Vladdy the Impaler

Moar Sobotka
Feb 20, 2015
The Lou
smashed-computer.gif

TheOrganist

Don't Call Him Alex
Feb 21, 2006
Yes and no. It's more important to give Backes rest than to chase the #1 spot in the division. We'll have home-ice against the Pacific, and we'll likely have home-ice in round 1. It's also going to be tough to pass Dallas as they have 2 home games against Colorado and Nashville, and if we beat Arizona, we'll have at Chicago and home against Washington. They have the tie-breaker and easier matchups.

Even if we pass Dallas, we'll still likely play the same teams. It is more important to rest a guy like Backes than to play him when it likely won't matter much.

I'm less concerned with catching Dallas as I am with maintaining home ice vs. Chicago. Opening up in CHI would be bad news. We're in the drivers seat but nothing has been sealed and it's important. Yes, I do think they are playing things super cautiously with the injured bodies right now but in this case it's a little troubling since it's hard to speculate on the ailment and all we can do is read the tea leaves. And it's a decisive move to sit Backes who has been amazing lately. Anyway, hopefully they take care of biz down the stretch and he rests up and it's nothing serious.

Klank Loves You

Feb 21, 2015
Im sick of these pre-season injuries. Is Bouwmeester due back soon? Edmundson's transition game is getting too exposed.

2 Minute Minor

Hi Keeba!
Jun 3, 2008
Temple, Texas
Eh, not sure on Allen....but with Backes (and probably Bouwmeester) I think these are just getting guys in good shape for the playoffs. Since Backes didn't have the luxury of a 5 game suspension, the team will exaggerate a minor ding and hold him out so that he's good to go in Game 1.

I won't be surprised if other players are out injured for a game or two. Gotta win tonight, and ideally beat Chicago....but burning oil to try and pass Dallas is not a wise way to spend energy. If the only two teams that would have home ice over the Blues are Washington and Dallas, I'm content with that.

Ranksu

Crotch Academy ftw
Sponsor
Apr 28, 2014
Lapland
Im sick of these pre-season injuries. Is Bouwmeester due back soon? Edmundson's transition game is getting too exposed.

I'm maybe to biased to see throught my finnish glasses, but I really didn't see any 'clear' downgrade these games when Lindbohm played up compare to Gunnar.

We're ok with Edmundson not worry at all, I'm more concern with Gunnar legs speed getting exposed too easily vs. Chicago speedy boys.

And I'm really worried about Allen situation and can Elliott gain confidence and if he falls do we have to go with crippled Allen or frigging Anders Nilsson? Dear God..

2 Minute Minor

Hi Keeba!
Jun 3, 2008
Temple, Texas
I'm maybe to biased to see throught my finnish glasses, but I really didn't see any 'clear' downgrade these games when Lindbohm played up compare to Gunnar.

We're ok with Edmundson not worry at all, I'm more concern with Gunnar legs speed getting exposed too easily vs. Chicago speedy boys.

And I'm really worried about Allen situation and can Elliott gain confidence and if he falls do we have to go with crippled Allen or frigging Anders Nilsson? Dear God..

Yeah, I think you have Finnish glasses there. Gunnarsson has looked much more solid than Lindbohm's limited viewings this season.

Renard

Nov 14, 2011
St. Louis, MO
Eh, not sure on Allen....but with Backes (and probably Bouwmeester) I think these are just getting guys in good shape for the playoffs. Since Backes didn't have the luxury of a 5 game suspension, the team will exaggerate a minor ding and hold him out so that he's good to go in Game 1.

I won't be surprised if other players are out injured for a game or two. Gotta win tonight, and ideally beat Chicago....but burning oil to try and pass Dallas is not a wise way to spend energy. If the only two teams that would have home ice over the Blues are Washington and Dallas, I'm content with that.

Hitch insists that Backes is injured and can't play. But it doesn't ring true to me. Backes is 31 years old and gets a lot of ice time with the Blues, does a lot of hitting. We need him in the playoffs and he could use the rest.

Bouwmeester is 32 years old and gets a lot of ice time too, so I'm betting that he is being rested too.

Steen is 32, but he doesn't need the rest since he was out with injury for the month of March.

Renard

Nov 14, 2011
St. Louis, MO
I agree and it's not even really debatable in my mind

They are very different players. Gunnersson is a finesse defenseman, Lindbohm is an aggressive hitter. And Gunnersson is much more experienced.

Lindbohm's future is hard to predict, but he sure is noticeable on the ice. Usually in a good way.

2 Minute Minor

Hi Keeba!
Jun 3, 2008
Temple, Texas
Hitch insists that Backes is injured and can't play. But it doesn't ring true to me. Backes is 31 years old and gets a lot of ice time with the Blues, does a lot of hitting. We need him in the playoffs and he could use the rest.

Bouwmeester is 32 years old and gets a lot of ice time too, so I'm betting that he is being rested too.

Steen is 32, but he doesn't need the rest since he was out with injury for the month of March.

Yeah, I'm not the least bit worried about Backes or Bouwmeester. I'm not sure how to read the Allen situation. He didn't leave the game immediately, so perhaps its a relatively minor thing they're just being cautious. But if not, Elliott can shoulder the load for now.

I guess in terms of guys who can't go in the playoffs, Allen is the only one I think may be on that list.

Does Ott get in against Chicago?

Stopsight

Oct 9, 2013
Hawaii
Yeah, I'm not the least bit worried about Backes or Bouwmeester. I'm not sure how to read the Allen situation. He didn't leave the game immediately, so perhaps its a relatively minor thing they're just being cautious. But if not, Elliott can shoulder the load for now.

I guess in terms of guys who can't go in the playoffs, Allen is the only one I think may be on that list.

Does Ott get in against Chicago?

I'm betting so. There will be rotating 4th line no doubt

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
If there is a silver lining to these injuries, it's that a lot of our guys have gotten rest this season. Only Brouwer has played every game and only half the roster has played 70+ games. Most should be pretty fresh.

Ott, Fabbri and Bouwmeester should be back soon. As long as Backes is ready to go in a week, we should be good to go.

Celtic Note

Living the dream
Dec 22, 2006
If there is a silver lining to these injuries, it's that a lot of our guys have gotten rest this season. Only Brouwer has played every game and only half the roster has played 70+ games. Most should be pretty fresh.

Ott, Fabbri and Bouwmeester should be back soon. As long as Backes is ready to go in a week, we should be good to go.
Not sure I would call healing and resting the same thing. Not to mention, conditioning is a huge part of your ability to return when you have been out a while. Some of these guys probably haven't had much of that.

2018-19 Cup Champs!
Mar 22, 2012
Any word on Fabbri? Is he expected to play in either of the last two games?

2 Minute Minor

Hi Keeba!
Jun 3, 2008
Temple, Texas
Any word on Fabbri? Is he expected to play in either of the last two games?

Pang said that he looked good enough in practice he wouldn't be surprised if he plays against Chicago. I think its another situation where they're prolonging the time out with a view to the playoffs.

Not sure if he may play in the last 2 or not, but I think he could.

No new on Ott. I really think he'll play at least the final game.

carter333167

Apr 24, 2013
Considering that Ott has hardly played this season, who would he replace in the current line-up? It seems like things are going pretty well. I can't imagine Ott would improve any of the forward positions.

Reaves i guess but it scares me to insert a guy who hasn't played all year...chemistry seems good at this point.

Last edited:

STL fan in MN

Aug 16, 2007
Considering that Ott has hardly played this season, who would he replace in the current line-up? It seems like things are going pretty well. I can't imagine Ott would improve any of the forward positions.

Reaves i guess but it scares me to insert a guy who hasn't played all year...chemistry seems good at this point.

IMO, Ott is only a candidate to replace Reaves at this point but if there are injuries then obviously Ott getting back in there becomes likely.

The Note

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 13, 2011
KCMO
Fabbri said he felt good today and would like to play tomorrow, but he will wait and see how he feels tomorrow. So that's encouraging.

uncommonsense52

(blue bleeder 24-7)
Jul 12, 2003
A friend said he read that Elliott left practice early in pain after taking a shot off the inside of the blocker.

Oberyn

Prince of Dorne
Mar 27, 2011
How hilarious would it be if Nilsson is our starter in game one of the playoffs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad