Value of: Backup Goalie to STL

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
Just to be clear, my post/offer was in response to OP representation StL hard urgent, unavoidable need to immediately add G solution now.

Srsly

Feb 8, 2011
Upland
No thanks Bernier is not an upgrade. Husso is finding his stride. 28 saves last night. .933 sv%
Fwiw I actually view Bernier as an upgrade as he’s played better behind the tire fire wings defense than Husso has on the Blues. I don’t think I’d deal them one for one as the Blues can win without Bernier level goaltending so the younger goalie with upside is worth more than the older goalie who’s proven a little inconsistent over his career but Bernier has absolutely played like a starter this season. I had no idea how much he’d improved until I started watching more Wings games(One of my friends is a wings fan and I started getting bored and would watch them to discuss the games afterwards). He’d be an excellent stop gap for a contender.

Reactions: DingDongCharlie

Reality Czech

Apr 17, 2017
Husso will be fine. He’s seemingly getting more comfortable every game, and he’s won his last 4 decisions. If the Blues acquire any goalie, it’d likely be at the TDL as insurance for him and Binner.

That's what I'm thinking. If Husso looks shaky going forward then I could see them pick up a veteran backup as insurance at the deadline, but there's plenty of time to see if Ville can be relied on. He's looked better lately so I'm not in a rush to make a move.

If a move is needed, someone like Bernier might be an option although I can't see him fetching a 2nd even with retention. I can't imagine a veteran backup would cost more than a mid-round draft pick and/or an average prospect or something like that.

Reactions: CaliforniaBlues310

Colt55

Sep 28, 2017
st. Louis
Fwiw I actually view Bernier as an upgrade as he’s played better behind the tire fire wings defense than Husso has on the Blues. I don’t think I’d deal them one for one as the Blues can win without Bernier level goaltending so the younger goalie with upside is worth more than the older goalie who’s proven a little inconsistent over his career but Bernier has absolutely played like a starter this season. I had no idea how much he’d improved until I started watching more Wings games(One of my friends is a wings fan and I started getting bored and would watch them to discuss the games afterwards). He’d be an excellent stop gap for a contender.
Sorry husso is very young and needs time to adjust to nhl. He has improved every game he has played. There is no need for Bernier. Non at all.

Colt55

Sep 28, 2017
st. Louis
That's what I'm thinking. If Husso looks shaky going forward then I could see them pick up a veteran backup as insurance at the deadline, but there's plenty of time to see if Ville can be relied on. He's looked better lately so I'm not in a rush to make a move.

If a move is needed, someone like Bernier might be an option although I can't see him fetching a 2nd even with retention. I can't imagine a veteran backup would cost more than a mid-round draft pick and/or an average prospect or something like that.
Brian Elliot got us a second and he is and was far superior to bernier

GoldenSeal

Believe In The Note
Dec 1, 2013
Out West
Blues need a defensive solid Dman with some talent who can grind and shelter more than they need a backup goalie.

WATTAGE4451

Jan 4, 2018
No thanks Bernier is not an upgrade. Husso is finding his stride. 28 saves last night. .933 sv%
That was hussos first game in the last 5 with a sv% above league average. One game does not a turnaround make.

If husso can string together 3 ir 4 good games, then maybe we can talk about him hitting stride, but hes been garbage.

Bernier has put up league average stats the last 2 years on absolutely defensively garbage teams and vastly outplaying the other goalie on his team both years. He is a solid goalie.

Colt55

Sep 28, 2017
st. Louis
That was hussos first game in the last 5 with a sv% above league average. One game does not a turnaround make.

If husso can string together 3 ir 4 good games, then maybe we can talk about him hitting stride, but hes been garbage.

Bernier has put up league average stats the last 2 years on absolutely defensively garbage teams and vastly outplaying the other goalie on his team both years. He is a solid goalie.
We don't need Bernier. Husso needs time to adjust. Also it's not like the blues defense has been performing.

Em etah Eh

Maroon PP
Jul 17, 2007
Just to be clear, my post/offer was in response to OP representation StL hard urgent, unavoidable need to immediately add G solution now.
And the title of the thread is backup goalie. So I doubt anybody’s trading a first for a backup goalie...

simon IC

Sponsor
Sep 8, 2007
Canada
I don't think there is any need to panic, at least just yet. Let's ride out our injuries and see how our playoff picture looks before we spend any assets on a back-up goaltender,

Reactions: stl76 and YP44

Louie the Blue

Because it's a trap
Jul 27, 2010
There’s no point in the Blues trading for a backup right now.

This is Husso’s first season as backup and the team is getting absolutely hammered by injuries right now.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad