OT: Babcock takes coaching job with University of Vermont (July 2020)

Ricelund

̶W̶e̶ ̶l̶i̶k̶e̶ ̶o̶u̶r̶ ̶t̶e̶a̶m̶
Apr 16, 2006
New York, NY
I totally missed this somehow and it looks like no one posted about it on the DRW board.
The University of Vermont hockey team has added a high profile, but controversial, former NHL head coach to its coaching staff.

Earlier this week, the team announced that Mike Babcock, a former Stanley Cup winning coach who coached for the Detroit Red Wings and Toronto Maple Leafs, would be joining the team as an unpaid assistant coach.
I wonder if he'll make his way back to the NHL.

Reactions: lilidk

ShelbyZ

Apr 8, 2015
I remember reading something somewhere that said when NHL coaches get fired/dismissed, they're supposed to find or at least attempt to find some kind of work. Then whatever they get paid at the new gig gets deducted from what they're owed on the NHL contract. Hence why fired coaches end up with vague "advisor" roles or part time gigs on NHL Network and stuff like that. Perhaps an unpaid position counts toward this and it's Babcock's way of sticking it to the Leafs?

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
I remember reading something somewhere that said when NHL coaches get fired/dismissed, they're supposed to find or at least attempt to find some kind of work. Then whatever they get paid at the new gig gets deducted from what they're owed on the NHL contract. Hence why fired coaches end up with vague "advisor" roles or part time gigs on NHL Network and stuff like that. Perhaps an unpaid position counts toward this and it's Babcock's way of sticking it to the Leafs?

That makes a ton of sense. Just let the Leafs pay his salary, then.

ShippinItDaily

Apr 28, 2004
Saskatoon

I have read the same, somewhere.

Reactions: 14ari13

ManwithNoIdentity

Jun 4, 2016
Kalamazoo, MI
Babcock is a good coach and still better than several in the NHL today, but he tried to be Scotty Bowman (and missed the mark) in an era where you can't really do that crap anymore.

I would be surprised if he didn't end up coaching in the NHL again after rehabbing his image for a bit.

He’s been garbage for 10+ years and his reputation is shot

I doubt he’s going to ever change his ways so good luck to him with rehabbing his rep

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
So is he going to speak with one of the younger coaches and ask "In what areas do you think you're better than the other coaches?" Then show that list to all the coaches?

I heard the 3rd tier coach was already upset with what he learned from the list!

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
Remember all of the rumors of him taking over at UM? I'm thinking Babcock might just genuinely enjoy working with college kids and this is his way of doing it without having to take on all of responsibilities and hassle of it as a full time gig.

Reactions: Martinez

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
Predict him being the next Oilers coach. You can already book it.
LOL, Kenny does love to recycle.

Tippet has two more seasons left and Babcock has three years @ $6.25M/yr left on his contract. He's not in a hurry to find a new job, so it might just work out....

DetroitRed

Crashes the Crease
Apr 7, 2013
Detroit
Must've changed his mind or I heard him wrong, but I seem to recall that when he went to Toronto, he wanted to stay in Canada.

ShelbyZ

Apr 8, 2015
Babcock is a good coach and still better than several in the NHL today, but he tried to be Scotty Bowman (and missed the mark) in an era where you can't really do that crap anymore.

I would be surprised if he didn't end up coaching in the NHL again after rehabbing his image for a bit.

Speaking of Bowman, I think what's kind of interesting is that Babcock's career arc has so far been very similar to that of Bowman's, albeit without the multiple Cups.

Both coaches:

-Were/are hated by players
-Started their NHL coaching careers young with a trip to the Finals in their first season
-Success with first team leads to a long and successful tenure with a powerhouse contending team where they win at least one Cup
-Go to a close by third team expected to change the teams fortunes for the better
-The third team's results don't pan out and they are gone in the middle of a season (although Bowman resigned)
-Have their NHL luster wear off in their mid-50's after being in the NHL spotlight around 17-18ish years

Took Bowman a little less than 5 years to get back in an NHL coaching job, so maybe we'll see Babcock in 2024.

ridilon

Sep 14, 2017

Well that's for sure. But you don't need coaches like Babcock or Bowman to win. Cooper proved that. Trotz is another fine example.

DearDiary

🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷
Aug 29, 2010
Well that's for sure. But you don't need coaches like Babcock or Bowman to win. Cooper proved that. Trotz is another fine example.

Cooper has underperformed most seasons despite having the best roster on paper every season.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad