Pre-Game Talk: Back home to face two high scoring teams, vs. OTT, WSH

c_robio

Feb 3, 2006
No matter how you slice it you're going to regress when the best line in the game isn't even a line anymore. Some guys are playing better than last year, Sustr, Vlad or Drouin for example, some are a bit underachieving but nothing regressed more than the dominance of these 3 players combined.

I'm not even talking about pure points production but the way they used to control the pace of the game that made the life of the entire team easier. Of course they weren't healthy up to now, I'm neither looking for a scapegoat nor excuse... Also Detroit sent the blueprint to the whole league last year, same no excuse but the clutch and grab era is alive and well.

Will be interesting to see if the line is put back together now. Despite Kucherov having an off game the other night you can tell he and Drouin are dynamic on a line together, but then is Palat-Johnson-x as effective with say Callahan ?

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Will be interesting to see if the line is put back together now. Despite Kucherov having an off game the other night you can tell he and Drouin are dynamic on a line together, but then is Palat-Johnson-x as effective with say Callahan ?

Hope that's the case. Johnson and Kucherov just don't seem to have that chemistry anymore. Stamkos needs to be with Kucherov, if the top line is going to have any consistent scoring or at least look dangerous. Like to see Pallahan reunited. They have looked great in the past, throw Johnson in the middle and it should be a great 2nd line. Not only will they score but no one is scoring against them.

Team has been off the last two days, so won't know what Coop is thinking till tomorrow's practice. I swear if Flip and Killorn are still up there with Stamkos....

It's interesting to note, if you look at the 5 on 5 scoring, that entire 3rd line has more ES points than Kucherov, Killorn, and Flip with less ice time played. So Coop needs to make some decisions to maximize these lines scoring ability, since the PP is a hot mess now.

The Gongshow

Fire JBB
Jul 17, 2014
Toronto
Flip & Stamkos is garbage. Give Stammer some actual wingers and maybe he'll get going. Drouin is good with who ever he plays so mine as well give him more minutes even if its with a lazy Stamkos.

Leonardo87

Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Callahan can't seem to find chemistry with anyone besides Boyle.

And Paquette, and Brown, and Flip, and Killorn, and Drouin and Vladdy, and Palat. He has never really skated with Kucherov or Johnson but I am sure he would make that work as well.

Leonardo87

Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Lines at practice....

Drouin - Stamkos - Killorn
Palat - Johnson - Kucherov
Brown - Flip - Callahan
Boyle - Vladdy - Jam

Steazy Doo

Jan 31, 2013
Lines at practice....

Brown - Flip - Callahan
Boyle - Vladdy - Jam

I actually like these lines. Jam and Vladdy on the fourth give us four lines with the potential to score. Still wont, but at least it LOOKS good.

Leonardo87

Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
I actually like these lines. Jam and Vladdy on the fourth give us four lines with the potential to score. Still wont, but at least it LOOKS good.

Yeah and Cally and flip have worked well in the past and with brown the way he is playing should get some production from them as well. Still not crazy with Killorn on the top line though.

Steazy Doo

Jan 31, 2013
Yeah and Cally and flip have worked well in the past and with brown the way he is playing should get some production from them as well. Still not crazy with Killorn on the top line though.

Well it's not working no matter who gets there so it doesn't really matter. Callahan, Flip, Killorn, all have had good stretches on the top line and then fell off. I feel like Killorn usually plays the best with Stamkos out of the three, which isn't saying much, so I understand where he's coming from.

I'd consider putting March up there.

Brie

bearer of bad news
Jul 5, 2014
Lines at practice....

Brown - Flip - Callahan
Boyle - Vladdy - Jam

I'm all for giving the TKO line another go as long as they all are ready and can give it their best, hopefully it will work again and if not we still need all three on the ice and we have to try something else, but I'm keeping my fingers crossed for the best. Hopefully Stamkos and Killorn are up for playing with a guy like Drouin, hate to see him go to waste if they can't.

The PP units are also new:

Guess they could be worth a try.

Leonardo87

Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
That 2nd unit is not bad have three guys who can carry the puck into the zone but needs a shooter. Can JAM be that shooter?

The top unit is going to have a hard time setting up but once they do should be good.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Lines look pretty good, really. The best we saw Stamkos last year was with 17 and 27, and Callahan and Brown have weirdly good chemistry.

I do think we need to have the Triplets on a leash though. If they don't work within a few games, we should spread them around.

2nd PP unit is horrific.

Leonardo87

Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Lines look pretty good, really. The best we saw Stamkos last year was with 17 and 27, and Callahan and Brown have weirdly good chemistry.

I do think we need to have the Triplets on a leash though. If they don't work within a few games, we should spread them around.

2nd PP unit is horrific.

Don't think it's too bad the 2nd unit . Drouin on there will make it better but still needs a shooter on there. Coop continues to stay top heavy on one unit. A unit that struggles to even set up.

MattM92

Dec 8, 2010
FL
I want to see Garrison get a look on the PP. He's at least a threat to shoot.

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
B2jOynj.gif

We're the little kid.

Brie

bearer of bad news
Jul 5, 2014
PP practice...

And another short video can be found here of Stammer and the TKO line doing some PP training.

http://websta.me/n/620wdae

You can't see much in the videos though, guess we're back to hoping for the best.

Jacko95

Sep 19, 2012
Why di I belief right now, that Cooper has invented a new strategy? Why do I set my self up for yet another disappointment??

The Gongshow

Fire JBB
Jul 17, 2014
Toronto
I'm down with giving TKO another chance, Coop has literally tried every other possible combination. We do have to hope they get going again, their are last hope! Kuch has come back to his true form, we just need Johnson and Palat to come around, but it might take a game or two since their both coming back from injuries.

That first PP with Stamer/Triplets/Stralman has been a thing before and has never been good. I honestly don't want Stralman on the PP he's useless and everyone knows he's just going to pass the puck to Stamkos, or waste time in our end zone before finally taking the puck forward into the attacking zone. We need a Defenseman who is willing to shoot the puck like Nesterov or Garrison, Hedman has started to get better at this but still passes way too much. They honestly just need to shoot the puck, from everywhere. No shot on net is a bad shot on net

ArmaHedman

Nov 30, 2006
Sarasota, FL
At this point can shuffle the players all he wants if they don't execute a better plan won't really matter.

Do you feel like they have a plan to execute?

Seems like we score more off the rush on the PP than actually executing a set play. We are back to trying to get Stammer the one timer and now he can't hit the net. I think that ship has sailed.

Leonardo87

Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Do you feel like they have a plan to execute?

Seems like we score more off the rush on the PP than actually executing a set play. We are back to trying to get Stammer the one timer and now he can't hit the net. I think that ship has sailed.

Yeah the plan is pass pass pass pass ooops puck gets turned over and cleared....wait 20 secs behind own net to set up again repeat process....change units... Pass pass pass pass oh look a shot misses the net and goes out the of the zone...oh look Penaltly over here comes a breakaway from the other team.

Need a point shot. Let it ride in traffic anything can happen. It's almost like they are afraid of giving up a short handed goal. You cannot think like that especially with how great Bish has been.

Kramerica Industries

Mar 21, 2013
Tampa, FL
I'm all for giving the TKO line another go as long as they all are ready and can give it their best, hopefully it will work again and if not we still need all three on the ice and we have to try something else, but I'm keeping my fingers crossed for the best. Hopefully Stamkos and Killorn are up for playing with a guy like Drouin, hate to see him go to waste if they can't.

The PP units are also new:

Guess they could be worth a try.

So, umm, who is the sniper on that second PP unit, by chance? I see "distributor, distributor, NFP, point man, and AHL'er". If JAM has some beautiful wrister or one-timer that we just don't know about (and by "we", I mean "every NHL fan and team on earth"), then I'd be floored and thrilled. Not counting on it though, for some odd reason.

2020 Cup Champions

Formerly Sila v Kucherove
Nov 26, 2013
So, umm, who is the sniper on that second PP unit, by chance? I see "distributor, distributor, NFP, point man, and AHL'er". If JAM has some beautiful wrister or one-timer that we just don't know about (and by "we", I mean "every NHL fan and team on earth"), then I'd be floored and thrilled. Not counting on it though, for some odd reason.

Drouin has a good shot.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad