News Article: Babcock can't fix everything can he?

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
Every time he speaks of any particular player wether it be Rielly Gardiner or Phaneuf or Bozak he always insists he will have to make them better.

He is questioning wether Bozak is a first line center without Kessel and questioning Kadri's off ice character insisting that a coach also teaches players to be good people.

I think he is going to punish any of these players at every turn for spotty play if it is not eliminated from their game after it is recognized and discussed.

There could be some tense days ahead this year i suspect.

Comments i am curious about come from articles like this one.http://www.torontosun.com/2015/09/1...r-bozak-a-top-line-centre-without-phil-kessel then there is this article with Polak sending a message to his teammates.http://www.torontosun.com/2015/09/20/its-butt-kicking-time-for-leafs

Last edited:

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
The young prospects will not be able to develop in this environment that will be coming. I am sure this will be a veteran team now.

Banic

Jun 23, 2010
Toronto
The young prospects will not be able to develop in this environment that will be coming. I am sure this will be a veteran team now.

Babcock has said himself the NHL is NOT a developmental league. It seems like his perspective is if a player isn't ready they won't play.

Leafsman

I guess $11M doesn't buy you what it use to
May 22, 2008
Every time he speaks of any particular player wether it be Rielly Gardiner or Phaneuf or Bozak he always insists he will have to make them better.

He is questioning wether Bozak is a first line center without Kessel and questioning Kadri's off ice character insisting that a coach also teaches players to be good people.

I think he is going to punish any of these players at every turn for spotty play if it is not eliminated from their game after it is recognized and discussed.

Comments i am curious about come from articles like this one.http://www.torontosun.com/2015/09/1...r-bozak-a-top-line-centre-without-phil-kessel then there is this article with Polak sending a message to his teammates.http://www.torontosun.com/2015/09/20/its-butt-kicking-time-for-leafs

It's only natural for a new coach to question everything.

Lets be honest: Nobody was sure Bozak was a first line center WITH Kessel so it's understandable to question without him.

He also said he hasn't really watched any video from last year because there was no point. I can see that making him question everything even more.

Purity*

Jan 29, 2010
Babcock isn't going to stop us from being a bottom-5 team. You can count on that much.

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008

Anyone with half a brain should be able to see clearly now

why we shipped out fat fill as fast as possible

no one tells the kessel what to do, no one lays the law down on the collage frat boy

Boston learned that lesson and flushed him and thank gawd we did to.

Kessel and Babs would have been a nuker

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
He can't and people will realize that he's definitely not a miracle worker.

Kubus

Jun 22, 2014
Babcock can't turn a 3rd liner to a star player, he has no influence over skill. Things he does have influence over is the system the team plays which affects the GA 5on5, shots against, PP, and PK. Babcock can also help guide our young guy, teaching them instead of punishing.

The biggest question this team should have is scoring goals 5 on 5 as skill is needed for that. PP, PK, GA(outside of goalie sucking), SA are all things that are to some extent under Babcock's control/influence. My expectations are that we improve in those areas this season.

Swervin81

Leaf fan | YYZ -> SEA
Nov 10, 2011
Seattle, WA
He can't and people will realize that he's definitely not a miracle worker.

This. Hell, Detroit fans warned us that he can get rather impatient with young players (or fall in love with vets), and his statement about the NHL not being a developmental league seems to support that. We'll see if he can adapt because he's not gonna have a team overfilled with vets like this year after this year. Given how much he has been raved upon, I expect him to adapt to the situation. That said, as you said, he is not the second coming that will somehow will us and deliver us to the promised land and anyone expecting that is in for a really rude awakening. If we just merely expect him to be a very good coach that can not routinely get outcoached and put out baffling lineups and matchups while getting players to stick to an effective system, then you probably won't be disappointed.

613Leafer

May 26, 2008
He'll have an influence, but like others have said, he's not a miracle worker. The baseline talent on the NHL squad simply isnt very good.

I'm more interested in his long-term impact. He played a key role in developing Datsyuk, Zetterbeg, Kronwall, Nyquist, Tatar, etc into the players that they are, none of which were highly touted prospects when drafted.

What can he do with our own later round prospects like Brown, Johnson, Loov, etc. And more interestingly, what can he do with our highly touted young players like Rielly, Nylander, and Marner, who have higher potential than anyone Detroits been able to work with? We've yet to see Babs try and coach/develop legitimate A calibre prospects.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
People are certainly overrating his influence- especially in the short term. He's not going to be able to single handily lead a team who has finished bottom 5/10 the past two seasons over night.

Overall, he will certainly improve the team by bringing in well above average coaching systems, yet he can't give skill to a player who has none. He can't make a guy like Bozak into a legitimate first liner.

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
Well, if there is one thing Detroit/Babcock were really known for being terrible at, it was being incompetent at developing young players.

Yep...

Lou Lam likes to use the phrase preconcieved notions when speaking of this roster in terms of who has a chance of making the team. He insists there is no preconcieved notions.

The same day camp opened he pulled off the Grabner trade which cleared up a few contract spaces. If these spaces were acquired with intent to sign PTO's then there is preconcieved notions absolutely.

I believe there is a preconcieved notion toward development though. I also don't think that can be twisted to say prospects never had a chance of making the team.

I thought it was well understood that prospects will be developed until they take spots. I don't believe prospects are mentally prepared or expierenced enough to take the pressure of playing a flawlessly executed positional game consistently yet.

I read in this thtead there are warnings from wings fans that Babcock has limited patience with rookies. I would suggest he has impatience with inexperienced players making the same mistakes over and over.

I don't and wont believe Babcock avoids rookies on his roster. Babcock avoids underdeveloped prospects is more like it to be specific.

Kubus

Jun 22, 2014
One thing people need to remember how much Babcock improved both of the other two NHL teams the first season he coached them. The Ducks he took from 69 points to 95. The Ducks did struggle the following year. The wings he took from 109 to 124. Not that I expect an extra 15 points from the Leafs this year, but I expect them to be in the playoff race.

Last night we seen glimpses of a system coming together, even the PP looked more interesting. I also expect a few of our kids to develop nicely under Babcock, especially the ones that want to listen.

What I think Babcock means when he says there will be pain, is that it won't be a consistent upwards trajectory. They might do better this year, but stumble the next when they bring in more kids. Still this year, I'm expecting the team to be better then last season.

UllmansTiger

May 27, 2012
Pat Quinn and many others have said the same thing, the NHL is not a development league, it's not a new shiny statement or anything.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad