Babcock's departure leads to Larkin signing

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Good. Better to put 10 lbs with Glendy, than with Byfuglien... :handclap:

So, Larkin went from 190 lbs --> to 200 lbs ?

2014 Combine measurements had him at 190, and U of M had him at 192.

So he is probably 200 or a little more. Already heavier than Malkin ;)

DanZ

Mar 6, 2008
I think it had less to do with Babcock leaving and more to do with him already having played for Blashill in GR. Obviously, the two go hand-in-hand, but I don't think this was a slight against Babcock.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
2014 Combine measurements had him at 190, and U of M had him at 192.

So he is probably 200 or a little more. Already heavier than Malkin ;)

Just heard that Phil Kessel has lost 13 lbs... hopefully that didn't transfer from his cheeks straight to Larkin's cheeks. :sarcasm:

HomersWorld

Mar 8, 2012
I think it had less to do with Babcock leaving and more to do with him already having played for Blashill in GR. Obviously, the two go hand-in-hand, but I don't think this was a slight against Babcock.

Didn't he have to sign before he played in GR? Or was he allowed to play on a "try-out" or something? My memory is a little fuzzy.

Either way, I saw him play in Grand Rapids and I'm fully aboard the hype train. It seemed like he saw the ice so much better than anyone else playing.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Didn't he have to sign before he played in GR? Or was he allowed to play on a "try-out" or something? My memory is a little fuzzy.

Either way, I saw him play in Grand Rapids and I'm fully aboard the hype train. It seemed like he saw the ice so much better than anyone else playing.

As a NCAA player he had to sign and give up amateur status. Of course that was after the World Championships and with full knowledge Babcock was leaving and he was playing for his likely future coach at the NHL level.

SirloinUB

Aug 20, 2010
Canada
"I've been reading the past few days, they said I signed just because Babcock left is kind of twisting my words," Larkin said. "It was a pretty subtle question but they asked if that was one of the factors and I said yes, with Blash (Jeff Blashill) coming here, I feel like it's a new opportunity. It's not everything. I think with my abilities and the player I want to be, I think I can help the Detroit Red Wings."

How about we simmer down eh folks?

DanZ

Mar 6, 2008
"I've been reading the past few days, they said I signed just because Babcock left is kind of twisting my words," Larkin said. "It was a pretty subtle question but they asked if that was one of the factors and I said yes, with Blash (Jeff Blashill) coming here, I feel like it's a new opportunity. It's not everything. I think with my abilities and the player I want to be, I think I can help the Detroit Red Wings."

Like I said, I don't think Larkin meant it as a slight against Babs.

SpookyTsuki

Dec 3, 2014

But it was a factor.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
Like I said, I don't think Larkin meant it as a slight against Babs.

I'm glad he expanded on that.

I didn't think it was a slight either, and said so previously. Just because he sees more opportunity with a new coach doesn't mean it's a knock on Babcock. But Babcock leaving has opened the door a little wider, which is how I took it.

Aug 6, 2012
But it was a factor.

It was a factor as in having a new coach opens up a lot of opportunities, especially when you get a chance to play for him in the AHL playoffs. I think it was more about Blashill becoming the new head coach than anything Babs related.

RayMoonDoh

Outta Waiver Stuff
Nov 12, 2011
Shore Shack
Use your twin peak skills to solve this mystery of Larkin Babs Blash triangle

If i may interject, I find it strange how no one has suggested that Blash is actually under KillerBABS' control. Hense their similar speech pattern. Dark forces from some Western Canadian Woods are after Larkin's creamed corn.

Spoiler alert, reverse.

SpookyTsuki

Dec 3, 2014
If i may interject, I find it strange how no one has suggested that Blash is actually under KillerBABS' control. Hense their similar speech pattern. Dark forces from some Western Canadian Woods are after Larkin's creamed corn.

Spoiler alert, reverse.

My mind is so blown right now, I dont even think Larkin remembers why he signed.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad