"Backes Revenge" game against Chicago

kfox9611

Jul 31, 2008
Ontario
Was just curious as what people think will happen when we play Chicago for the first time next year?

The game is on a Saturday night and In St. Louis on October 25th.

Will Backes go after Seabrook? Keith?
What will Ryan Reaves/ Steve Ott do?
Any chance Toews/Kane see some love?
Crowd boos Seabrook everytime touching the puck?

Have been thinking about this for a while, and personally I want blood. Its an early season game, lets get it out of our system and stand up for our captain. It'll show that we won't be pushed around, and we don't forget.

Love to hear what you guys think/hope will happen!

2018-19 Cup Champs!
Mar 22, 2012
Nothing's going to happen. Well, nothing more than a normal Blues/Hawks game. If the Blues wanted to retaliate, they could've done it in the playoffs. It's over. Backes in the post series handshake put the entire thing in the past. If he shoved Seabrook, or refused to shake his hand or something, I could see some retaliation coming, but he didn't. He shook Seabrook's hand, looked him square in the eye and wished him luck. Pretty funny how opposing fans call Backes a glorified goon. He's one of the coolest, most humble guys in the entire league. I'm thrilled he's our captain. He plays the game hard, he plays the game on the edge, but he never crosses the line trying to injure players. The whole thing is in the past. It will only be a storyline for the fans and the media in my opinion.

kfox9611

Jul 31, 2008
Ontario
Nothing's going to happen. Well, nothing more than a normal Blues/Hawks game. If the Blues wanted to retaliate, they could've done it in the playoffs. It's over. Backes in the post series handshake put the entire thing in the past. If he shoved Seabrook, or refused to shake his hand or something, I could see some retaliation coming, but he didn't. He shook Seabrook's hand, looked him square in the eye and wished him luck. Pretty funny how opposing fans call Backes a glorified goon. He's one of the coolest, most humble guys in the entire league. I'm thrilled he's our captain. He plays the game hard, he plays the game on the edge, but he never crosses the line trying to injure players. The whole thing is in the past. It will only be a storyline for the fans and the media in my opinion.

Very solid points.. but I think the Blues were a little preoccupied with trying to advance in the playoffs, rather than trying to extract revenge.

Backes wishing luck speaks to more of the type of guy/player he is, as you mentioned.

All Im saying is, that this is a "meanlingless" season game early on in the year... could be a chance to get some retribution

TK 421

Barbashev eats babies pass it on
Sep 12, 2007
Backes has knocked at least two opposing dmen out of the game in the past while playing RW(Rosival when he played for the Rangers was one). That would be really fun to watch in the 1st game with the Hawks. Duncan Keith better keep his head up.

SirPaste

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2010
STL
I'd be surprised if anything out of the ordinary happens, games against the Hawks are always physical but I don't expect the Blues to be taking runs at people or anything like that

2 Minute Minor

Hi Keeba!
Jun 3, 2008
Temple, Texas
It's more of an entire team revenge thing. Really, Blues vs Blackhawks games don't need any additional hype. It will be intense, but it have more to do with the Blues trying to show that they are a better team.

TK 421

Barbashev eats babies pass it on
Sep 12, 2007
Backes isn't a robot, he's a fiery guy who's gone after people for much less. I don't think he'll necessarily hold it against Seabrook, but there is no way he's just going to forget about Keith's wakey wakey comment. Just my opinion based on how I've seen him react to much less. He won't vocalize that and of course he'll brush it off like a good captain should if asked, but watch him take every opportunity to run someone in that game and then tell me he's not still mad. We'll just have to wait to find out, but I have a feeling some of you are going to be reminded that Backes is an evolving bit of nasty. It happens to every team and especially the key guys on the teams that become targeted. They get sick of being targeted and eventually get meaner and start doing that to others because that is the natural evolution.

TheOrganist

Don't Call Him Alex
Feb 21, 2006
I think we'll see fireworks that game. It's a Saturday night and it's a home game. As someone else mentioned, the Blues didn't really have the option of seeking retribution in the series because too much was on the line. A regular season game in October is another story.

Falco Lombardi

Nov 17, 2011
St. Louis, MO
Yeah the Blues are going to send a message...

....by beating the Hawks 3-0. Retaliation is a sure way to lose. Backes will be as physical as he normally is and the Hawk fans will whine that he's hurting Toews and Jackman is hurting Kane like they always do.

gumption

Jun 28, 2014
St. Louis
if we see backes get more physical then he usually does, my guess is it'd be against the avs. who knows, would love to see him get back at some hawks though. but i think he's moved on.

LGB51

2019 STANLEY CUP CHAMPION ST. LOUIS BLUES!
Oct 9, 2013
Arcola, IL
Oshie will be on a seek and destroy mission obliterating somebody in a white sweater with a reverse hit from hell.

Multimoodia

Sicker Than Usual
Nov 6, 2010
The Range
I'd be willing to contribute to covering any fines a Blues player might acquire in going after Keith.

He's getting to Marchment levels of dislike for me and that's not a healthy amount of hate.

Last edited by a moderator:

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
I'd be willing to contribute to covering any fines a Blues player might acquire in going after Keith.

He's getting to Marchment levels of dislike for me and that's not a healthy amount of hate.
Yeah I don't like Keith, but at least he's a good player. Bryan Marchment is really on a whole different level for me. That guy is just pure scum. I can't even say his name without thinking of a giant pile of feces, the two just go hand in hand so well.

As for Backes, not much will be different. If he has a chance to put a good hit on Seabrook and Keith, he will do it, but that's normal for him as he'll hit any player that has the puck.

RORbacon

May 14, 2014
Central Illinois
Yeah the Blues are going to send a message...

....by beating the Hawks 3-0. Retaliation is a sure way to lose. Backes will be as physical as he normally is and the Hawk fans will whine that he's hurting Toews and Jackman is hurting Kane like they always do.

I'm going to have to agree, and pray that is the outcome.

Multimoodia

Sicker Than Usual
Nov 6, 2010
The Range
Yeah I don't like Keith, but at least he's a good player. Bryan Marchment is really on a whole different level for me. That guy is just pure scum. I can't even say his name without thinking of a giant pile of feces, the two just go hand in hand so well.

Marchment is the most hated player I have in my personal vortex of dislike. I wanted his career ended in the most over-the-top, Michael-Bay-meets-a-firework-factory way possible.

But I disliked him for the same reason I dislike Keith. Keith actually tries to injure people, he doesn't miss his hits (name any big hitting player), he doesn't go berserk (Joe Thornton, Seabrook, etc.), he's attempting to injure and that's horribly, horribly wrong.

I keep hoping him and Dustin Brown take a run at each other impaling one another's elbows through the opposite's sternum.

uncommonsense52

(blue bleeder 24-7)
Jul 12, 2003
Will Backes go after Seabrook? Keith?
Not a chance. Backes will try to play the moral high ground or something stupid that just puts a bullseye on him next April.

What will Ryan Reaves/ Steve Ott do?

Ott will fumble around, be a - 3 on the night, and still see more playing time than someone who could actually put points on the board.

Ryan Reaves will make one hit, but will cause 4 turn overs simply by trying to play the puck.

Any chance Toews/Kane see some love?

Nope. For starters, I'm sure if any of the Blues even look at those two the wrong way, there'll be a suspension coming. For another thing, we just don't seem to ever want to stick up for ourselves.

Crowd boos Seabrook everytime touching the puck?

That much probably will happen. The fans still give a ****.

SmCurse

Sep 4, 2013
Backes in the post series handshake put the entire thing in the past. He shook Seabrook's hand, looked him square in the eye and wished him luck.
To me that translated "I will kill you when I get a chance".
But maybe it`s just me. Or what I would have thought in his situation.

Vova

Jan 18, 2012
Duncan Keith is pure trash as far as trying to kill people with his hits at times. Most opposing fans would say the same thing about Lappy when he goes for big hits, he goes for blood.

Dustin Brown is the same way when he took out Tomas Hertl last season with a blatant knee on knee. Bickell on Sobotka in the playoffs was nasty knee on knee. There is point that you can easily tell when a person hits and wants blood. Seabrook on Backes was with intent to injure. Kudos to Backes for forgiving and shaking the mans hand. He is a better person than me.

I would expect a normal hard fought nasty game like always against this team. If one of the Blues hitters "slips" and takes out a Hawk player I won't be complaining.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad