News Article: Babcock used Sabres to drive up price with the Leafs

AustonsNostrils

Apr 5, 2016
not sure what thread this belongs in.

Babcock confirms the suspicion that he used the Buffalo Sabres to up his value, never had any interest in coaching here. The statement was made at a lecture he was giving at a coaching symposium in Sept 2015.

Last edited:

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Tempest in a tea pot. The 20:00 minute mark is where he makes the comment, including the statement "there were other teams set up way better" which may also be inferred as Buffalo. At no point does he say anything about price, he spends 20 minutes talking about relationships.

:facepalm: :shakehead

AustonsNostrils

Apr 5, 2016
the point is he did say he was never going to leave Detroit for any team other than an Original 6 team, which the Sabres are not. So why would he waste the time of the Pegulas and Tim Murray? For ***** and giggles?

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
the point is he did say he was never going to leave Detroit for any team other than an Original 6 team, which the Sabres are not. So why would he waste the time of the Pegulas and Tim Murray? For ***** and giggles?

"When it came right down to it, I was fortunate to have lots of opportunities. I couldn't see myself leaving Detroit to not go to an Original Six team even though a lot of teams were set up way better."

sincerity0

Dec 23, 2016
I couldn't care less if he used interest from Buffalo to drive up his price elsewhere.
its a legitimate negotiating tactic.

Unfortunately, some teams have an advantage due to the city's allure (NYC, Toronto, LA, etc), some because of weather or taxes. Every city is different. To criticize Babcock for picking Toronto because his wife had some influence in it is silly. Moving locations for jobs is a process and the entire family is usually affected -- of course they are going to have input!

Based on his comment posted above, it seemed like he also wanted to be part of the "allure" of a city. If that is an aspect of the job that he wanted, Buffalo can't compare to Toronto. It's no different than a poster being swayed to a job because of the title of the position.

old kummelweck

Nov 10, 2003
Babcock still needs more pieces to win in Toronto. It's obvious the Leaf's brass isn't thrilled with the roster with the way the sent Lamoriello packing. That city is tough on their hockey team and they expected much more than a first round exit this season. Now they need to start trying to fix that roster and also not regress. If they tread water for another season or two, I can see them running Babcock out of town.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Babcock still needs more pieces to win in Toronto. It's obvious the Leaf's brass isn't thrilled with the roster with the way the sent Lamoriello packing. That city is tough on their hockey team and they expected much more than a first round exit this season. Now they need to start trying to fix that roster and also not regress. If they tread water for another season or two, I can see them running Babcock out of town.

Lou was only ever supposed to be there for three years. That was the plan from the start.

AustonsNostrils

Apr 5, 2016
Lamoriello becoming the president of the Islanders and then bringing Mark Hunter in to be GM would be a nice F U to the Leafs. Lou has no reason to be vindictive towards them but he also doesn't owe them anything - he did a great job for them and at a healthy 75 he's a competitive guy still.

Reactions: sabremike

TehDoak

Chili that wants to be here
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything
It was clear from Babcock's presser in Toronto he used Buffalo to leverage his leaf deals. Toronto offered 10 year, 50M. After going down the path with Buffalo, he called up Toronto and got a 8 year, 50M deal. a raise from 5M per to 6.25M per year, a 25% bump.

I think the original six stuff is a bit of revisionist history. I think he and his wife wanted a nice vibrant downtown with a luxury condo move to after years of suburbs living (which is what he said after he signed in Toronto). There were reports he cold called San Jose during the process to see if they wanted to throw their hat in the ring. He now lays on the thick "Heritage" and "original six" BS because he's in Toronto, and Toronto loves that shit.

Reactions: The Zetterberg Era

Ace

Oct 29, 2015
It is too bad. He’d have a much shorter trip to make peace with Jack than he did having to go to Arizona to make peace with Matthews. Much shorter.

Steddy33

Jan 7, 2012
If it wasn't for the bring Grigorenko back thread, this one would be the best

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad