Recalled/Assigned: Baertschi reassigned, Goldobin recalled

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
My hot take is that Goldy is more of an NHLer than Baertschi is. Stronger underlying numbers last season, and he does seem to have some chemistry with Petey.

Goldy - Petey - Boeser
Miller - Horvat - Leivo/Pearson

Sad part is I don't know how both of these guys are being passed over in favour of Loui freakin' Eriksson

Reactions: DFAC

Zippgunn

May 15, 2011
Lhuntshi
R...ight, because being accountable is such a pointless and alien concept, and Eriksson is the first FA in human history who was bought out because he sucked balls.

Buy him out, sure, "make an example out of him" by punishing him for managing to squeeze big dough out of our gullible GM no. If I were the Canucks I would send him to Utica with the expressed intention of having him "mentor" our young players in the ways of the NHL, that is if he doesn't just up and retire (which is incredibly unlikely since he would be walking away from literally millions of dollars and I can't think of a player in recent NHL history who has done that). We are stuck with the guy so we might as well try to make some lemonaid out of this particular lemon and at the same time try to make our team look like a desirable destination for FA's (something that it is not right now).

Zippgunn

May 15, 2011
Lhuntshi
My hot take is that Goldy is more of an NHLer than Baertschi is. Stronger underlying numbers last season, and he does seem to have some chemistry with Petey.

Goldy - Petey - Boeser
Miller - Horvat - Leivo/Pearson

Sad part is I don't know how both of these guys are being passed over in favour of Loui freakin' Eriksson

Management probably thinks Loui is a better bottom 6 player than those two. They're probably right. Also imagine the furor here if Goldy or Baer were to get under 5 minutes of ES icetime a game...

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
The money difference between buyout vs AHL burying is only 1/3 of the remaining $4 million in salary, so $1.33 million out of pocket costs for Aquaman.

Zippgunn

May 15, 2011
Lhuntshi
This is probably Goldy's last chance here and if I were Green I would give him 10 games with Petey etc. For 10 games I would completely ignore any shortcoming and just let him get comfortable with one set of linemates and see what happens. Put him on the PP, feed him easy minutes, the works. Maybe, just maybe he catches fire. Can it be any worse than what we are doing at present?

Reactions: supercanuck

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Always had a soft spot in my heart for Goldy. I get the fact that he can be a train-wreck in his own zone. But on a team as starved for winger talent as the Canucks, he's a guy who's still potentially a top-six winger. And seems to have developed some real chemistry with Pettersson in past seasons.

He obviously went to Utica with the right attitude, and is being rewarded. I hope Green sticks him back on that top line for a few games, and moves Miller to another line to shore it up.

Reactions: bh53

Zippgunn

May 15, 2011
Lhuntshi
Baertschi I fear is done. Barely noticed him this time around. The epitome of the stereotypical skilled but timid Swiss forward. Back to Helvetia with you and thanks for the memories...

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
I really feel for Baertschi.....he's playing like he wants to avoid being hit....and you can hardly blame him. Another concussion might be it. But in the NHL you have to play the game with a certain amount of fearlessness. And getting to the dirty areas of the ice invites body contact, and hits to the head by opponents, either inadvertent or reckless, are a fact of life.

The unfortunate thing is that Baertschi is signed for another year after this one. And you can almost add it to the list of dead or buried contract space. Sigh! The Canucks have more bottom-of-the roster or unproductive players earning ridiculous money than any team in hockey.

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
Management probably thinks Loui is a better bottom 6 player than those two. They're probably right. Also imagine the furor here if Goldy or Baer were to get under 5 minutes of ES icetime a game...

Management is likely wrong. A ghost could replace Loui with no discernible difference.

Reactions: I am toxic

Intangibos

High-End Intangibos
Apr 5, 2010
Burnaby
Happy for Goldy, but I actually though Baertschi was one of our better forwards at creating opportunities the past few games.

Horvat Pettersson Goldobin
Baertschi Miller Boeser

is something I would like to see. Miller / Horvat can be swapped, I think Horvat already has chemistry with Baertschi/Boeser. Obviously without Baertschi though it won't happen (and wouldn't anyway)

Bertuzzzi44

Jun 26, 2018
Think that’s the last we’ll see of Baertschi in a Canucks jersey, he did nothing when called up, wish him the best as he seems like a good guy. Hope Goldobin can provide some spark but not counting on it.

Last edited:

Intangibos

High-End Intangibos
Apr 5, 2010
Burnaby
Think that’s the last we’ll see of Baertschi in a Canucks jersey, he did absolutely nothing when called up, wish him the best as he seems like a good guy. Hope Goldobin can provide some spark but not counting on it.

I've seen Baertschi create a number of chances since his return.

Can't believe people say "he did nothing" when we have worse players on the roster like Pearson or Leivo who are most certainly not as good as Baertschi.

Bertuzzzi44

Jun 26, 2018
I've seen Baertschi create a number of chances since his return.

Can't believe people say "he did nothing" when we have worse players on the roster like Pearson or Leivo who are most certainly not as good as Baertschi.

Pearson/Leivo > Baertschi. Baertschi isn’t a top 6 winger on a good team and doesn’t have the 2-way play, compete level, defensive reliability and forechecking that Pearson and Leivo bring to the table. If you’re a skilled forward you better produce and he clearly didn’t.

Last edited:
Reactions: Megaterio Llamas

Intangibos

High-End Intangibos
Apr 5, 2010
Burnaby
Pearson/Leivo > Baertschi. Baertschi isn’t a top 6 winger on a good team and doesn’t have the 2-way play, compete level, defensive reliability and checking that Pearson and Leivo bring to the table. If you’re a skilled forward you better produce and he clearly didn’t.

There are a few things with this post. First of all, Baertschi may not be a top 6 winger on a good team but neither are Leivo and Pearson who have spent time in our top 6. Baertschi is a better top-6 option than either of those players. Until we have 6 better top-6 players than Baertschi he should be in the lineup.

On top of that the whole "we need a 2 way reliable defensive 3rd line". Why? This game is about scoring more than your opponent. You can do that by scoring more or getting scored on less. If Baertschi has the puck in the offensive zone more than a player like Pearson he is already almost certainly a better option than Pearson. The Sedins in their prime were two of the best players in the league. They certainly weren't that because of their play in their own zone but it was irrelevant because they almost always had the puck in the offensive zone.

Horvat Pettersson Goldobin
Baertschi Miller Boeser
Ferland Sutter Gaudette
Roussel/Pearson/Leivo Beagle Virtanen/Eriksson

This is a balanced, albeit poor and expensive lineup. There are obvious spots for upgrades. Goldobin isn't a 1st line player in the NHL and probably isn't even a 2nd liner, but he has shown some chemistry with Pettersson and is Leivo really a significant upgrade? I doubt it. Ferland, Pearson, Beagle, Eriksson etc are too expensive for their roles on the team, but just because they're too expensive doesn't mean you just promote them. Once they're counted against the cap you just do what makes the most sense ignoring the cap hit. This also provides Horvat with probably easier minutes which might translate to being able to handle more ice-time including PK without wearing out like he always seems to.

As contracts expire you replace overpaid bottom 6 guys like Eriksson/Beagle/Pearson with cheaper options to upgrade on guys like Baertschi and Goldobin.

The Iron Goalie

Formally 'OEL for Norris'
Feb 8, 2012
Langley, BC
When the injured guys are back,

Goldobin, Pettersson, Miller
Roussel, Horvat, Boeser
Pearson, Gaudette, Sutter
Leivo, Beagle, Virtanen
Schaller

dombrova22

Apr 12, 2017
Goldobin isn't the answer like some of you feel he is lol. He's not better than Baertschi. Just another soft perimeter player.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Goldobin isn't the answer like some of you feel he is lol. He's not better than Baertschi. Just another soft perimeter player.
You might be right....but you have to give him props for sucking it up and heading to the minors with a positive attitude and working on the parts of his game where he needs to improve.

I for one thought that when he got sent out after training camp, he'd just head to the KHL and that the Canucks would release him. And that would be last we ever saw of him. But Goldy seems determined to do whatever it takes to play in the NHL. And from all reports his play on the other side of the puck improved in Utica.

He's shown more determination than I thought he had.

Reactions: dombrova22

Askel

By the way Benning should be fired.
Apr 19, 2004
Malmö/Vancouver
No
The time to buy him out is next season because of his contract structure
Loui Eriksson Buyout Details

Cost Calculations

BUYOUT DATEBASE SALARY REMAININGS.BONUS REMAININGYEARS REMAININGBUYOUT LENGTHAGEBUYOUT RATIOTOTAL COSTTOTAL SAVINGSANNUAL COST
Jun 15, 2020$4,000,000$4,000,00024342/3$2,666,667$1,333,333$666,667
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
Cap Hit Calculations

SEASONINITIAL BASE SALARYINITIAL CAP HITSIGNING BONUSBUYOUT COSTPOST-BUYOUT EARNINGSSAVINGSCAP HIT (
vancouver_canucks.svg
VAN)
2020-21$1,000,000$6,000,000$3,000,000$666,667$3,666,667$333,333$5,666,667
2021-22$3,000,000$6,000,000$1,000,000$666,667$1,666,667$2,333,333$3,666,667
2022-23$0$0$0$666,667$666,667-$666,667$666,667
2023-24$0$0$0$666,667$666,667-$666,667$666,667
TOTAL$4,000,000$12,000,000$4,000,000$2,666,667$6,666,667$1,333,333$10,666,668
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Bougieman

Nov 12, 2008
Vancouver
This is probably Goldy's last chance here and if I were Green I would give him 10 games with Petey etc. For 10 games I would completely ignore any shortcoming and just let him get comfortable with one set of linemates and see what happens. Put him on the PP, feed him easy minutes, the works. Maybe, just maybe he catches fire. Can it be any worse than what we are doing at present?

Can't be any worse. Canucks are often scoring a single goal a game for the last month, and only have 3 wins in their last 10 games.

Weirdly, San Jose has 9 wins in their last 10, and yet we're still ahead of them in standings, somehow!? One team trending up, the other trending down.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad