Proposal: Backes + 2015 2nd for Simmonds?

RR10*

Blues fan here. Would love to have Simmonds on the Blues. He would be a great fit in the west.

Backes + 2015 2nd for Simmonds?

Last edited by a moderator:

RR10*

I may have overvalued Simmonds.

What about Backes + 2015 2nd for Simmonds?

BackToTheBrierePatch

Nope not today.
Feb 19, 2003
Concord, New Hampshire
The Flyers would be much more interested in Shattenkirk. If Simmonds is going to be traded (highly unlikely) it should only be for a defenseman.

not a fan of trading a guy like Simmonds for a defenseman. Even if it is Shattenkirk. scoring is a problem outside of Jake and Giroux and Schenn recently. taking out their only other reliable scoring threat outside of those 3 wouldn't be a wise idea if you aren't getting a winger back who can get you goals.
as far as the OP I would definitely be interested. I like Backes overall game a lot.

AFTeRMaTH*

like posted in the trade board, YES.

This one also interested me big time.

Pietrangelo + Berglund + choice of Jaskin/Rattie/Schmaltz

for Giroux..

I almost think we would have to do that. We are so good at drafting forwards especially centers Id take the chance we can find another #1C and thats if Schenn or Couturier can't take over.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA

for Giroux..

I almost think we would have to do that. We are so good at drafting forwards especially centers Id take the chance we can find another #1C and thats if Schenn or Couturier can't take over.

Makes no sense for St. Louis. They become a pretty top heavy team.

Pietrangelo is already one of the best defensemen in the league at 24 (defensemen age better than forwards as well), not really sure if I would I pull the trigger there if I was St. Louis.

AFTeRMaTH*

Makes no sense for St. Louis. They become a pretty top heavy team.

Pietrangelo is already one of the best defensemen in the league at 24 (defensemen age better than forwards as well), not really sure if I would I pull the trigger there if I was St. Louis.

I wouldn't either if I was STL, but like this trade, it was proposed by a Blues fan. We would have to take that deal.

Dumpster Flyers

Jun 21, 2006
Despite Backes being the better player, I wouldn't do this. A major team weakness is speed, and swapping Simmonds for Backes makes things much worse.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
Despite Backes being the better player, I wouldn't do this. A major team weakness is speed, and swapping Simmonds for Backes makes things much worse.

Meh. With our D-group's puck moving skills, it doesn't matter a whole bunch who we have, methinks. They're gonna get slowed down by the fact that they have to get the puck deep in their zone and then slog down the ice. Only Streit and MDZ can be relied on routinely to generate a fast breakout; and because zone entry isn't Simmonds' speciality, I don't think his speed in particular would be terribly missed.

Edit: Though his net presence is so good. And he can get from the corner to the crease in a pretty good hurry.

FlyersFan61290

Jul 13, 2010
Philadelphia
Flyers won't be competing for a few yrs so a 33-34 Backes, who may or may not even be on the team at that point, and a 2nd isn't doing it for me.

dats81

Jan 22, 2011
Carinthia, AUT
The proposed deal is about fair value for Simmonds.

But I'm not trading him for anything short of overpayment right now. Simmer is on a great contract and trending upward for a couple of years now. Why move him for an extra 2nd (a late 2nd for all we know) that may not even convert to an NHL player, let alone a top-6 player?

Last edited:

flyershockey

Oct 10, 2006
How is trading for a 30 year old center good for this team in the longterm (which is all anyone should care about at this point)? Also, a Backes acquistion pretty much ensures that one of Couturier or Laughton will never develop into a top nine center here. Pass, easily.

Last edited:

RR10*

for Giroux..

As a Blues fan I would easily accept this. Pietrangelo isn't that great and many of us just want to get rid of Berglund.

Stastny - Giroux - Steen
Schwartz - Lehtera - Tarasenko
Fabbri - Backes - Oshie
Jaskin - Lapierre - Reaves

Gunnarsson - Shattenkirk
Bouwmeester - NEW
Jackman - Ian Cole

...Is pretty damn impressive.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
I'm not trading the 26 year old Simmonds for a 30 year old Backes, even with the 2nd thrown in.

We are 3-4 years away from being a Cup contender and by that point, Backes will be past his prime and Simmonds will still be in his.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad