disagree that Baer likely has negative value (unless retained), but what’s your logic behind this post? Of course Montreal would prefer a free agent at league minimum over making a trade and giving up an asset. How does Montreal signing Kovalchuk as a free agent indicate that Baer has negative value? Preferring one option over another doesn’t necessarily mean plan B had negative value.

Montreal chose a player that they could sign to a two way deal and give up nothing over Baertschi. Logically, that would lead one to believe that Baertschi has less value than an almost entirely free player.

Retention might change that, but Montreal has cap space and money to spend. They showed that in acquiring Scandella. The issue then is the player+contract (and specifically the term).

Is it absolute proof? No. But it is literally impossible to make any inference on this board under that burden of proof.

Lenerdosy

Feb 23, 2015
Baer will eventually be swapped for another guy whos buried in the minors from another organization probably.

Cogburn

Pretend they're yachts.
May 28, 2010
Vancouver
Baer will eventually be swapped for another guy whos buried in the minors from another organization probably.

I mean if we can get a D (not Alzner) in a similar situation for a similar cap hit, bring it on. We always seem to get rolled flat by injuries.

If not, he, Goldy, Boucher and Rafferty can keep lighting up the A together.

dbaz

Jan 29, 2010
hes averaging 1.3 ppg in the ahl. a gm will take a chance on him later on in the season either tdl or the offseason. he will prob go for a 5th or a conditional.
hes still nhl calibre, hes just injury prone which is the big problem

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
I mean, sure...that's probably the sort of "tier" of player Baertschi is in these days. The sort that...if they were free agents, would get scooped up for $700k on a flyer. But with the contract Baertschi still has remaining...it's not really appealing to anyone, unless there's a comparable contract going back the other way.

AveryStar4Eva

Aug 28, 2014
The way he’s lighting up the AHL I bet he gets dealt in the offseason with money retained. Maybe someone will add him at this years deadline.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
If the nucks were willing to add something of value, the Habs would have been smart to take him as their AHL team is 2 pts back of the Nucks AHL team so getting their 2nd leading scorer for a banged up Laval team would have been smart.

Frankie Blueberries

Allergic to draft picks
Jan 27, 2016
Montreal chose a player that they could sign to a two way deal and give up nothing over Baertschi. Logically, that would lead one to believe that Baertschi has less value than an almost entirely free player.

Retention might change that, but Montreal has cap space and money to spend. They showed that in acquiring Scandella. The issue then is the player+contract (and specifically the term).

Is it absolute proof? No. But it is literally impossible to make any inference on this board under that burden of proof.

The bolded makes no sense.

Of course a team would prefer a free asset (Kovalchuk as a free agent) over giving up something in a trade. That has no bearing on the latter's value. I really am having a difficult time following your logic because it makes no sense.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
The bolded makes no sense.

Of course a team would prefer a free asset (Kovalchuk as a free agent) over giving up something in a trade. That has no bearing on the latter's value. I really am having a difficult time following your logic because it makes no sense.
I doubt the Canucks are holding onto Sven because they are not getting value on a return. Teams simply don’t want to commit to the extra year. That’s why Frolik and Scandella got moved last week for Mid round picks because they are soon to be ufa.

Reactions: Auston Escobar

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad