Back to the drawing board Chia.

Gone

Fire KLowe
Aug 9, 2005
Earth
There was but the board wanted to attribute it to Chia being told what to do there.

Its kind of an unfair analysis. Chia wins a cup in Boston =Great GM

Chia makes Seguin trade, Wheeler trade, lets Boychuk walk. =Not his fault, he has no autonomy.

I do worry when Chia does pull the trigger here, and it will happen before trade deadline, what that deal(s) ends up looking like. At best his current acquired players don't speak highly on his ability to recruit players to help this club. His additions have clearly made the Oilers even worse. Even though coaching is better this year.

The only way to judge him is on those moves we are certain are his. His body of work, as you so well documented above, doesn't suggest an 'above average' GM.

GMofOilers

Oct 15, 2007
Mountains
Somebody should have coughed "Um Sekera" and a hairball at that statement. He paid this guy 5.5M longterm to be what exactly? a 3-4D?

What on Earth would he pay for a "2" which will probably turn out to be another 3-4 D when all is said and done.

"See's progress in structure" This is the new wording of "visually improved". I challenge anybody to watch the last 2 games and conclude the structure is improved.

heavy lifting?. Not to this point. hasn't lifted a finger since July an the club has sunk to the bottom of the sea again. With morale noticeably bad on this roadtrip and the one before it.

Hey dont shoot the messenger lol

What I also see, is a calm confident person, who has a plan.

Mact would just babble same old same old while shaking in his boots.

So it was actually nice to see.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
There was but the board wanted to attribute it to Chia being told what to do there.

Its kind of an unfair analysis. Chia wins a cup in Boston =Great GM

Chia makes Seguin trade, Wheeler trade, lets Boychuk walk. =Not his fault, he has no autonomy.

I do worry when Chia does pull the trigger here, and it will happen before trade deadline, what that deal(s) ends up looking like. At best his current acquired players don't speak highly on his ability to recruit players to help this club. His additions have clearly made the Oilers even worse. Even though coaching is better this year.

Give me a ****ing break. Fayne has been garbage, Ference and Nikitin have been garbage, Scrivens has been garbage, that's a ton of cap and roster space tied up in duds basically immovable players. Then you have significant injuries to Eberle and a much improved Schultz and RNH looks lost in the woods after his bout with the flu. You can say that the goaltending has lost us games but what did MacT leave us for goaltending? His additions are far from as bad as the crap that MacT saddled us with.

As for Gordon, he has 1 point this season so Letestu playing poorly is an upgrade in that regard which just goes to show you how poor Boyd is on offense.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
Hey dont shoot the messenger lol

What I also see, is a calm confident person, who has a plan.

Mact would just babble same old same old while shaking in his boots.

So it was actually nice to see.

Not being critical of you (pats on back) ;)

cheers

Thanks for noting and giving the readers digest on the Chia presser.

One of the things that's disappointing is the same reluctance from anybody in management on this club to face the music. This is the first Chia presser in seemingly forever and only after the press were clamoring, basically calling him out, to bloody well say something on yet another shipwreck.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Somebody should have coughed "Um Sekera" and a hairball at that statement. He paid this guy 5.5M longterm to be what exactly? a 3-4D?

Chia hinted at him anchoring the 2nd pairing when he was signed.
What on Earth would he pay for a "2" which will probably turn out to be another 3-4 D when all is said and done.

Seeing as we need one, hopefully a lot especially if he's RH.
"See's progress in structure" This is the new wording of "visually improved". I challenge anybody to watch the last 2 games and conclude the structure is improved.

There has been improvements in this regard, what we are currently seeing is the team folding because things aren't going their way, this team is as mentally fragile as any in the NHL.

heavy lifting?. Not to this point. hasn't lifted a finger since July an the club has sunk to the bottom of the sea again. With morale noticeably bad on this roadtrip and the one before it.

When the right trade is there in his mind the trigger will be pulled. He basically admitted that he wants in on Hamonic and I'd assume that means that he is working hard on getting that done.
FRankly I'm disappointed in the GM's play to this point. Did he take voice any accountability for that? Easy to point fingers. But half the players playing like **** on this team are HIS GUYS.

He singled out goaltending and both of those guys are his additions.

McDeepika

Aug 14, 2004
I'm with Replacement here though I disagree on Sekera. After a tough start, he has played decent.

Korpikoski/Letestu have been complete junk. Gryba/Reinhart not much better. Then there is Talbot who has been a huge dud.

russ99

Jun 9, 2011
Give me a ****ing break. Fayne has been garbage, Ference and Nikitin have been garbage, Scrivens has been garbage, that's a ton of cap and roster space tied up in duds basically immovable players. Then you have significant injuries to Eberle and a much improved Schultz and RNH looks lost in the woods after his bout with the flu. You can say that the goaltending has lost us games but what did MacT leave us for goaltending? His additions are far from as bad as the crap that MacT saddled us with.

As for Gordon, he has 1 point this season so Letestu playing poorly is an upgrade in that regard which just goes to show you how poor Boyd is on offense.

Yup.

And as long as Old Oiler boys are in "scouting" we're not going to make much progress in player moves.

I was appalled that Howson would still be doing pro scouting, since he's lead us down a bad path before.

Chiarelli needs the autonomy to clean out the last of the old boys, then we'll make better trades and signings.

GMofOilers

Oct 15, 2007
Mountains
Not being critical of you (pats on back) ;)

cheers

Thanks for noting and giving the readers digest on the Chia presser.

One of the things that's disappointing is the same reluctance from anybody in management on this club to face the music. This is the first Chia presser in seemingly forever and only after the press were clamoring, basically calling him out, to bloody well say something on yet another shipwreck.

Hey im trying to be positive ahahahahha

This team frustrates me so god dam bad. Well me and everyone else.

I think I trust Chia right now, but I dont know what hes waiting on. Hamonic is exactly what this team needs. Pull the trigger!

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking

Bryan, the comment was made in reference to the numbers posted in the OP. All of the players but Gryba have been bleeding more GA than GF. That's what the numbers suggest.

Obiously this team would be better with Petry, Roy, Gordon, still on it. It was also possible for Chia, in one complete offseason, to recruit actually helpful players. He has not done that to this point.

I would be content if they Chia additions were even treading water in their time on ice. This hasn't been the case.

Dorian2

Define that balance
Jul 17, 2009
Edmonton
BoychukTrade.jpg

Just wanted to take a quick look at the players Chia acquired this off season. Simple analysis, just looking at Goal events for each on ice.

I'm particularly concerned with how much GA the Chia additions allow. Because this has been most striking. Production of these players has been minimal, so not even considered, people can think of it as just another fail.

Anyway, Gryba. Oddly enough the only player Chia has acquired that is actually treading water. Been on for 14GF 13GA +.18differential/60mins. Not bad on pk either with only 3 goals allowed and -6.20GA/60mins.

Sekera. Alleged to be the best D coming here and paid very well to be here. Has been pretty much a dud o this point. At one point in the season Sekera had been on for 11 of the clubs 14 GA on pk. Virtually any time the club was getting scored against on pk Sekera was on ice flaling around. Sekera been n for 13GF 17GA Differ -.65/60mins. pk, absolute disaster. -17.75/60mins 11goals allowed.

Rienhart. -.33EV diff. on ice for 6GF 7GA has not been used on pk. Not bad for a kid.

Korpikoski I don't like the player, people here know that. But even I was surprised at how absolutely abysmal his numbers are. He's not even getting hard minutes on a club that doesn't use checking line assignments much. Still, he's on ice for 2GF and a shocking 9GA EV. Tell me how somebody gives up 9goals while being injured most of the season and playing against mostly scrubs. His dfferential/60mins is -2.42 (fail) meaning each 60 minutes even strength he is on the ice the club is losing almost two and a half more goals than its getting.. this is like a special kind of suck. 3 stars suck. pk he is at -9.50GA/60mins. 4goals allowed in limited play.

Letestu. We all heard it. Supposedly better than Gordon, faster, quicker, has hands, will produce. Has done none of the above. Almost as bad as Korpi. -1.88 differential/60mins. On ice for 3GF EV 10GA. Somewhat reasonable on pk with only 6goals allowed and -6.24GA/60 mins.

Nillson 2.85GAA .906 save %

Talbot 3.17GAA .889 save %

Neither sporting great numbers and neither on the whole looking like starting goalies.

Returns are early, and this is limited analysis, but in a sink or float sense, and that's what I wanted to look at, none of Chia's additions, with the possible exception of Gryba (who has a lot of observed deficits) has made this team better, or more competitive on the ice. The additions, with possible exception of Gryba, have helped this team to sink.

The Chia additions have actually had among the worst GA numbers on the club. With Letestu and Korpikoski to this point just being horrible EV players, shockingly bad, and Sekera being a very high event player that gives up way too many GA considering what this club required to improve.

I think its interesting to continue to look at what Chias additions have done specifically and how they have contributed to this team. To this point they have done nothing other than make this club considerably worse than if they had just gone with the prior incumbents.

:shakehead Man Replacement. You're really pressing it here.

You do it in posts, and have now brought your scheme of ideals to a thread.

Like, what exactly does it take to get it through your thick skull.

There is absolutely no room on these boards, or even in this city for that matter, to bring your realistic expectations and conclusions to try to "replace those of us whose ideas are born of a tinfoil cap and Oiler glasses".

You just TRY to take my fashionable apparel away. I dare you!!

:rant:

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
Yup.

And as long as Old Oiler boys are in "scouting" we're not going to make much progress in player moves.

I was appalled that Howson would still be doing pro scouting, since he's lead us down a bad path before.

Chiarelli needs the autonomy to clean out the last of the old boys, then we'll make better trades and signings.

Oh, now were already giving Chia another mulligan here on lack of autonomy basis when Nicholson has flat out stated Chia has carte blanche autonomy and Chia himself has afairc referred to this.

c'mon. Chia was high on the players he acquired. From his own statements.

Last edited:

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
The only way to judge him is on those moves we are certain are his. His body of work, as you so well documented above, doesn't suggest an 'above average' GM.

Thanks for recognizing the purpose of the thread. This, particularly, is Chias body of work. These are the players he hand selected to make this club improve.

2 of the forwards Chia selected have the worst forward numbers on the team.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
:shakehead Man Replacement. You're really pressing it here.

You do it in posts, and have now brought your scheme of ideals to a thread.

Like, what exactly does it take to get it through your thick skull.

There is absolutely no room on these boards, or even in this city for that matter, to bring your realistic expectations and conclusions to try to "replace those of us whose ideas are born of a tinfoil cap and Oiler glasses".

You just TRY to take my fashionable apparel away. I dare you!!

:rant:

I should just be a blogger somewhere. I could decide which replies live and die..:D

Gret99zky

Worst Thread Ever
May 5, 2007
Gamma Quadrant
Oilers after 22 in 2014-15: 6-14-3, 15 points (-32 GD)
Oilers after 22 in 2015-16: 7-14-2, 16 points (-13 GD)

Goals against are way down from last year at this time.

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
Time for Chia to have an auction on Hall, RNH, Eberle, Yak, and Schultz. The Oilers aren't winning with these guys, time to sell them off while they still have value.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
I actually liked his presser, he was honest and flat out straight he was dissapointed on several fronts right off the bat. No sugar coating. None of the posturing that Mac T would do.

Just don't ******** us, that's all I ask, and he hasn't, he's been refreshingly straight forward and candid pretty much from day 1.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Bryan, the comment was made in reference to the numbers posted in the OP. All of the players but Gryba have been bleeding more GA than GF. That's what the numbers suggest.

Obiously this team would be better with Petry, Roy, Gordon, still on it. It was also possible for Chia, in one complete offseason, to recruit actually helpful players. He has not done that to this point.

I would be content if they Chia additions were even treading water in their time on ice. This hasn't been the case.

Roy isn't even in the league right now and would also be bleeding GA. Gordon is a defensive and faceoff upgrade on Letestu for $1.2 million more and he's a black hole on offense. Petry and Sekera are in the same conversation as players IMO, if you had your way we'd have neither because Petry was already out the door so it was Sekera or no one else in his place.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
I actually liked his presser, he was honest and flat out straight he was dissapointed on several fronts right off the bat. No sugar coating. None of the posturing that Mac T would do.

He was not happy, knows that there is work to be done, knows that there are times that you get better or worse value. Guy knows wtf he's doing.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
Roy isn't even in the league right now and would also be bleeding GA. Gordon is a defensive and faceoff upgrade on Letestu for $1.2 million more and he's a black hole on offense. Petry and Sekera are in the same conversation as players IMO, if you had your way we'd have neither because Petry was already out the door so it was Sekera or no one else in his place.

Sekera in no way is a Petry replacement. Petry was actually occasionally physical and able to win puck battles.

As for Sekera or nothing else Chia had all off season in which to come up with some other option to burn big money for. He selected Sekera. This is not to say that you know that no other option was ever possible.

Gordon scored 14 goals for us. He did his share and was a good player here. Better than Letestu in every measure.

Just a question BBO. Why did Nicholson allow the Petry trade? Seemed odd when it was readily apparent MacT was just placeholding. Why allow him to pull the deal on a trade?

Oilfan2

13.5%
Aug 12, 2005
He was not happy, knows that there is work to be done, knows that there are times that you get better or worse value. Guy knows wtf he's doing.

Well, that's easy because he hasn't done FA up to this point.

Of course he's not happy. Neither was MacT from all the losing but people were crapping on him for throwing players/goalies under the bus. Same friggin' thing.

Let's see what happens when he actually does something to improve this ******* club..

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
BoychukTrade.jpg

Just wanted to take a quick look at the players Chia acquired this off season. Simple analysis, just looking at Goal events for each on ice.

I'm particularly concerned with how much GA the Chia additions allow. Because this has been most striking. Production of these players has been minimal, so not even considered, people can think of it as just another fail.

Anyway, Gryba. Oddly enough the only player Chia has acquired that is actually treading water. Been on for 14GF 13GA +.18differential/60mins. Not bad on pk either with only 3 goals allowed and -6.20GA/60mins.

Sekera. Alleged to be the best D coming here and paid very well to be here. Has been pretty much a dud o this point. At one point in the season Sekera had been on for 11 of the clubs 14 GA on pk. Virtually any time the club was getting scored against on pk Sekera was on ice flaling around. Sekera been n for 13GF 17GA Differ -.65/60mins. pk, absolute disaster. -17.75/60mins 11goals allowed.

Rienhart. -.33EV diff. on ice for 6GF 7GA has not been used on pk. Not bad for a kid.

Korpikoski I don't like the player, people here know that. But even I was surprised at how absolutely abysmal his numbers are. He's not even getting hard minutes on a club that doesn't use checking line assignments much. Still, he's on ice for 2GF and a shocking 9GA EV. Tell me how somebody gives up 9goals while being injured most of the season and playing against mostly scrubs. His dfferential/60mins is -2.42 (fail) meaning each 60 minutes even strength he is on the ice the club is losing almost two and a half more goals than its getting.. this is like a special kind of suck. 3 stars suck. pk he is at -9.50GA/60mins. 4goals allowed in limited play.

Letestu. We all heard it. Supposedly better than Gordon, faster, quicker, has hands, will produce. Has done none of the above. Almost as bad as Korpi. -1.88 differential/60mins. On ice for 3GF EV 10GA. Somewhat reasonable on pk with only 6goals allowed and -6.24GA/60 mins.

Nillson 2.85GAA .906 save %

Talbot 3.17GAA .889 save %

Neither sporting great numbers and neither on the whole looking like starting goalies.

Returns are early, and this is limited analysis, but in a sink or float sense, and that's what I wanted to look at, none of Chia's additions, with the possible exception of Gryba (who has a lot of observed deficits) has made this team better, or more competitive on the ice. The additions, with possible exception of Gryba, have helped this team to sink.

The Chia additions have actually had among the worst GA numbers on the club. With Letestu and Korpikoski to this point just being horrible EV players, shockingly bad, and Sekera being a very high event player that gives up way too many GA considering what this club required to improve.

I think its interesting to continue to look at what Chias additions have done specifically and how they have contributed to this team. To this point they have done nothing other than make this club considerably worse than if they had just gone with the prior incumbents.

Chia has never LEFT the drawing board. Way too much cipherin' yet to do with the inherited mess.

You're forgetting all about the trash that the prior regime left though. Ference and Fayne have been garbage, and even though Nikitin and Sievens are playing in the AHL, they are still taking up valuable cap room, which we could have really used for more upgrades.

As to some of the additions above by Chia.

- I think in the grand plan, Reinhart was still considered a developing prospect that needed more time in the minors. Unfortunately, our lack of depth and injuries have derailed that plan until now.

- Talbot has not played well, or only in spurts, but I still see a turnaround for him. I doubt anyone saw Nilsson playing this well when we acquired him. A pretty good bet at backup, being forced to play more games than necessary while Talbot gets his act together. Meanwhile, the guys from last year aren't even in the league.

- Letestu could play better not doubt, but he IS outproducing Boyd Gordon. 2-3-5. Gordon has ONE ASSIST in 22 games. Even the much maligned Anton Lander is tied with him now.

- after a rough start, I think Sekera is coming on. Might have had something to do with a new conference, new coach, new system, and new partner. I wouldn't write him off just yet.

- have no problem with Korpi. Just as advertised. Good skater, plays physical, and has a bit of skill. Is only 2-1-3 so far, but was hurt by that concussion, and I thought he was playing well at the time.

I think a lot of our bottom 6 have been hurt by injuries to the group as a whole. Hendricks (arguably our best of the bunch) has missed a lot of time and had to play hurt in others, Klink has been gone most of the year, Korpi gone as mentioned, and lastly, Lander has not produced as expected, which has hurt everyones plus/minus. Not saying they can't be better, but I think they will as the season progresses. Pakirinin is still feeling his way through, but I feel he will be a solid addition to the bottom 6 as time goes on, and maybe the best of the bunch.

Last edited:

duul

Jun 21, 2010
I like what Chiarelli has done. He acquired the best goalie available in Talbot. He acquired the most sought after defenceman in Sekera. He acquired Letestu and Korpikoski who are 4th liners. Korpikoski was a 4th liner on Phoenix, so why did we expect anything else from him? He's fast, big, and good on the PK. Same with Letestu. Letestu is on pace to get the same amount of points he did last season. I figure Chiarelli felt at worst he will be our 4th line centre, and at best he could get back to his 2012 and 2013 ways where he was a 3rd line centre. Low risk.

Letestu is playing better than Gordon this year. I'd call that an upgrade. Korpikoski was another buy low option that could have paid off huge dividends. He is a serviceable 4th liner with potential to be a good 3rd liner.

Gryba is meh. He wasn't supposed to be anything more than a 3rd pairing guy, and he has done his role well enough. At times he's looked unbelievable and at other times, poor. 20 games in I think he's doing good adjusting to a new team.

Sekera was a big disappointed the first 10 games but is slowly putting it together. Chiarelli even said he's a good 2nd pairing guy and that's the going rate for 2nd line D these days. He has been playing well lately, I am happy with him.

Reinhart is young. I don't want to comment on him because of his age. He should pan out to be a solid solid player. Hamhuis lite.

Goalies are irrelevant in my opinion given our defensive situation.

I think Chiarelli has done well. Everyone knows this team still have garbage D and a terrible mix up front. Lots of work to be done still.

A 4th line of Hendricks-Letestu-Korpikoski would be great if we have a more skilled 3rd line with players like Andrew Shaw, Brad Marchand, etc. We lack skilled pests.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad