Babcock

First ever head coach of the franchise?

• Total voters

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
Do NOT want Babcock.

As much as I hated Gallant as a Sharks fan, I would definitely be on-board getting him as our head coach on the Kraken. Not sure how interested he would be though to be honest to coach another expansion team.

I would target up and coming coaches from the AHL and juniors as well as any available NHL coaches with experience.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
Babcock seems to be a guy that it's his way or the highway. Until he finds a way to change his ways he really shouldn't be coaching any team
As a long time Wings fan, I can tell you that you are absolutely correct in your assessment of Babcock. His approach does work with an established veteran team with talent, but he's not the right coach for an expansion team.

tmlms13

Apr 11, 2012
Waterloo, Ontario
Babcock gets 6.25 million by sitting on his butt doing nothing for 3 more years. If he takes the job he gives all that up. Do you think an expansion franchise will want to pay more?

Fisticuffer

Mar 14, 2020
I don’t know about Babs.
He is a knowledgeable hockey man, however, his ego and stubbornness not only seem to strain relations within an organization but get the better of Babcock himself. Like it’s more important to stick to his guns than to change things up. I’m also a firm believer that a positive environment behind the scenes finds it’s way onto the ice. I don’t know that Babcock couldn’t contribute to the right environment but I’d prefer not to risk it.

The Marquis

Aug 24, 2020
Washougal, WA
He doesn't really seem to fit the Kraken's current trend of hiring in any way shape or form. I mean, there are only 35 people on the planet apparently capable of being the head coach of an NHL team.. so I might be wrong.

seroes

May 3, 2016
California
As a sharks fan I fully support any Kraken decision to shoot themselves in the foot. Hiring Babcock certainly qualifies.

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
Can finally put an end to the idea that Babcock will be the HC for Seattle. He's been hired by NBC for hockey commentary.

kihei

McEnroe: The older I get, the better I used to be.
Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
He's toxic, and I would be very surprised if this particular leopard has changed his spots. The incident with Mitch Marner tells any prospective employer all they need to know. He would be a bad start for the Kraken.

Mike Jones

Apr 12, 2007
Calgary
I'll throw my vote in - Gallant is Seattle's guy and not Babsy. I don't know what kind of sorcery Gallant worked in Vegas but Seattle could probably use it in those first few years fighting for the cup.

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
I'll throw my vote in - Gallant is Seattle's guy and not Babsy. I don't know what kind of sorcery Gallant worked in Vegas but Seattle could probably use it in those first few years fighting for the cup.

I am going to temper expectations as far as competing for the cup goes but I think having Gallant would help because:

- The players know he can overachieve if they follow and play his system. A buy-in from both the vets and kids would be critical for a good start.
- The UFA's may be more open to join Seattle because they know what Gallant has done recently with Vegas.

That being said, I think it would be wise for us to expect Kraken to be a bubble team for the first few years and not have a Vegas like start.

DudeWhereIsMakar

Bergevin sent me an offer sheet
Apr 25, 2014
Winnipeg
Hoping Boudreau isn't named head coach of the Kraken. He'd ruin that team very quickly.

Think they should wait until the season comes to an end. But I think a good and likely choice might be Ulf Samuelsson considering he already knows the organization.

LeafSteel

GO LEAFS GO!!!
Mar 5, 2014
Toronto
I think Gallant would be an excellent coach for you guys.

welcome aboard! Your logo and name are awesome and looking forward to seeing the passionate hockey fans of Seattle, past, present and future, have a team of their own!

Now, let’s get the Sonics and Vancouver Grizzlies back and really have some fun!

cheers!

Toronto makebeleifs

Jul 4, 2014
Babcock can set expectations and culture. He is no longer an effective NHL coach that can adequately manage a game. Gallant is an excellent coach, Ted Nolan is available (despite his apparent blackballing by the NHL), Unfounded roumors of Quenville looking at seattle (doubt it), Tochectt* (sp?) Is avail, Torts (ehhhhhhhh), Hell- The best coach for a team that will likey lack a ton of offensive firepower might just be Guy Boucher (my pick after Gallant). Babcock should NOT be the guy coaching this team.

WolfgangPuck

May 12, 2012
Gallant just took a bunch of fringe Canadian players who never played together as a team to Gold medal today.
He took a newly assembled Vegas team to the Stanley Cup Final in his first year
I say he is the man for this job

Reactions: GoldenSeal

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad