Movies: BABYLON Brad Pitt, Margot Robbie, Diego Calva, Tobey Maguire

blueandgoldguy

Oct 8, 2010
Greg's River Heights
The orgy scene was too long, too much, too gross and set up a lousy pace for the movie. A midget riding a big fake dick that shoots out a white substance, items getting shoved up people's rears, and a fat guy getting pissed on. And those are just what I remember.

And frankly, I'm just not aroused by graphic 1920's styled sex scenes.

I could have done without it.

Roo Returns

Skjeikspeare No More
Mar 4, 2010
Westchester, NY
At this point Robbie needs Barbie to be smash hit because she is starting to show she doesn't have much appeal at box office being part of two of the biggest bombs in recent memory
She needs a new agent and to stop taking "the crazy girl" roles. I'm personally bored by it and she basically has "go away heat". For anyone not familiar it's in wrestling when someone gets boo'd not because they dislike you, but because they don't want to see you.

It's not just me, as you said, she's had some flops lately.

She was an "It Girl" around 7-8 years ago and Hollywood has moved onto other people in that role.

I think what also played against this movie was people are sick of that era, sick of "Insider Hollywood", and sick of Brad Pitt is "big budget Brad" and Margot Robbie.

This movie also looks like it was made just to try and win Oscars. A bore.

Most of the 2023 films look like crap already (Plane? Are you kidding me....)

Hollywood needs some of those feelgood 80s style comedies or action flicks that are not Marvel and not winking and memeing at the audience every five minutes.

Reactions: SniperHF

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
She needs a new agent and to stop taking "the crazy girl" roles. I'm personally bored by it and she basically has "go away heat". For anyone not familiar it's in wrestling when someone gets boo'd not because they dislike you, but because they don't want to see you.

It's not just me, as you said, she's had some flops lately.

She was an "It Girl" around 7-8 years ago and Hollywood has moved onto other people in that role.

I think what also played against this movie was people are sick of that era, sick of "Insider Hollywood", and sick of Brad Pitt is "big budget Brad" and Margot Robbie.

This movie also looks like it was made just to try and win Oscars. A bore.

Most of the 2023 films look like crap already (Plane? Are you kidding me....)

Hollywood needs some of those feelgood 80s style comedies or action flicks that are not Marvel and not winking and memeing at the audience every five minutes.
Robbie is basically playing a variation on Harley Quinn at this point. As for Babylon, the core idea of the transition from silent films to "talkies" was never going to have broad appeal today so Chazelle went all in on the depravity angle. That doesn't appear to be working either. I'm not sure if this was supposed to be an unholy union between The Wolf of Wall Street and Once Upon a Time in Hollywood but it's not resonating.

Roo Returns

Skjeikspeare No More
Mar 4, 2010
Westchester, NY
Robbie is basically playing a variation on Harley Quinn at this point. As for Babylon, the core idea of the transition from silent films to "talkies" was never going to have broad appeal today so Chazelle went all in on the depravity angle. That doesn't appear to be working either. I'm not sure if this was supposed to be an unholy union between The Wolf of Wall Street and Once Upon a Time in Hollywood but it's not resonating.
It's so lame and she has a really bad agent. She can actually act. Wasting her talent and prime years.

I actually really didn't like Once Upon A Time In Hollywood. It was one of those movies that if it didn't have Tarrantino's name, would be called trash. To me his only good recent movie was Hateful Eight which was basically a Broadway play with a lot of scenery.

The whole "time period/showing the raw history of Hollywood" as a genre is basically a dead horse. Inland Empire and La La Land already did it. LA Confidential was about the city. Etc.

• Haha
Reactions: Sentinel

Behn Wilson

Mar 14, 2002
Chicago, Il
Visit site
They started this out to be a biopic of Clara Bow then just changed it to that era and Hollywood debauchery.

If going that route then they should have based it on Tallulah Bankhead. Gilbert Gottfried had a lot of old Hollywood experts and old timers on and the stories on here were legendary far worse than what was described as in this movie.

Gilbert's podcast was great and some of the scandals he brought up, he talked about hysterically like the Danny Thomas glass coffee table, Cesar Romero orange wedges, the Pat McCormack helicopter story. I used to love that weekly podcast and miss it. R.I.P. Gilbert! Gone far too soon. If you didnt listen to his podcast he was a savant on Old Hollywood, would have loved to hear him comment on this movie

Reactions: Bryanbryoil

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad