Proposal: Backes + 2015 2nd for Simmonds?

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
As a Blues fan I would easily accept this. Pietrangelo isn't that great and many of us just want to get rid of Berglund.

Stastny - Giroux - Steen
Schwartz - Lehtera - Tarasenko
Fabbri - Backes - Oshie
Jaskin - Lapierre - Reaves

Gunnarsson - Shattenkirk
Bouwmeester - NEW
Jackman - Ian Cole

...Is pretty damn impressive.

That D without Pietrangelo isn't Cup worthy though. I'm surprised you don't think he is that great. Wasn't he a Norris finalist last season? Most teams would love to have him as their #1. What exactly don't you like about his game?

Dumpster Flyers

Jun 21, 2006
Meh. With our D-group's puck moving skills, it doesn't matter a whole bunch who we have, methinks. They're gonna get slowed down by the fact that they have to get the puck deep in their zone and then slog down the ice. Only Streit and MDZ can be relied on routinely to generate a fast breakout; and because zone entry isn't Simmonds' speciality, I don't think his speed in particular would be terribly missed.

Edit: Though his net presence is so good. And he can get from the corner to the crease in a pretty good hurry.
Without speed or breakout passes, how's the team ever going to get through the neutral zone? I guess it would be a moot point if the season's being written off, but then why get older?

I know Simmonds' zone entry is a weakness, but he's been effective in the past by simply using his speed against 2nd/3rd pair defenders. It's not working this season, but he could find his game again under a new coach/system.

Flyotes

Sorry Hinkie.
Apr 7, 2007
SJ
I'm not trading the 26 year old Simmonds for a 30 year old Backes, even with the 2nd thrown in.

We are 3-4 years away from being a Cup contender and by that point, Backes will be past his prime and Simmonds will still be in his.

This.

RR10*

That D without Pietrangelo isn't Cup worthy though. I'm surprised you don't think he is that great. Wasn't he a Norris finalist last season? Most teams would love to have him as their #1. What exactly don't you like about his game?
He is just an average defender with an above average offense. He is soft in his own end and has at times poor positioning and decision making. He doesn't have that next gear in his game like elite defender like Dougty, Keith etc. You want a 7 mill defender to be somewhat of a leader and gamebreaker but he isn't. He's been disappointing so far this season but picked it up lately.

I know some Blues fan wouldn't agree with my opinion but he's one of those untouchable guys like every team has, if you critiscize him you will hear it.

I would definitely trade Pietrangelo, Berglund and a prospect for Giroux. Without a doubt.

And that D will be just fine when you add a solid d-man on the second pairing to replace Pie. Let's not forget that the Blues have a group of great two-way forwards that work their ***** of defensively.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad