Sportsnet: Babcock not happy with refs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007
Second video on the page.

Babcock clearly thinks the refs are not calling the game fairly.

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/nazem-kadri-may-earning-reputation-officials/

Meh... I think Kadri embellishes a lot myself... But the ref def favour Boston. I think the refs should've called the Reilly play, it was a race for the puck... Rielly was winning and he was shoved.. Albeit not hard, but it was a dangerous play. No call and they got the empty net goal too.

FlareKnight

Jun 26, 2006
Alberta
I certainly don't blame him. It's a tough job being a ref and getting things right, but tough jobs still require you to do them properly. That's why they get paid.

Kadri embellishes, true enough. But in the end you still can't let people pull dangerous stunts or say "it's fine if you hurt a guy, so long as its a guy the refs don't like."

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007
I certainly don't blame him. It's a tough job being a ref and getting things right, but tough jobs still require you to do them properly. That's why they get paid.

Kadri embellishes, true enough. But in the end you still can't let people pull dangerous stunts or say "it's fine if you hurt a guy, so long as its a guy the refs don't like."

Kadri was aware the guy was behind him on that last play, he took a light shot, then the second... Which didn't look too powerful and he crumpled to the boards... And did the typical kadri "what the heck... That hurt" face. I could be wrong, but the replays I watched, kadri didn't seem to take a very powerful cross check. Was it powerful?

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
Meh... I think Kadri embellishes a lot myself... But the ref def favour Boston. I think the refs should've called the Reilly play, it was a race for the puck... Rielly was winning and he was shoved.. Albeit not hard, but it was a dangerous play. No call and they got the empty net goal too.

I think its because he possesses the puck so much in the offensive zone and goes into high traffic possessing the puck in all three zones.

Whatever he is doing works.

Durrr

Sep 11, 2012
Kadri was aware the guy was behind him on that last play, he took a light shot, then the second... Which didn't look too powerful and he crumpled to the boards... And did the typical kadri "what the heck... That hurt" face. I could be wrong, but the replays I watched, kadri didn't seem to take a very powerful cross check. Was it powerful?

Is this for real? This isn't falling on open ice and embellishing, you think any person is willingly going to let themselves be shoved face first into the boards?

Pookie

Wear a mask
Oct 23, 2013
We've all heard the story of the boy who cried wolf.

Players draw penalties. Given everyone, including officials, have post game video review, is it any surprise that players who draw a lot of penalties would become "known?"

This reputation influences judgement. However, we can't ***** about the non-calls while applauding the embellished ones that resulted in power plays.

Refs got it wrong in both instances. There is no conspiracy. Just human.

Ash35

Jan 29, 2010
I honestly don't feel Kadri dives at all. He possibly embellishes every once in while but reality is he keeps his feet moving and he is really light on his skates. That combination causes him to loose his balance all the time. I completely agree with Babcock. If it's a penalty than call it. If it's a dive then call that do but do your Friggin job.

BackHandShelf22

Apr 12, 2014
I honestly don't feel Kadri dives at all. He possibly embellishes every once in while but reality is he keeps his feet moving and he is really light on his skates. That combination causes him to loose his balance all the time. I completely agree with Babcock. If it's a penalty than call it. If it's a dive then call that do but do your Friggin job.

He rarely 'dives' yes. When he's doing his thing he's extenuating the penalty without flailing around like some of the more colourful divers out there. Let's call it what it is though, they're in the same realm. Kadri's been pretty good at drawing subtle holds, hooks and trips. Lately however he has been a bit too flamboyant in the last few months, so it's getting noticed. Do I think he doesn't deserve a few calls here and there because of the excess, yes. But it's been getting ridiculous of late. Don't blame Babs for saying it like it is.

Last edited:

Pookie

Wear a mask
Oct 23, 2013

In reviewing their performance in games and developing an awareness of players that draw penalties that may influence their decisions next time, are they not in fact doing their jobs and trying to get better?

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
We've all heard the story of the boy who cried wolf.

Players draw penalties. Given everyone, including officials, have post game video review, is it any surprise that players who draw a lot of penalties would become "known?"

This reputation influences judgement. However, we can't ***** about the non-calls while applauding the embellished ones that resulted in power plays.

Refs got it wrong in both instances. There is no conspiracy. Just human.

A drawn penalty doesn't mean an embellishment or dive has occurred, it often means the player just got under the other player's skin forcing them to overreact.

Stats01

Jul 12, 2009
Toronto

what kind of junk is this? you really think someone would put their own body/health at risk by getting cross checked into the boards just to draw a penalty? Also "that hurt" face comment is laughable.

Stats01

Jul 12, 2009
Toronto
Also I mentioned this yesterday, whether a player has a "reputation" or not it doesn't mean you purposely NOT make a call. A penalty is a penalty, whether Kadri embellished or not he still got cross checked and the refs missed it.

MoeMoney

Mar 11, 2012
As well he should, thats a coach standing up for his star player, Ide be more concerned if he didnt say anything. Pretty bush league from the refs if they intentionally called the game like that. The thing about having guys like Babcock, Shanahan, and Lou is that they come with respect around the league and Im sure if they have questions they will get answers from the NHL. Feels good to have competent respectable hockey people running the operations.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
what kind of junk is this? you really think someone would put their own body/health at risk by getting cross checked into the boards just to draw a penalty? Also "that hurt" face comment is laughable.

Yes.

We see it all the time, players will turn to get hit from behind and draw the penalty.

I think it is time the players putting themselves in these situation should be suspended until they learn to put their own health ahead of getting the call.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
My issue with the refs is that they aren't consistent. I've seen worse than the Kadri hit get nothing and I've seen less than the Kadri hit get huge suspensions or fines. The Boston game is the same thing, and Boston alone have caused half of Lupul's major injuries with suspend-worthy hits that didn't get any discipline.

I don't like how Komarov got a 3-game suspension for his hit on McDonough, which was no where nearly as dirty as Zibby's hit on Bozak, which got nothing... Not even a minor for elbowing.

Really, now that we got rid of Phaneuf, we don't have players that perform borderline hits. Even then, more often than not, Phaneuf's hits weren't crossing the line. I don't remember many times where a Leafs player did something that was suspend (or fine) worthy and was NOT suspended or fined for it. However I can't count the amount of times teams have got away with it on our players and didn't even get a minor penalty.

That's what really upsetting for fans and coaches. I'm sure that's why Babcock was upset, because he's seen both the Rielly and Kadri hits not only get minor/major penalties, but suspensions for similar hits our players have performed.

StevieBlunder

Jun 17, 2015
I can understand having a mark out on Kadri. He dives occasionally, whatever.

For me, it's the other calls and aspects of the game that the refs have been failing at. And it's league wide. I dunno, I for one have noticed a MAJOR dip in the quality of reffing this season around the board.

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007
Is this for real? This isn't falling on open ice and embellishing, you think any person is willingly going to let themselves be shoved face first into the boards?

Haha relax... It's not like he and another guy were going full out and he just decided to risk life for a penalty... The defender was on his back, both players feet weren't moving....kadri wasn't risking anything by taking the cross check and falling forward into the boards, yes it happens a lot, hence the reason a lot of them go uncalled.

pucci2001

Jun 3, 2012

They called a crosschecking penalty on Marincin when he barely touched Marchand who defined the word embellishment. Couldn't believe that. Not even like Marincin has a mean bone in his body.

Ash35

Jan 29, 2010
In reviewing their performance in games and developing an awareness of players that draw penalties that may influence their decisions next time, are they not in fact doing their jobs and trying to get better?

It's fine to be aware of players who draw penalties but it doesn't mean to stop calling obviously penalties when you see them. Since when is drawing penalties a bad thing? It doesn't mean you are a diver.

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013

Tie Domi admits in his new book to positioning his body so when he got hit his forehead would hit the dasher boards to draw blood, so yes players would and do try to do things that might sound stupid/dangerous to draw penalties.

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013
It's fine to be aware of players who draw penalties but it doesn't mean to stop calling obviously penalties when you see them. Since when is drawing penalties a bad thing? It doesn't mean you are a diver.

What better way to send a message to Naz than to stop giving him the benefit of the doubt.

Refs are people, just like any one else, they take people trying to manipulate them in a personal way, they take pride in getting their calls right. After every game the NHL will send a"pack" of bad and good calls to the refs for them to review before their next game.

If your constantly seeing the same guy over and over again in the embellishment category, when that guy falls to the ice you will be less likely to give him the benefit of the doubt. the old saying about you made your bed now sleep in it is apt for Naz in this circumstance.

Naz needs to rebuild the trust of the refs if he wishes to get those calls again. Lets see in our next game if Babs calling out the refs has any impact.

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013
They called a crosschecking penalty on Marincin when he barely touched Marchand who defined the word embellishment. Couldn't believe that. Not even like Marincin has a mean bone in his body.

Marincin seems to be the opposite of Kadri, I've anecdotally noticed he gets a lot of borderline calls go against him.

Pookie

Wear a mask
Oct 23, 2013

There's drawing a hooking penalty because I am faster and beat a defenseman to the outside and his only choice to prevent me from getting to the net is to hook.

There's drawing a hooking penalty because I feel a stick in my midsection and I hold on to it while doing a swan dive.

The ref has to make the call in an instant. A player's reputation factors into this is. And that reputation grows with each game tape reviewed by on ice and senior officials that rate them.

Do they miss penalties? Sure. Have they awarded the Leafs power plays when they should have been penalized for diving? You bet.

Is this whining about nothing in order to create an us vs them team mentality? Bring a new core group together in unison against an external force?

Probably.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad