Recalled/Assigned: Baertschi called up, expected to play in Montreal

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
I did watch specifically Sven for every second he was on the ice in the first period last game (after the fact). The times when he was coasting, he was coasting in good position, with the puck somewhere else on the ice. When he wasn't where he was supposed to be, he skated hard to where he was supposed to be. I don't understand how you're supposed to cover the point guy with intensity while the puck is in the far corner, or get in the cross-ice passing lane on the backcheck with intensity while the puck carrier is on the far boards. Sven did a lot of things with intensity. He chased the puck down with intensity on the forecheck. He tried to disrupt the breakout as the long forechecker... again with intensity. So I can't agree with that analysis. Again, it seems that it's trying to match what the poster sees with what the poster thinks he sees. What I saw in my viewing (as I mentioned before) was over and over again the puck finding ways to avoid Sven. It's a two game sample size. It can't keep up forever.

And when I watched him in Adirondack, the puck was on his stick a lot and he was generating offence with it. So colour me not worried.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
That was a good read, but I think Sven's problem is much more simple, yet more complexed. Confidence..

When Sven is playing confident, he is a different player and he is much more engaged. Sven's problem is his head, he needs to figure it out or else he'll never be an NHL player. I do agree with his assessment of Hartley's handling of him though.

Gritty

Nov 28, 2011
Looked much better tonight. Hopefully he can carry some momentum/confidence from this game and build off it against the Panthers.

Skobel24

#Ignited
May 23, 2008
Winnipeg
Awful game by Sven tonight. I'd love nothing more than to see him succeed here, but I am starting to think his time may be running out. Granlund and Gaudreau have earned the spots ahead of him, and Ferland is close behind. I also think we could see Agostino by the end of the year if the Flames are out of the running.

May 27, 2012
Earth
Awful game by Sven tonight. I'd love nothing more than to see him succeed here, but I am starting to think his time may be running out. Granlund and Gaudreau have earned the spots ahead of him, and Ferland is close behind. I also think we could see Agostino by the end of the year if the Flames are out of the running.

Inb4 Sven brigade.

Guido Sarducci

Aug 7, 2012
canyon meadows
I blame coaching. He just needs more minutes.

Seriously, He is a "meh" player from a weak draft. It happens all the time. Time to move on. Maybe he can find his game again in a Euro league ala Brendl. Besides, the Flames got Gaudreau, Granlund and Wotherspoon out of that draft. We will be OK.

Last edited:

tyflames

Jul 4, 2010
I'm just being honest. I used to be one of the guys who constantly defended him. He's very quickly falling down the depth chart.

This as well. I always thought that it would just be time to find that scoring touch like he had in the WHL and the early part of his profession career but now I don't know if he is going to find it. His confidence is very low and it seems like he is just hoping it reappears.

Noori

Jul 7, 2007
Calgary
Kind of regret buying a Sven jersey a year or two back. Oh well, I can wear it as an ironic jersey in 10-15 years when no one knows who he is. I want Sven to succeed but he just doesn't seem to have the motor. What the hell happened to his speed? He looks as slow as Setoguchi out there. I'd love for him to succeed but he has regressed every pro season and I just don't see it happening at this point.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
Kind of regret buying a Sven jersey a year or two back. Oh well, I can wear it as an ironic jersey in 10-15 years when no one knows who he is. I want Sven to succeed but he just doesn't seem to have the motor. What the hell happened to his speed? He looks as slow as Setoguchi out there. I'd love for him to succeed but he has regressed every pro season and I just don't see it happening at this point.

Hey, where you been?

To me, it's still all about confidence. If Sven is as mentally fragile as its looking, he will never have an NHL career. I don't know him, so I'm not sure if that's the case, but it's looking like its a real issue. A coach cannot coddle their players, it doesn't work that way in a pro league, these guys aren't boys anymore. If Sven can find a way to over come this adversity, they're will be a massive reward for everyone, he just needs to stick with it and find it upstairs.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
Sven, in his 7:10 of ice time, received a pass with puck support on the rush exactly 1 time. Out of that, he got a good shot and the rebound was whacked at a few times; overall a good scoring chance.

Yes, he was completely invisible in the third period. He didn't get a second on the ice in the third period, though, so I hope that's excusable.

I don't know what else to say. Seeing Sven out there with virtually no time with the puck, then coming on here to say he played a bad game? I don't get it. I'd understand if Baertschi kept giving the puck away over and over. I'd understand if he was making lazy plays or not backchecking. But he isn't giving the puck away over and over or making lazy plays because he hasn't had the opportunities to do so.

I think the problem is Byron at centre, to be honest. I think he needs to play wing, because since he's been forced into the centre of the ice, he and his line have generated nothing.

Ashasx

Jun 30, 2010
I don't know how Sven was awful. Yeah, he didn't do anything, but as I've said, anyone who watched that game with an objective view point knows that he was not at all to blame for any of those goals against. His +/- was completely misleading. I couldn't find any particular instance where he made a bad play or made a wrong decision.

He had one good shot on net, but besides that, was given little support on the breakout.

Not saying he's been good, and he won't stick with the team once injuries clear up, but hard to expect much otherwise.

I am frustrated that Hartley doesn't feel confident using him anymore. I don't know why. For 2 months beginning last season, Sven was frequently used in the 3rd period. Even in tied hockey games. I would like to see the team put him in new situations.

Last edited:

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
Pretty obvious that a lot of people have confirmation bias when it comes to Baertschi. They're looking for him to fail.

May 27, 2012
Earth
or maybe it's Sven that wants to see people fail?

18yce82pi0rp9gif.gif

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
I don't know how Sven was awful. Yeah, he didn't do anything, but as I've said, anyone who watched that game with an objective view point knows that he was not at all to blame for any of those goals against. His +/- was completely misleading. I couldn't find any particular instance where he made a bad play or made a wrong decision.

He had one good shot on net, but besides that, was given little support on the breakout.

Not saying he's been good, and he won't stick with the team once injuries clear up, but hard to expect much otherwise.

I am frustrated that Hartley doesn't feel confident using him anymore. I don't know why. For 2 months beginning last season, Sven was frequently used in the 3rd period. Even in tied hockey games. I would like to see the team put him in new situations.

Well, you can point out a few instances where he missed a pass, or where he lost the puck trying to deke... but he hasn't consistently made poor decisions, and his rate of making mistakes is no higher than other players on the team. I'm also confused by Hartley. It's hard to criticize a coach too much when he has this team playing so well, but I think at some point he has to realize that if Baertschi loses all his confidence, that doesn't help the team at all.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Well, you can point out a few instances where he missed a pass, or where he lost the puck trying to deke... but he hasn't consistently made poor decisions, and his rate of making mistakes is no higher than other players on the team. I'm also confused by Hartley. It's hard to criticize a coach too much when he has this team playing so well, but I think at some point he has to realize that if Baertschi loses all his confidence, that doesn't help the team at all.
What I think it comes down to though is the fact Sven isn't playing better than any of the guys ahead of him. You can't move up and get more time unless you are outplaying people ahead of you.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
What I think it comes down to though is the fact Sven isn't playing better than any of the guys ahead of him. You can't move up and get more time unless you are outplaying people ahead of you.

He isn't not being moved up. He's being moved down. In the third, Bollig got a few shifts. Baertschi got none.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
He isn't not being moved up. He's being moved down. In the third, Bollig got a few shifts. Baertschi got none.
Completely different roles though. You can't just remove your checking line from the game, but you can remove a 3rd scoring line.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Bollig can't do squat, checking or otherwise. Seto has been equally invisible, although he isn't a liability.
Seto is on the same line as Baertschi and Baertschi has zero ability to play RW.

And if you think Bollig can't do squat you aren't paying enough attention, but even though Bouma and Jooris do and they are other members of the checking line

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
I did not watch the game yesterday, so if my comments are off base please tell me.

If you consider a straight line as a measuring stick for performance, Sven has neither played below or over it. He's basically playing right on it, that is to say he's not making any mistakes, however he's also not playing over that line by creating much, using his skill and making anything happen. Basically he's not playing to his potential, he's doing the status quo which for him is not good enough. My comments are based on what I've seen from him.

Now in regards to his playing time, he's battling Gaudreau and Glencross for minutes. I asked this in another GDT and no one responded, but if you give Sven more minutes, who do you take them from? I honestly don't know that he's done enough to take minutes from either of those two.

I'll admit 1000% Hartley is being harsh on him, but it's for a reason. Hartley is trying push him and make him play like a man possessed every single time he steps out on the ice. It's a really frustrating and unfortunate situation for everyone because I know Sven has it in him, I love that kid and I've seen him play that way but to me he's just lacking confidence. I don't know what the problem is, but I know that the answer lies within Sven and he's the only one who can solve the problem.

Again if any of my comments are out of context in regards to his game yesterday, I apologize and please let me know. But from the sounds of things, yesterday's game was more of the same.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad