Post-Game Talk: Babcock gets out-coached and team gets embarrassed again.

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
Coaching is weak.
Defence is weak
Andersen is weak.

When Bozak is one of 2 of your only good players, your in trouble.

Reactions: Polaris1010

francis246

Nov 16, 2007
Off the ice how so? But on ice, the defensive play has to improve. This road trip made it evident we need a defenseman. Doesn't have to be a #1. But anyone who can step in as a top 4 D would be welcomed

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
Anyone notice the book sticking out of Babcock's pocket? I think it said Learn to Trap with Guy Boucher.

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
We're late into every situation. We lose them. The rest puck watch. Get late into position on the next play. Then we break out, and we don't help each other. And then they come back, and the cycle continues. And then the game is done.

There was one play that exemplified it. They put on some pressure on the left side of the zone. We get the puck and Hainsey move it behind the back. Looks up, and there's nothing there. Nylander and JVR stood in the middle of the zone, next to an opponent, and just watched. And soon enough they came back at us.

This was pathetic, from coaching through the entire lineup. Including Babcock. We make it 6-4, and it should have been 5-4 if he hadn't just shrugged and ignored a clear GI. But it's another game that got close because the game is over, and the other team stopped playing.

Great
Martin - Best game as a Leaf. One of few who did his job, was where he was supposed to be, made the smart play. Add some of the best plays of the night. What a weird thing to put him up here.

Good
Hyman - Hyman care nothing about scores, moods, slumps. He just Hymans. Including wiffing on the puck alone with the goaltender.
Bozak - Was absolutely dreadful to start, but was surprisingly energetic and had a few very good shifts later on. Pair of goals. Great for him.

Average
Borgman - Beauty shot.
Kapanen - I liked Kapanen, he was creating things with his speed.
Marner - Mixed bag. He infuriated me with some very lazy shifts in his own zone, but also was active offensively.
Matthews - Bad play on the first goal, mediocre effort in general. Showed pride, but had trouble getting to good scoring chances.
Carrick - Draws in again, and again somehow manages to screw up what he normally does best. Edit: Judged him too much on his start. Played mostly with the fourth line, but that combination was the only one to win their match up, and Carrick played his part.

Bad
Komarov - Leo is a very mediocre hockey player right now.
Marleau - Marleau was rough tonight. Very rough. Got pretty much owned when he was on the ice by the other center.
Brown - Got gifted a goal by a great Hyman play. Got moved up with Matthews, and did absolutely nothing.
Gardiner - Not as awful as some of his other games.
Zaitsev - Not quite as awful as the last few.
Rielly - Not a great game for Rielly either.
Hainsey - Even Hainsey looked lost defensively at times.
Andersen - He's not bailing us out, that's for sure.

Awful
Kadri - Seriously, what on earth is Kadri doing lately? He looks dreadful. He looks like an overwhelmed rookie at times.
JVR - Sometimes you watch him play, and you have no idea how he can be a high-end offensive player.
Nylander - Love Nylander, but tonight he spent most of his ice time with gliding around watching the play, taking shortcuts, missing simple plays, and being a complete non-factor in every other way. Deservedly benched for a large part of the game.

Last edited:

hockeyes

Jun 15, 2013
Randy Carlyle knew how to get the most out of his players despite being a bad coach, Babcock manages to get at least half the team to look terrible every game and sabotage them when he has a chance to directly inject. What an overpriced bum. "Let's get competitive boys!!" = highest paid coach

Marshy

Behind Enemy Lines
Oct 3, 2007
Ottawa
I'm going to give Babcock a pass on that absolute brain fart. Nobody's perfect.

Do the right thing though Babs. Own up to the mistake.

A1LeafNation

Obsession beats talent everytime!!
Oct 17, 2010
The only constant in the last 6 games has been Babcocks coaching.

Good enough only to beat a team with two of it's best centers missing.

Reactions: mcleex

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
Babcock tightened the reigns after the Carolina game and coached his team right back to .500.

Not yet. One more embarrassing loss to an expansion team and we're .500. I have full confidence in Babcock.

I think Babcock needs to add more eats right, sleeps right, works right players on Matthews line.

Matthews needs to play with Komarov and Martin.

leaffaninvancouver

formerly in Victoria
Jan 11, 2012
Liked the fight in the third but too little to late. I wonder what the lines look like next game, do they stay the same?

Reactions: Marner

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad