Back in Black

Langdon Alger

Apr 19, 2006
It just occurred to me for the first time that the song Back in Black and, thus, the album as a whole, was a tribute to their late lead singer. They were "back" with a new album "in black" because they were in mourning.

Mind blown.

Never knew that. Makes sense when you think about it.

Reactions: Shareefruck

angusyoung

Back in the day, I was always horny!
Aug 17, 2014
Heirendaar
??

What does that even mean? You think I'm trying to tear you down right now?

Thought you'd figure it out,but I shall attempt to explain,not sure it would resonate however.Generally I refrain and don't partake in essentially meaningless exchange of drivel posted anywhere in some obscure forum as it has no merit. But in this instance I was cajoled and irked and felt compelled to engage as the mood struck.

Music and food etc, is a personal taste and no one appreciates that what they enjoy is being mocked, whether deliberately or not and some people take exception to being made sport of. There other ways of expressing oneself with tact that is less offensive if one chooses to do so.

If you were to read some of your posts pertaining to music with imagining that they were penned by another author than yourself, and the artist in question is being belittled is one of your favorite artists.

I don't see the logic why some people feel they have to go out of their way to critique something that they don't like in the first place as it will most certainly be skewed to reflect poorly. If everyone went out of their way to comment on something they despise it would be a never ending commentary of negativity as there is just so much to choose from. Anyways TETOO.

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
Thought you'd figure it out,but I shall attempt to explain,not sure it would resonate however.Generally I refrain and don't partake in essentially meaningless exchange of drivel posted anywhere in some obscure forum as it has no merit. But in this instance I was cajoled and irked and felt compelled to engage as the mood struck.

Music and food etc, is a personal taste and no one appreciates that what they enjoy is being mocked, whether deliberately or not and some people take exception to being made sport of. There other ways of expressing oneself with tact that is less offensive if one chooses to do so.

If you were to read some of your posts pertaining to music with imagining that they were penned by another author than yourself, and the artist in question is being belittled is one of your favorite artists.

I don't see the logic why some people feel they have to go out of their way to critique something that they don't like in the first place as it will most certainly be skewed to reflect poorly. If everyone went out of their way to comment on something they despise it would be a never ending commentary of negativity as there is just so much to choose from. Anyways TETOO.
Respectfully, we definitely don't agree on this idea on a fundamental level. But instead of prematurely dismissing it with passive aggressiveness like in that first line, maybe try thinking about it with an open mind.

I can understand that people have a tendency to take things directed at their interests overly personally, but I think it's wholly unreasonable to do this, and I view this instinct as a fault that should be confronted and that everyone should be pushed to overcome/disregard, no different from how feelings like jealousy or envy are irrational feelings that we should all learn to get over. Nobody should ever feel obligated to cater to this irrationality at the expense of what they find valuable. The onus is on you to NOT take something that isn't phrased in any personal way personally, not on whoever expresses a blunt opinion about something that you happen to associate deeply with to tip-toe around your sensitivity. This is particularly true in a shared public setting like this where the whole purpose is discussion and it's all about sharing perspectives (and occassionally stepping on each other's toes in a healthy way). That should be treated as a joyful thing whether there are dissenting voices or not.

Up-front and candid honesty about subjects I'm interested in is the thing that I value most and ultimately what I want to get out of this place as a viewer/reader, even if some perspectives contradict my own preferences/attachments, so you're wrong in your assumptions there. If we turned the tables as you suggested, I would ideally WANT you to trash the thing that I love if that's how you really felt about it, as long as you don't make it personal or petty (which (1) I don't think I did and (2) I would gladly apologize and correct my behavior if I felt I crossed those lines). In fact, you would be doing me a disservice to hold back and keep thoughts like that to yourself for my sake. Sure, I would probably argue with you about it, but that's all good discourse, not something to shy away from. I can assure you that my instinct would never be "Get this guy out of here, I want to fanboy over things I like in peace and without any resistance." That's a very silly thing to demand and to feel disrespected over if I don't get it. It certainly doesn't justify actively responding to make things personal over that disagreement.

As for the outcome, there are a few ways that I would disagree with this. First, I don't view positive comments as being inherently better than negative comments in any way to begin with (so long as it isn't paired with personal toxicity), so whether there's more of one than the other seems completely irrelevant to me. Second, the primary joy I get from reading this forum is to paint an accurate picture of everyone's likes and dislikes in equal order. I see that as only a positive outcome, so why wouldn't I behave the same way that I ideally want to be treated and foster the environment that I appreciate most?

Yes, it's unfortunate that someone like yourself might perceive me negatively because of that, but if it has to be that way, I'm okay with that side-effect (and if necessary/given the opportunity, I can address that honest disagreement like we're doing right now). I think that ultimately, it's not a bad thing for you to be confronted with that reality rather than be coddled from it. And if not, you can always just block me if for some reason it still bothers you, even with that reasoning. There's no reason to throw around childish digs over it.

Edit: Along the exact same lines, saying that you don't see value in a work is in no way the same thing as "belittling an artist." That's another example of irrationally making something impersonal into something personal.

Last edited:

Spring in Fialta

A malign star kept him
Apr 1, 2007
Montreal, QC

Grow thicker skin. I can somewhat understand not going out of your way to bash/criticize something if it's on a public platform/will be widely consumed (i.e., being a public figure trashing with ill-will another artist's work in a media interview. My main contention here is that this can affect the artist's commercial prospects. But then how do I differentiate that with published art criticism, which I believe in?) but what you call 'meaningless exchanges of drivel posted anywhere in some obscure forum as it has no merit' is, at any rate, a reason why nobody should cater to your feelings. Who of importance is going to see it? And IMO, one can get more insight and mileage from this place than they do from a run-of-the-mill Rolling Stones article.

Last edited:

Eisen

Sep 30, 2009
Duesseldorf
Apparently Noddy Holder was offered the job of the singer after Scott died as well. I would be curious to hear a song with him. Not that I dislike Johnson.

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
As someone who also dislikes AC/DC (no possibility for adult diaper bunching over this), "Show me respect, I used to be a mod" is a pretty stupid thing to say and a valid thing to mock/call out.

izzy

go
Apr 29, 2012
Nova Scotia
you ruined a good thread

With your loved one resting on his or her back, unfasten the diaper tabs and tuck the diaper flap farthest from you under his/her hip. 3. With one hand on your loved one's hip and the other on their shoulder, gently roll your loved one onto his/her side, so that s/he is facing away from you

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad