Babcock Contract Negotiations

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
I'm cool with that. At this point in time, at least.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
I think Babcock's biggest sticking point was being behind the bench for a winner now, and also the next few years.

So I guess that tells us all we need to know about what Babcock thinks of the future of Nyquist, Tatar, Sheahan, Jurco, Mrazek, Dekeyser and co...
We should take this as one hell of a ringing endorsement for the young players.

I am kind of a proponent of trading Smith, given this potential news. I don't think he will ever flourish under Babcock, but think he could elsewhere. Think it would be beneficial for both parties to try to attempt to land a trade. Probably has some decent trade value. Wonder if a Smith + Pulkkinen package could entice someone for a top 4 offensive defenseman.

Last edited:

silkyjohnson50

Jan 10, 2007
Good. I was ready for him to leave at times over the past few seasons thanks to Cleary and like situations, but I think the new wave of youth has given him some new fresh air so to speak and everyone's winning. Win another Cup.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
I'd be ok with 5yr for 15 mil.

I don't care what they pay him, whatever makes him happy. We are going to pay Cleary 2.5 to be the mascot. 5 years seems like a long time, though.

Apr 14, 2009
Canada
I don't care what they pay him, whatever makes him happy. We are going to pay Cleary 2.5 to be the mascot. 5 years seems like a long time, though.

Yep

Who cares what the coach makes. There is no coaching salary cap, so whatever.

Funny how he is viewed as the best coach in the game, yet guys like Bill Barber and Bobby Francis have Jack Adams awards, and Babs has none yet. If we can finish with 100+ points this year, can the voters finally give him the award? Doubtful considering the award always goes to a coach of a team not expected to do well.

SoupGuru

May 12, 2007
Spokane
Yep

Who cares what the coach makes. There is no coaching salary cap, so whatever.

Funny how he is viewed as the best coach in the game, yet guys like Bill Barber and Bobby Francis have Jack Adams awards, and Babs has none yet. If we can finish with 100+ points this year, can the voters finally give him the award? Doubtful considering the award always goes to a coach of a team not expected to do well.

In my opinion, Babcock is like Scorsese and the Oscars. Very clearly one of the best at what he does but always losing out to the newest hot hand.

dtones520

Jun 10, 2008
Midland, MI
Glad they finally sealed the deal. Stinks to lose Blashill, which is inevitable now, but when you have the best coach in the business you can't complain too much. Now, hopefully, Holland can make the right tweaks to improve the lineup and truly make us a no brainer contender, because we are damn close, if not already there.

Number1RedWingsFan52

Mar 17, 2013
Winter Haven Florida
Glad they finally sealed the deal. Stinks to lose Blashill, which is inevitable now, but when you have the best coach in the business you can't complain too much. Now, hopefully, Holland can make the right tweaks to improve the lineup and truly make us a no brainer contender, because we are damn close, if not already there.

Agreed we could still use a Top 4 RHD to quarterback the power play. Other then that we're looking mighty good right now we played a great game tonight but Reimer was a hot goalie it happens.

The Geelee

Jul 27, 2013
Guess that means Blashill is gone after his contract expires. Can't see him waiting around till Babs decides to move on which, with this extension is looking like 4+ years

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
Obviously a team that's clipping along like we all hoped they would has made a long deal for Babcock a much easier pill to swallow than over the summer.

Also take into account he's sticking with guys like Jurco in the top 6 rather than trying to jam Cleary into that spot this season. Our cries have been heard and the team is looking as good as it has in years.

When it comes to coaching, I'd love to hear what the leaders Datsyuk, Zetterberg, and Kronwall have to say. If I'm the GM, these are the guys I question to see what direction they feel the team should take. It stands to reason that they are favorable to Babcock, given everybody is still around and zero indication any of them would join another team, despite lackluster results for the last 4 years.

iDangleDangle

We Like Our Team
Jan 2, 2014
A bar
In my opinion, Babcock is like Scorsese and the Oscars. Very clearly one of the best at what he does but always losing out to the newest hot hand.

Pretty great analogy there!

After last season I was somewhat against giving Babs a long contract at the risk of losing Blashill. I was unsure if Babs would be able to trust the youngsters over washed up vets and give them enough leash to actually develope into winning pros. This seasons it seems he is, and after years of dump-and-chase hockey crap Wings are once again an entertaining team.

Still would prefer a 2-3 year deal, but if it takes a longer contract to keep Babs it would be risky on Holland's part to bargain. As intrigued as I'm by Blashill, letting Babs away now and promoting Blashill would be a leap of faith on many levels.

Last edited:

ap3x

Jan 31, 2014
Stockholm
Would be satisfied with him extending right now, so I consider that good news.

I am kind of a proponent of trading Smith, given this potential news. I don't think he will ever flourish under Babcock, but think he could elsewhere. Think it would be beneficial for both parties to try to attempt to land a trade. Probably has some decent trade value. Wonder if a Smith + Pulkkinen package could entice someone for a top 4 offensive defenseman.

Yeah, thought about the same. Would make sense actually. Not to say that Babs doesn't seem to see the same potential in Smith (to florish under him) than in Gus, Tats or Jurco e.g.

mindfly

Happy camper!
Jan 7, 2011
Bloomfield Hills, MI
I think Babcock's biggest sticking point was being behind the bench for a winner now, and also the next few years.

So I guess that tells us all we need to know about what Babcock thinks of the future of Nyquist, Tatar, Sheahan, Jurco, Mrazek, Dekeyser and co...
We should take this as one hell of a ringing endorsement for the young players.

I think it was to make sure he'd become the highest paid coach in the league, if you see yourself as the best you want the best money, too. And Babcock probably think he's the best.

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course
Good. I was ready for him to leave at times over the past few seasons thanks to Cleary and like situations, but I think the new wave of youth has given him some new fresh air so to speak and everyone's winning. Win another Cup.

this.

best news in a while imo.

i'll never agree with him on everything but of realistically available options, he's best and most 'safe'.

Mister Ed

Dec 21, 2008

I think that for a Smith + package, we could get Byfuglien/Bogosian out of Winnipeg. I think that would make for a more solid top 4.

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course
Byfuglien? No thanks. I'm on the fence about Bogosian, might be a guy that's right for Babs.

byfuglien has played 3 (i think) games on D this season. he was put there because of all the injuries on their D, before that he was on F.

i played extra attention on him and he was an absolute beast on two games i watched. he just rag dolled avs F's. i don't know if he would be able to maintain play like that long-term and i'm not sure how committed he is to play like that day-in day-out and he probably won't age too well but if the price is reasonable, i'd be in on him.

if he won't work on D, he can play on F too.

Last edited:

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
I think that for a Smith + package, we could get Byfuglien/Bogosian out of Winnipeg. I think that would make for a more solid top 4.

Yes and yes.

I think Babcock could mold Bogosian into a good player. Seems like a Babcock guy.

Byfuglien seems like a great guy to have come playoff time. Instantly makes us bigger, more physical, and takes away space out there. Plus he has proven he can put up 50+ pts like clockwork at the defenseman position, even if he's not playing there at the moment.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad