Backstrom played with broken finger

Howie Hodge

Zombie Woof
Sep 16, 2017
Buffalo, NY
Played two Stanley Cup Final games on a broken leg:
Well late in game #6, and then game #7, 1964.

5bff77b95aa886d4714306c670ed27b9.jpg

Leafs Defenceman Bobby Baun

What was your point again...............??

Last edited:
Reactions: Rob Brown

Goose

Apr 18, 2006
I hate using the word "underrated" on these boards, but if anyone is underrated and underappreciated it's Backstrom. People seem to disagree with the idea he is elite.

Past ten years production in the NHL, Backstrom is 5th.

NHL Player Stats in Last 10 Seasons

FIFTH in ten years. If that's not elite production and consistency, with a well documented defensive side to his game, I don't what is.

Chips

Aug 19, 2015
Has been known that his hand was badly injured the for multiple rounds. I don’t remember the exact wording so idk if “broken” came, but RMNB at least had a picture of his hand captured from a press conference or interview. His finger looked like 2-3 fused together

Chips

Aug 19, 2015
I hate using the word "underrated" on these boards, but if anyone is underrated and underappreciated it's Backstrom. People seem to disagree with the idea he is elite.

Past ten years production in the NHL, Backstrom is 5th.

NHL Player Stats in Last 10 Seasons

FIFTH in ten years. If that's not elite production and consistency, with a well documented defensive side to his game, I don't what is.
This. People say because it’s freauently brought up that he’s underrated, that he can’t be underrated.

Yet seemingly on every top 10/20/30 or so list he’s often nowhere near the top. Not saying he should be at the top of everyone’s list but I wouldn’t think it be as uncommon as it is.

He’s not flashy but pure efficiency and consistency.

helax

General Hockey Fan
Apr 2, 2013
According to him it was broken at the knuckle joint. Can't even imagine moving the finger with the joint chopped off.

Lampedampe

Feb 26, 2015
Played two Stanley Cup Final games on a broken leg:
Well late in game #6, and then game #7, 1964.

View attachment 125087
Leafs Defenceman Bobby Baun

What was your point again...............??

Baun sure seems to have been quite the tough guy, from wiki;
"Baun played with a broken leg as well as having a skate cut his neck. Tim Horton found him outside the tour bus and carried him to local hospital where he was found to be hemorrhaging. After many pints of blood, he was placed next to his wife who was giving birth to their third son"

Holy shit.

Reactions: bur and 666 others

McVechkin

Jun 29, 2015
so that's why Ovi had to help him lift/skate with the Cup.

backstrom asked him to skate with him and then hold it. I think it was more a camaraderie thing and nothing to do with finger. Ovechkin held the left side.. and i believe it was backstroms right hand.. so doesnt add up that he was helping.

McVechkin

Jun 29, 2015
Yeah, but Orpik doesn't use his hands in the same way Backstrom does. He could fuse a brick to his wrist and it probably wouldn't change his game much.

this. And tip of the pinkie finger vs. knuckle/joint of the index finger are incredibly different. While one in more gruesome than the other, I would prefer to play with the pinkie injury.

tony d

New poll series coming from me on June 3
Jun 23, 2007
Behind A Tree
Interesting, always a lot of guys who play injured during the playoffs. Backstrom did the same and looked quite good in doing so.

HTFN

Feb 8, 2009
this. And tip of the pinkie finger vs. knuckle/joint of the index finger are incredibly different. While one in more gruesome than the other, I would prefer to play with the pinkie injury.

frankly I'd rather break a finger, any finger, than need to reattach one.

Reactions: Spazkat

McVechkin

Jun 29, 2015
frankly I'd rather break a finger, any finger, than need to reattach one.

Depends on what you are doing. if you can take it easy and relax.. broken finger might be better... but if you have to play elite level hockey, you (the general you) would prefer the tip of the pinkie finger.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad