"Backes Revenge" game against Chicago

anlongo13

Aug 6, 2014
Ottumwa, IA
I doubt anything happens. Both teams go out of their way to hit each other all the time, anyways. The first few minutes of every game is guys trying to hit someone. The Backes hit is done and over with, series is over, and both players shook hands. I don't think any of our guys will deliberately go after any Hawks.

With that being said, if any of our guys get a chance to put a hit on Seabrook, Bickell, or Keith, I can imagine they will be putting a little extra on it.

2 Minute Minor

Hi Keeba!
Jun 3, 2008
Temple, Texas
I would expect the next game to be called tightly.

I really think the playoff reffing should be indicted by incidents like this. It was clear that they weren't calling penalties. I understand the desire to not have the calls decide the outcome of the games, but I think if things were called consistenly with the regular season (and as accurately as possible, including for embellishment) things like the Backes hit wouldn't happen.

Chicago D would have been penalized for slashing a couple times, things would have cooled down instead of escalating into what we saw. Yeah, the players are responsible for their actions. But if a rule is violated, there needs to be a call made rather than some different standard for penalties in the post-season.

(That and the Blues need to score on the PP once in a while.)

Vova

Jan 18, 2012
Glad you brought up the slashing it jogged my memory of Keith slashing everybody left and right every minute he could get away with it.

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
Very solid points.. but I think the Blues were a little preoccupied with trying to advance in the playoffs, rather than trying to extract revenge.

Backes wishing luck speaks to more of the type of guy/player he is, as you mentioned.

All Im saying is, that this is a "meanlingless" season game early on in the year... could be a chance to get some retribution

If they wanted to go after him or Hawks they would have done it after Miller fell apart in 3rd period of game 6

Nothing will happen except some big hits and some questionable stuff like Blues/Hawks always has

2 Minute Minor

Hi Keeba!
Jun 3, 2008
Temple, Texas
If they wanted to go after him or Hawks they would have done it after Miller fell apart in 3rd period of game 6

Nothing will happen except some big hits and some questionable stuff like Blues/Hawks always has

I don't expect them to go after Seabrook, although maybe Backes will find an opportunity to level a good hit at some point.

I disagree that they would have started gooning it up in the 3rd of game 6, though. The entire team was in shock and panic at that point. They're still trying to desperately come back somehow, and then it all just went to hell. But I don't think most teams, and in particular the Blues then, are thinking about giving up and "getting even" after they don't believe they can win. Its a pretty unprofessional team that would behave as you described.

The Blues/Hawks games are already very intense and physical. It may be hard to tell if there is anything extra. If there is, I'd attribute it more to the playoff matchup generally than any specific incident (Backes hit) that occurred. Will Bickell be targeted because of the Sobotka kneeing incident? I would argue that was a more deliberate dirty play. Maybe no one will remember it in the blurry memory that the whole series becomes, especially now that Sobotka is gone.

MissouriMook

Still just a Mook among men
Sponsor
Jul 4, 2014
I would expect the next game to be called tightly.

I really think the playoff reffing should be indicted by incidents like this. It was clear that they weren't calling penalties. I understand the desire to not have the calls decide the outcome of the games, but I think if things were called consistenly with the regular season (and as accurately as possible, including for embellishment) things like the Backes hit wouldn't happen.

Chicago D would have been penalized for slashing a couple times, things would have cooled down instead of escalating into what we saw. Yeah, the players are responsible for their actions. But if a rule is violated, there needs to be a call made rather than some different standard for penalties in the post-season.

(That and the Blues need to score on the PP once in a while.)

I agree. I'm fine with them letting a little more clutching and grabbing go to allow the games to be decided at even strength, but the high sticking and slashing needs to be called. Allowing these fouls to go un-called usually results in escalation of tension and games getting out of hand.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad