News Article: Babcock used Sabres to drive up price with the Leafs

DJN21

Aug 8, 2011
Rochester
As does TBN and WGR.

I wonder who their first choices were...

I wonder if we would be much better off with Richards had we landed him over leino? I mean obviously yes slightly better but in a larger scope it likely would be a bit of a wash...of course that's assuming Richards still regressed as he did in buffalo...

Sansbacon

Sep 26, 2006
Westchester, NY
I wonder if we would be much better off with Richards had we landed him over leino? I mean obviously yes slightly better but in a larger scope it likely would be a bit of a wash...of course that's assuming Richards still regressed as he did in buffalo...
Oh I was referring to Paul Ham, Schopp, Bulldog, Sullivan, Harrington, etc.

Surely there is no way they were the front runners :laugh:

pigpen65

Jul 25, 2011
Not like it wasn't obvious as it was happening but just add another to the list of Murray getting completely owned and taken advantage of. What an absolute rube that guy was.

flashsabre

Apr 5, 2003
Visit site
Remember when Harrington went to Toronto for the press conference and called out Babcock on being deceitful and Babcock made a big deal about how he takes his word very seriously. Sure Babcock! He's going to try to steamroll over Dubas and will be on the outs with Matthews and they will can him and bring up Keefe. Hilarity will ensue in Toronto without Lou there to keep Babcock in line and hold everyone's hand.

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
Lamoriello becoming the president of the Islanders and then bringing Mark Hunter in to be GM would be a nice F U to the Leafs. Lou has no reason to be vindictive towards them but he also doesn't owe them anything - he did a great job for them and at a healthy 75 he's a competitive guy still.
Mark Hunter should become their GM and save them from their current insanity as penance for what his horrible brother did to them.

Beerz

Jun 28, 2011
I call bull on this. Babcock was chasing money. He would of took it

Of course he is saying what he's saying. I'd expect nothing else

Buffaloed

webmaster
Feb 27, 2002
Niagara Falls
Indirectly, in the sense that a butterfly flapping its wings in Buffalo can cause a hurricane in China, Leino is responsible for Dahlin. We could celebrate Dahleino day to show our appreciation.

Reactions: Der Jaeger

DolanPlsGoSabres

スカンデッラ
Mar 17, 2013
Nagoya
Indirectly, in the sense that a butterfly flapping its wings in Buffalo can cause a hurricane in China, Leino is responsible for Dahlin. We could celebrate Dahleino day to show our appreciation.

Damn, my shrine was filled with Meszaros, McBain, Benoit and Sulzer. Looks like I need to make more space.

Ace

Oct 29, 2015
Not like it wasn't obvious as it was happening but just add another to the list of Murray getting completely owned and taken advantage of. What an absolute rube that guy was.

Are we totally revising the history on this now? Every single thing written about it said Pegula had starry eyes for the biggest fish and is the one who felt personally slighted when he got played. Murray finished his sandwich,

Reactions: Buffaloed

enthusiast

cybersabre his prophet
Oct 20, 2009
Man's a good coach but he's somehow acquired the Arbour/Bowman level mystique with one cup win

Buffaloed

webmaster
Feb 27, 2002
Niagara Falls
Are we totally revising the history on this now? Every single thing written about it said Pegula had starry eyes for the biggest fish and is the one who felt personally slighted when he got played. Murray finished his sandwich,
That's why Pegula has been a failed owner. He gets emotionally invested and doesn't know which way to turn when things don't go his way. You can't have a leader who takes his troops into battle and jumps in a foxhole when things go wrong. All this talk about the Sabres need for leadership and how they have to change the culture fails to recognize that Terry Pegula is the problem. He needs to get out of the way and let the professionals do their job.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
People did see that the video in the original post is 3 years old right? There's no revisionism going on

Yes, and in it he does not say that he explains why he took the Leaf job. The revisionism is the comment in the title of the OP.

pigpen65

Jul 25, 2011

I remember Murray firing Nolan, everything being written about it saying Murray and Nolan didn't get along, Murray saying at the press conference that it was about them not getting completely along and how important it was to find the coach that was the perfect fit, and then a lot about how Babcock was a shoe in because Murray had kind of history with Babcock. Is that rewriting history or did all that stuff happen?

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
Yes, and in it he does not say that he explains why he took the Leaf job. The revisionism is the comment in the title of the OP.
Blame me for the thread title phrasing. I pulled his post out of the roster speculation thread and started this one. :laugh:

"Craigs on it"
Apr 9, 2012
Canada
Mike Babcock is the most overrated coach in hockey, but his interviews are unbelievable.

brian_griffin

"Eric Cartman?"
May 10, 2007
In the Panderverse
Can Ha Nostri, Wisent, or Heraldic please confirm that "Dahlin" in Swedish actually means "Chinese butterfly hurricane"?
Damn, my shrine was filled with Meszaros, McBain, Benoit and Sulzer. Looks like I need to make more space.
If you put a miniature hockey helmet and a beard on this guy, he looks just like Phil Kessel.
Laughing-Buddha-Gold-Statue-Wallpaper.jpg

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad