WWE: Backstage concern over Finn Balor's health; Bayley's future on main roster

M.C.G. 31

Damn, he brave!
Oct 6, 2008
Ottawa
- It's no secret that WWE NXT Champion Finn Balor and NXT Women's Champion Bayley often mention in media interviews how they're happy staying in NXT. Apparently this has been a major discussion point within NXT.

There's a concern among some that the more NXT tours in 2016, Balor will be breaking down his body carrying the NXT main events before he gets to the real money and the main roster. Balor is 34 now and with the years he worked in Japan, the concern comes from NXT relying so much on Balor to have great matches as the main attraction of the brand.

Regarding Bayley, there's been some discussion over whether she will be the biggest female star in WWE history or if she will fail on the main roster. According to The Wrestling Observer Newsletter, the feeling in WWE is that there's no in between for Bayley. Some people see Bayley as a female John Cena, with the idea that she could do charity work and bring in younger female fans.

Source: Wrestling Observer Newsletter

The day Bayley gets called up is the day the division changes, imo.

NewAgeOutlaw

Belie Dat!
Jul 15, 2011
412/724
I don't see how Bayley could fail. She's just too damn likeable. Her character is not at all my cup of tea but she's still captivating to watch.

Of course, creative is well versed in the art of ruining great wrestlers with terrible booking.

Dr Pepper

Dec 9, 2005
Sunny Etobicoke
I don't see how Bayley could fail. She's just too damn likeable. Her character is not at all my cup of tea but she's still captivating to watch.

Of course, creative is well versed in the art of ruining great wrestlers with terrible booking.

That's the most alarming aspect to all of this, too.

They've destroyed so many, over the years. :help:

bruins309

Krejci Fight Club
Sep 17, 2007
The way Bayley fails is simple: if they continue to book the main roster women according to the whims of the show Total Divas, of which I don't think Bayley would/should be a part. They have shown ZERO commitment to doing things like NXT does which is a perfect spot for her.

As for Balor, that's weird. Couldn't he get hurt at any point like anyone else? Not seeing the issue, it's not like he's working ladder matches around the horn.

AfroThunder396

[citation needed]
Jan 8, 2006
Miami, FL
They'll put Bayley on Total Divas, make her wear skimpy ring gear, the announcers will never put her over, have her become romantically involved with Dolph Ziggler, and then they'll turn her heel out of desperation and claim she just can't "connect with the audience".

Kimi

Jun 24, 2004
Newcastle upon Tyne
The way Bayley fails is simple: if they continue to book the main roster women according to the whims of the show Total Divas, of which I don't think Bayley would/should be a part. They have shown ZERO commitment to doing things like NXT does which is a perfect spot for her.

As for Balor, that's weird. Couldn't he get hurt at any point like anyone else? Not seeing the issue, it's not like he's working ladder matches around the horn.
The point with Bálor is that he's old. He's got a lot of ring miles on him from working in Japan and his body will start to break down sooner rather than later. Carrying NXT tours with constant 4-star matches is not going to help him at all; hiding in 6-man tag matches isn't an option in NXT like it is for the main roster guys.

If the WWE want to make money with him they need to make use of him now, before he starts to break down.

It's got nothing to do with potential random injuries that can happen to anyone.

Le Tricolore

Boo! BOOOO!
Aug 3, 2005
Montreal
I hope the WWE isn't talking about how Bayley could be the biggest female star in history. That's HUGE pressure to put on her.

She'll also likely never amount to Chyna's popularity.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002

I'm actually surprised Balor works as much as he does, I figured he would get more nights off. He's not really someone who needs those reps. But if he's really going to stick in NXT, that's a lot of travel he's not taking that should keep him fresh.

UnrealMachine

Jul 9, 2012
Pittsburgh, USA
Again, I'm quite confident (I'll bet my life savings and give you 3 to 1 odds) that those "I'm happy right here in NXT" quotes are just marketing efforts to their fans. Every single wrestler in NXT wants to leave there and be on the main roster, period. At least Bayley is still young. Balor isn't.

Paris in Flames

Feb 4, 2009
Again, I'm quite confident (I'll bet my life savings and give you 3 to 1 odds) that those "I'm happy right here in NXT" quotes are just marketing efforts to their fans. Every single wrestler in NXT wants to leave there and be on the main roster, period. At least Bayley is still young. Balor isn't.

Maybe for guys like Breeze who, I'm assuming, get a good pay increase with the main roster promotion.

Balor can make good money in NXT so I can believe he's comfortable staying down there.

M.C.G. 31

Damn, he brave!
Oct 6, 2008
Ottawa
Balor's being paid more than anyone in NXT, I believe. His merchandise sells well. He may not be making the "big bucks", but he's probably having the time of his life in NXT right now and you can't really put a price on having fun. He probably knows if he goes to the main roster professional wrestling becomes a job.

Cujorulesdtown9

More Blue Pants
Sep 9, 2007
Michigan
The funny part is, it's always "concern about the superstar getting called up" when really it's the writers they should be concerned about.

The superstars have proven they can work, it's the booking aspect that solidifies it, or completely destroys it on the main roster.

Saying bayley could be the biggest women's star in history or flop, that's some insane pressure, that's almost not even fair to her, they should just see if it works (don't see why it wouldn't), book it CORRECTLY, and build from there.

It's thinking like that, and god awful booking that made the diva's revolution a disaster.

Last edited:

Kimi

Jun 24, 2004
Newcastle upon Tyne
It is insane pressure, but anyone with half a brain can see the potential she has and the roll she could fill. There's no point hiding the true when it's right there in front of everyone to see.

Being a female Cena will be an insanely hard job. Even with the company going at 100% behind here to make it work. She really does have to be ready for it.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E

Totally agree. Honestly if you want to do Bayley 100% correctly. The "Divas" division has to go away, and it needs to become the Women's division again.

Bayley has the potential to be GOAT. She has all the best qualities of Cena and DB wrapped up into her own unique package. They have to just have the courage to let her off the chains and do her thing.

Of course they have to develop the division too. They can't just do Sasha/Bayley forever.

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
If you think Bayley will not be ruined by the main roster, you are sadly mistaken. They have ruined every single NXTer other than Owens... who one could argue they ruined the extent of how over he could be. One could argue Owens also makes himself great instead of the writing.

Paris in Flames

Feb 4, 2009
To be fair....Rollins was in NXT...as was Roman etc.

But yes. Recent graduates have all failed sans Owens.

GarbageGoal

Courage
Dec 1, 2005
RI
If the writing sucks or Vince "doesn't get her", she will fail.

WWE's template for pushed divas is biatch, tramp or crazy. Or if you're lucky, no personality (Nattie, Charlotte, Becky).

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
man, they ain't no writing issue. It's all on the showrunner, which is Vince

Whoever is booking the match itself is to blame, too. Women are putting on great matches whether it's 4 minutes or 15 minutes in NXT. In WWE, the matches are awful. Someone is booking the match like ****.

M.C.G. 31

Damn, he brave!
Oct 6, 2008
Ottawa
Whoever is booking the match itself is to blame, too. Women are putting on great matches whether it's 4 minutes or 15 minutes in NXT. In WWE, the matches are awful. Someone is booking the match like ****.

"Don't one-up the men."

For some reason, I feel like that'd be a line backstage by one of the road agents.

GindyDraws

I will not disable my Adblock, HF
Mar 13, 2014
Indianapolis
If you think Bayley will not be ruined by the main roster, you are sadly mistaken. They have ruined every single NXTer other than Owens... who one could argue they ruined the extent of how over he could be. One could argue Owens also makes himself great instead of the writing.

I'd also argue Rusev was the most successful NXT alumni (excluding the Shield) before he had the inevitable role of being the monster that was fed to John Cena so Cena could overcome the odds and all that junk.

Dr Pepper

Dec 9, 2005
Sunny Etobicoke
I'd also argue Rusev was the most successful NXT alumni (excluding the Shield) before he had the inevitable role of being the monster that was fed to John Cena so Cena could overcome the odds and all that junk.

Wyatt had a nice little run too, before he, too, was snuffed out by Cena.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad