Bad look for Evan Bouchard...ducks a hit and controller disconnects

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
This has been his scouting report for awhile
Literally go read his prospects page

This specific area of his game
He would rather give up possession in the corners, and doesn’t like to battle there
He has mostly ironed it out but sometimes still has brain farts.

Reactions: DrDangles

Big Daddy Cane

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2010
Western PA
I first thought of Gonchar.

It’s Travis Moen with the puck. Gonchar has forward support on the backcheck and the other D is in position to cut off the middle of the ice. Moen has just one option. If Gonchar eliminates him after the chip, it’s a penalty. Giving up the low-danger (?) chance is the right play.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
He ranks 46th for defenders with 1000+ minutes 5v5 in GA/60. Above notably shitty defenders like Makar and Pietrangelo
6th in xGA as well. So either Ekholm is the best defender in the league to cover for apparently the worst defender in the league, Oilers forwards are elite defensively (they aren’t), or Bouchard is far better defensively than a guy who “is so bad he is barely NHL quality defensively”.

Players make dumb plays sometimes, doesn’t erase the rest of their play

Three On Zero

Deranged Oreo Dolphin Parking Instructor
Sponsor
Oct 9, 2012
This has been his scouting report for awhile
Literally go read his prospects page

This specific area of his game
He would rather give up possession in the corners, and doesn’t like to battle there
He’s the next generation Tyson Barrie, flashes of offensive brilliance but can’t be trusted defensively/physically

Macheteops

Apr 13, 2005
He’s soft. He lacks urgency in his game. At times it makes him look clueless and lazy while other times he looks poised and confident typically in the offensive zone

He does pair well with Ekholm. He has had decent stretches of quality D and with what he brings offensively he is easily a net positive player but you ll have to eat those mistakes as a team fairly frequently

I wouldn't be upset if he priced himself out of Edmonton and would have zero issues with him back at a fair price but if he is looking for Norris type money I'd pass

Czechboy

Ceší do toho!
Apr 15, 2018
This thread is amazing.. Bouch has over a .ppg pace. Should we make a thread for every elite pass or shot too? Because they far outnumber the occasional stupid mistake. The reason I know they are occasional is because threads like this get made when he does do them.lol

It's probably TO driven this time although the usuals are here. Reminds me of when TO had Kessel and he'd scoring at a 50 Goal pace and all the media would focus on is how he doesn't backcheck like David Kampf.lol

So PLEASE open a thread every time this happens. No one will defend that play not even his own mother but he also had 2 points last night and Edmonton only had 3 goals.

Czechboy

Ceší do toho!
Apr 15, 2018
Also, make sure to follow the steps to Bouch trashing...

1. Don't watch him and only watch highlights of his mistakes.
2. Make shit up - 'I've been told repeatedly he will win the Norris'... not one OIler fan has ever said that. Not ONE. But please keep arguing and quoting ghosts. FTR.. he will be in the talks and probably get a few votes.
3. quote stats that contradict each other! From this thread: 'his +/- was minus 2 last night'.. it means he sucks. But he's plus 29 on the season and near the top in plus/minus... 'that's because plus/minus is a meaningless stat and he plays with McD'.
4. give all the credit to everyone but him.. It's Ek ALL of it. It's McD doing ALL of it. His mistakes are his own. HIs successes are coaching and teamates only.
5. compare him to players nowhere near him in ability.. Marc Andre Bergeron is hillarious. Totaly the same tier of player. Barrie's career high is 59 points and Bouch his already at 69. MAB's career high is 34 points.

Reactions: Sniper99

Czechboy

Ceší do toho!
Apr 15, 2018
37 goals/primaries to 31 secondary assists, he’s been great but he’s always benefited heavily from who he plays with. That kind of point already doesn’t cancel out his defensive habits
Is that like how wins don't count if the PDO is too high? Or the shooting percentage is too high?

Reactions: CycloneSweep

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
37 goals/primaries to 31 secondary assists, he’s been great but he’s always benefited heavily from who he plays with. That kind of point already doesn’t cancel out his defensive habits
His defensive habits that happen once in a blue moon? If Bouchard was as bad defensively as you say he is, his defensive metrics would also be horrid, and he wouldn’t have a very good goal differential.
So your clear bias against this player constantly just makes you look silly.

Reactions: Czechboy

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Actually, can you post the table of D for goals and primary points only.. I'd love to see where he ranks just on his goals and primary points combined. Something tells me Top 10.
Don’t have the chart for goals/first assists combined but he is 5th in goals, 8th in first assists and 3rd in secondary assists.

Hughes is 9th, 3rd and 1st…but weirdly main boards don’t shit on Hughes for his secondary assists.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Quinn Hughes 42 goals/primaries to 38 secondary assists, he’s been great but he’s always benefit d heavily from who he plays with. That kind of point already doesn’t cancel out his defensive habits

Oh wait.

Reactions: iliketorock

Three On Zero

Sponsor
Oct 9, 2012
His defensive habits that happen once in a blue moon? If Bouchard was as bad defensively as you say he is, his defensive metrics would also be horrid, and he wouldn’t have a very good goal differential.
So your clear bias against this player constantly just makes you look silly.
His defensive habits happen every game. You don’t need to rely on faulty advanced stats to see that, Ekholm covers up for a lot of his bad habits

Last edited:

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
H

His defensive habits happen every game. You don’t need to rely on faulty advanced stats to see that
They don’t happen every game?
Okay now answer me this. If Bouchard is abysmal, the advanced stats are wrong and he is making these awful plays all the time, then why isn’t he CONSTANTLY being scored on? Do the Oilers have elite offensive forwards to make up for it? Do we have incredible goaltending? Is Ekholm secretly one of the best defenders in the league?
If it’s constantly happening, and Bouchard is playing against a ton of tough competition, why was that only his second goal against this Month?

What’s the explanation there Mr “I know better than everyone”

Czechboy

Ceší do toho!
Apr 15, 2018
Forgot one.. damn.

Leaf's posters - Austin Matthews is the best player in the world, he will score 70 goals, win the Hart and lead us to a cup. He is elite and better than everyone.

Matthews makes Bouch look stupid - Bouch is a bum and can't defend.

That was Matthews, right? This clip would be better if it was Kampf doing it.

Reactions: CycloneSweep

Three On Zero

Sponsor
Oct 9, 2012
They don’t happen every game?
Okay now answer me this. If Bouchard is abysmal, the advanced stats are wrong and he is making these awful plays all the time, then why isn’t he CONSTANTLY being scored on? Do the Oilers have elite offensive forwards to make up for it? Do we have incredible goaltending? Is Ekholm secretly one of the best defenders in the league?
If it’s constantly happening, and Bouchard is playing against a ton of tough competition, why was that only his second goal against this Month?

What’s the explanation there Mr “I know better than everyone”
I don’t know better than an everyone, I just agree with what everyone else also sees from Bouchard ;)

sr edler

gold is not reality
Mar 20, 2010
At least Oilers D makes for high scoring games, isn't that what the mob wants. We should be happy.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad