Babcock and Matthews tension?

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Why is Matthews upset with Babcock? If multiple sources are saying so.
One source was saying this and that was John Shannon. The same person who said Roberto Luongo was guaranteed to be traded to Toronto. You did not see Bob McKenzie, Pierre LeBrun or Darren Dreger pick up this story. Hell TSN's website or Sportscentre didn't bother to mention it. That right there proves it's a bunch of crap.

JaegerDice

The mark of my dignity shall scar thy DNA
Dec 26, 2014
For the record, since I've only really chimed in with Blackhawks stats thus far, as far as Matthews and Marner playing together, I don't think there's necessarily a right way and a wrong way that applies 100% of the time.

Balancing lines has its benefits and overloading a line has it's benefits, depending on factors like opponent, how the opponent is playing, how well your own key players are playing, how well your own depth is playing etc.

In the Blackhawks example, Q could afford to overload a top line for 4 or 5 games, because in both cases he had a 4th line (technically 3rd by TOI, but whatever, we're quirky) that he was confident matching up against whichever top6 line the Toews line wasn't taking on. In 2013 that was Frolik-Bolland-Kruger, in 2015 it was Desjardins-Kruger-Shaw. In either case, he didn't feel like putting his most potent weapons at the time on one line was leaving a soft underbelly exposed, cause he had another line he could throw out to hem top 6 competition in. If you don't have that, that changes things. And that's just one factor to consider. Defensive pairings are another ball of wax. Composition of their opponent was a big deal too, which is why the overloaded line didn't really work in the Tampa series.

I like Matthews as a player. I also think Babcock is a smart coach, who has handled double-threats in the past (Zetterberg and Datsyuk, nevermind Crosby and Toews on Team Canada... the former of which were the key guy on separate lines AND played together, the latter of which were always kept separate). I think they'll figure it out, cause I think both know how good the other is at their job.

Last edited:
Reactions: The Winter Soldier

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
One source was saying this and that was John Shannon. The same person who said Roberto Luongo was guaranteed to be traded to Toronto. You did not see Bob McKenzie, Pierre LeBrun or Darren Dreger pick up this story. Hell TSN's website or Sportscentre didn't bother to mention it. That right there proves it's a bunch of crap.

Kyper, Friedman, Shannon(cited 4 sources), and Hornby all reported it. You know this because you are active in this thread, and it was posted in this thread.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Kyper, Friedman, Shannon(cited 4 sources), and Hornby all reported it. You know this because you are active in this thread, and it was posted in this thread.
News flash other Sportsnet reporters back up a claim and one that's unproven from said Sportsnet reporter. Tell me if this is true why has no one from TSN bothered to even report about it?

biotk

Jan 3, 2017
Buffalo
5v5, Kane and Toews played together on the same line for 5 games in the 2013 playoffs. Games 4 and 5 of the WCF against the Kings, and games 4, 5 and 6 against the Boston Bruins.

Not true. In games 5, 6 and 7 against Detroit, after Chicago had fallen behind 3 games to 1, Kane was Toews most frequent linemate in those 3 games by far.

So that puts it up to 8 games that they played together regularly. The 8 most important games. 8 games in which Chicago won them all. (otherwise they were 8-7). Sure doesn't strengthen the argument that Kane and Toews won that cup by rarely playing with other.

Outside of that, they saw some time together late in games while trailing, never particularly frequently. The PP was a non-factor, it's been mediocre to bad for the Blackhawks since Q became coach, and was going at like 11% during that playoff run. Hardly the reason the team won.

Yeah, it wasn't a very good PP. Except it was when Toews was on the ice 6.43 goals/60 with Toews. 1.11 goals/60 without Toews.

In 2015, Kane and Toews played together on the same line for 4.5-5 games. Game 5 (the 2nd half, when they needed to push back after going down 3-0 early), 6 and 7 vs the Ducks, and games 1 and 2 against Tampa Bay. By game 3 of the SCF they were separated again.

So again - when it really counted. When they really needed to win - Kane and Toews played together. So....Kane and Toews rarely playing together is not what won Chicago their 3 Cups.

I'd recommend the corsica.hockey line combo tool over the naturalstattrick numbers. The former shows when players actually played together as a line. whereas the naturalstattrick numbers are for every single time any two players were together, even if it was a guy getting double shifted late, or what have you:

The GP colomn will show how many games they played together based on like a shift here or there, the TOI demonstrates how many minutes the played together as a legitimate line.

I know how Corsica works. Corsica has the exact same numbers as Natural Stat Trick, you might not think they do because you kept your minimum time for lines at 50 minutes, but they are far more difficult to compile.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
The same person who said Roberto Luongo was guaranteed to be traded to Toronto.

This is yet another misrepresentation. This is why I always fact check what you post. Wish you would stop repeating this just because you do not like Shannon's sources. I am pretty sure Shannon has good sources.

On Oct 2012 Shannon reported Luongo to Toronto was all but done pending a CBA resolution. The CBA was resolved in Jan 2013.

What he said was not incorrect because contract and salary retention was the reason the deal fell apart. Obviously the CBA and Cap was an issue for Nonis and Gillis.

Where even Luongo said. My contract su*ks

Last edited:

Lahey

Jul 15, 2009
Toronto
Kypreos and Shannon are both complete hackjobs. Friedman said nothing about tension, just purely speculative. You are so out to lunch it’s insane. Anything goes for you as long as it fits your anti-leaf narriative.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
This is yet another misrepresentation. This is why I always fact check what you post. Wish you would stop repeating this just because you do not like Shannon's sources. I am pretty sure Shannon has goofd sources.

On Oct 2012 Shannon reported Luongo to Toronto was all but done pending a CBA resolution. The CBA was resolved in Jan 2013.

What he said was not incorrect because contract and salary retention was the reason the deal fell apart. Obviously the CBA and Cap was an issue for Nonis and Gillis.

I don't why you are so obsessed with trying to prove that there is tension between Matthews and Babcock. Yes they had a meeting in Arizona no one is denying that. However there is no possible way for anyone to prove what was said that caused this so called tension without having been inside the room when they were talking.

So I will ask you again if all this is true why has no one from TSN even bothered to mention this?

Reactions: Lahey

Lahey

Jul 15, 2009
Toronto
I don't why you are so obsessed with trying to prove that there is tension between Matthews and Babcock. Yes they had a meeting in Arizona no one is denying that. However there is no possible way for anyone to prove what was said that caused this so called tension without having been inside the room when they were talking.

So I will ask you again if all this is true why has no one from TSN even bothered to mention this?
It’s only because it fits his anti-leaf views, you don’t hear him talk about the Leafs when they’re doing well.. only when something negative even such as baseless idiotic speculation appears.. so does he.

The Hanging Jowl

Apr 2, 2017
Just wanted to check in on this thread to see if there's anything to support the notion there's tension between AM and Babcock (nothing so far after 23 pages) and all I see is the same old tired routine of arguments about tangential topics that have nothing to do with the original topic. So glad I don't get caught up in that shit anymore.

These boards make it easy to ignore though: all you gotta do is scroll past regular posts looking for quotes or twitter feeds to weed out the crap and find the new information.

JaegerDice

Dec 26, 2014
In games 5, 6 and 7 against Detroit, after Chicago had fallen behind 3 games to 1, Kane was Toews most frequent linemate in those 3 games by far.

So that puts it up to 8 games that they played together regularly. The 8 most important games. 8 games in which Chicago won them all. (otherwise they were 8-7). Sure doesn't strengthen the argument that Kane and Toews won that cup by rarely playing with other.

Considering Kane was in a midst of a 7 game scoring slump so bad he and his dad watched video of himself from previous playoff rounds to remind himself he was still a good player, I'd say no, whatever Kane was doing during the period from mid-way through the DET series to Game 4 of the Kings series was NOT the driving force behind the Blackhawks winning games. (Pssssssst.... it was the reunification of Keith and Seabrook on D that turned that series. Tell your friends.)

Toews and Kane certainly got some shifts in together during the comeback in that series. Not as fixed linemates, mind you, but because Q started double-shifting Toews to get him some time away from the Zetterberg matchup, a change from the usual, where he double-shifts Kane to get more offense out of him late (but as I mentioned earlier, Kane was struggling at this point in 2013, so he wasn't getting much extra time for offense). Toews and Zetterberg would battle it out, Zetterberg would go off, Toews would be right back on. Again, this is why corsica.hockey is so much more useful. Instead of some misleading general aggregate, you get a sense of which lines he actually played on, and which are a collection of a shift here and a shift there, 6 minutes here with this combination, 2 minutes there with another.

Yeah, it wasn't a very good PP. Except it was when Toews was on the ice 6.43 goals/60 with Toews. 1.11 goals/60 without Toews.

And Kane? Or was he just an afterthought on this 11% potency power-play?

You're not going to get much arguement from me that Toews was an absolute MONSTER on this playoff run, and that he gets undo criticism based on an unluck sh%. I've been arguing that for years.

But if you're arguing that the impotent 2013 powerplay, and I include both units in that description, was in any way the difference or even a significant contributor to that cup win, you are absolutely out to lunch. They were bad on the PP. Thankfully, they were gods on the PK.

So again - when it really counted. When they really needed to win - Kane and Toews played together. So....Kane and Toews rarely playing together is not what won Chicago their 3 Cups.

Ive never argued that Kane & Toews together wasn't a nuclear option as far as generating offense. But it's kind of ludicrous to suggest that a combination that lasts roughly 5 games per playoff run is the key driving force of a cup win. :laugh:

The bulk of the Blackhawks success has come from their ability to put out Toews on one line to absorb the top matchup, win the goal differential battle, and thereby clear the road for Kane and his line - who almost exclusively see heavy ozone starts against weaker QoC - to strike at the soft underbelly. Combine that with a transition D that can torch other teams, and a bottom 6 that could handle the spill-over top-6 opposition, and you had the basis for their success through the cup years.

There's a reason the Kane+Toews combination is brought out in specific scenarios and doesn't last long. You overload your lineup like that in a playoff series, the other team has time to adapt, you're screwed. You just used your nuclear option, what's next? What's the next stage beyond your doomsday device? Now the opponent has taken your best shot, adapted, and you're well and truly ****ed. Thankfully the Blackhawks have never been foolish enough to try that and have kept them on separate lines where they're most effective.

I know how Corsica works. Corsica has the exact same numbers as Natural Stat Trick, you might not think they do because you kept your minimum time for lines at 50 minutes, but they are far more difficult to compile.

So basically you want me to drag the minimum TOI down so that we can count a couple minutes together here and one minute together there as if it's consequential. A line works together for more than a minute here or there thanks to a double shift late in a game or to escape a matchup. That's the difference between 'playing them together' and them happening to end up on the ice together thanks to circumstance.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Considering Kane was in a midst of a 7 game scoring slump so bad he and his dad watched video of himself from previous playoff rounds to remind himself he was still a good player, I'd say no, whatever Kane was doing during the period from mid-way through the DET series to Game 4 of the Kings series was NOT the driving force behind the Blackhawks winning games. (Pssssssst.... it was the reunification of Keith and Seabrook on D that turned that series. Tell your friends.)

Toews and Kane certainly got some shifts in together during the comeback in that series. Not as fixed linemates, mind you, but because Q started double-shifting Toews to get him some time away from the Zetterberg matchup, a change from the usual, where he double-shifts Kane to get more offense out of him late (but as I mentioned earlier, Kane was struggling at this point in 2013, so he wasn't getting much extra time for offense). Toews and Zetterberg would battle it out, Zetterberg would go off, Toews would be right back on. Again, this is why corsica.hockey is so much more useful. Instead of some misleading general aggregate, you get a sense of which lines he actually played on, and which are a collection of a shift here and a shift there, 6 minutes here with this combination, 2 minutes there with another.

You're not going to get much arguement from me that Toews was an absolute MONSTER on this playoff run, and that he gets undo criticism based on an unluck sh%. I've been arguing that for years.

But if you're arguing that the impotent 2013 powerplay, and I include both units in that description, was in any way the difference or even a significant contributor to that cup win, you are absolutely out to lunch. They were bad on the PP. Thankfully, they were gods on the PK.

Ive never argued that Kane & Toews together wasn't a nuclear option as far as generating offense. But it's kind of ludicrous to suggest that a combination that lasts roughly 5 games per playoff run is the key driving force of a cup win. :laugh:

The bulk of the Blackhawks success has come from their ability to put out Toews on one line to absorb the top matchup, win the goal differential battle, and thereby clear the road for Kane and his line - who almost exclusively see heavy ozone starts against weaker QoC - to strike at the soft underbelly. Combine that with a transition D that can torch other teams, and a bottom 6 that could handle the spill-over top-6 opposition, and you had the basis for their success through the cup years.

There's a reason the Kane+Toews combination is brought out in specific scenarios and doesn't last long. You overload your lineup like that in a playoff series, the other team has time to adapt, you're screwed. You just used your nuclear option, what's next? What's the next stage beyond your doomsday device? Now the opponent has taken your best shot, adapted, and you're well and truly ****ed. Thankfully the Blackhawks have never been foolish enough to try that and have kept them on separate lines where they're most effective.

So basically you want me to drag the minimum TOI down so that we can count a couple minutes together here and one minute together there as if it's consequential. A line works together for more than a minute here or there thanks to a double shift late in a game or to escape a matchup. That's the difference between 'playing them together' and them happening to end up on the ice together thanks to circumstance.

Brilliant post. You certainly know the Hawks with your recollection that Kane was in a 7 game scoring slump. If there is one take away from this, it is Q's coaching was always one of balance. And a major par of this was to keep Kane and Toews apart so the Hawks had more balance. Which coincidentally is Babcock's and Q's coaching style.

This is and was always the point and not the poster you are responding to's blanket assertion that Kane and Toews played a lot togther. Which is simply not correct.

JaegerDice

Dec 26, 2014
Brilliant post. You certainly know the Hawks with your recollection that Kane was in a 7 game scoring slump. If there is one take away from this, it is Q's coaching was always one of balance. And a major par of this was to keep Kane and Toews apart so the Hawks had more balance. Which coincidentally is Babcock's and Q's coaching style.

This is and was always the point and not the poster you are responding to's blanket assertion that Kane and Toews played a lot togther. Which is simply not correct.

Pretty much. People need to realize that ever since 2013 Kane and Toews play together when the **** hits the fan, not when things are going according to plan. The two of them together are the nuclear option. The last ditch effort to pull their ass out of a sling. Playing together is never plan A.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Pretty much. People need to realize that ever since 2013 Kane and Toews play together when the **** hits the fan, not when things are going according to plan. The two of them together are the nuclear option. The last ditch effort to pull their ass out of a sling. Playing together is never plan A.

This is a very good analogy, I too recall when The Hawks really needed a goal, the nuclear option was open. Then Q would try them together. But this was only a last ditch resort the vast majority of times.

LeafChief

Matthew Knies Enthusiast
Mar 5, 2013
Scarborough
This is yet another misrepresentation. This is why I always fact check what you post. Wish you would stop repeating this just because you do not like Shannon's sources. I am pretty sure Shannon has good sources.

Remember when you said the Leafs would be docked a 1st round pick for Lupul failing his physical?

Are you going to fact check that?

LeafChief

Matthew Knies Enthusiast
Mar 5, 2013
Scarborough
John Shannon lmao. That's what he's based 100 posts in this thread on.

He's already hedging his bets by posting in other threads saying the Leafs are going to overpay for Matthews on a long term contract.

He's dedicated his life to this. If he used this energy wisely he'd have a PhD.

Reactions: LeafsNation75

biotk

Jan 3, 2017
Buffalo

Where this whole thing is coming from is TWS' belief that Matthews is pissed off at Babcock because Babcock refuses to play Matthews with Marner together (there is no evidence to support this claim. Maybe he is. Maybe he isn't. But assuming that Matthews is frustrated with Babcock, there has been no indication as to why that is, and the only link to ice time with Marner comes from a reporter asking him if he would like to play more with Marner, Matthews responding that he would. I mean what answer do people expect? No, I don't want to play with that particular teammate. Come on). TWS follows that up by saying that Babcock is trying make Matthews emulate Toews and that Toews and his team won 3 Cups with Kane and Toews rarely playing together so Matthews should just shut the f*** up (again assuming that Matthews' issue - if an issue even exists - is the issue that TWS thinks it is).The difference between how much Matthews plays with Marner - close to never at ES or on the PP at any time during the two seasons - is nothing like the amount that Kane and Toews played together during their Cups runs - which was almost always on the first cup, frequently on the second cup, and while significantly diminished, still a shit load more than Matthews and Marner ever do, on the third run. TWS denies this, because it doesn't fit his agenda.

Babcock likes to talk how well things went splitting up Dats and Zetterberg, even though the only Cup Babcock has ever won occurred when Dats and Zetterberg were essentially stapled together both at ES and on PP. Since they were split up Babcock has never won anything.

Everyone knows that Kane and Toews spent a lot of time apart after their early years, but their coach had the brains to put them back together when he felt it needed to be done. You can argue that Kane and Toews being put together for all of the big games didn't contribute much because of this and that, but that is not the argument. When the Hawks were down 3-1 against the Wings, they put the two together to pull out all the stops. When the Leafs were getting slaughtered by the Bruins in the playoffs because, shocker of all shockers, Boston figured out how to dismantle the most predictable team in the NHL, a team which had essentially changed nothing in two full seasons, Babs essentially changed nothing. The best he would do is send Nylander to the fourth line and put Matthews between Brown and Hyman. Worked out real well. Good coaches recognize when to put your top guys together. Good coaches recognize when things have gone stale and change things. Good coaches recognize when you are being slaughtered and change things up. Babs won't, and hasn't changed almost anything in 2 years.

Toews and Kane certainly got some shifts in together during the comeback in that series. Not as fixed linemates, mind you, but because Q started double-shifting Toews to get him some time away from the Zetterberg matchup

This is simply not true and I don't understand why you think you can get away with saying that. For games 5, 6 and 7 against the Wings Toews played more than 89% of his 5v5 minutes with Kane. Facing elimination in game 5 Toews was on the ice without Kane for a whole 39 seconds 5v5. This was not a case of "getting some shifts together" 89% together over a 3 game period is about as high a percentage as players ever get (except for Matthews and Hyman)

a change from the usual, where he double-shifts Kane to get more offense out of him late (but as I mentioned earlier, Kane was struggling at this point in 2013, so he wasn't getting much extra time for offense).

Kane had 8 points in his 8 playoff games before being put with Toews for game 5 against Detroit. He had scored goals in his two previous games. Kane played the most 5v5 minutes among forwards for game 5 and 7, and the 3rd most minutes for game 6 (seconds behind Toews and Sharp).

Toews and Zetterberg would battle it out, Zetterberg would go off, Toews would be right back on. Again, this is why corsica.hockey is so much more useful. Instead of some misleading general aggregate, you get a sense of which lines he actually played on, and which are a collection of a shift here and a shift there, 6 minutes here with this combination, 2 minutes there with another.

Well so far between your recollections and Corsica, let's just say I am not impressed.

I don't really care about the intricacies of their PP that year. The point was that Kane and Toews were together on the PP most of the time throughout their 3 runs. Matthews and Marner are never together. Oh, and while The Hawks PP made no difference what-so-ever on that playoff run. None, nadda. The two PP goals in the second period was the reason the Hawks were not eliminated in game 5 against the Wings....so I guess it made some difference.

5 games per playoff run? They played together for 22 games during their first run. 8 games for their second run despite your false claim about how much they played together during games 5, 6 and 7 against Detroit, and 5 games for their last run.

They were 8-0 when playing on the same line together in 2013 and 8-7 when not.

No, it is not a minute here or there. It is you missing complete games where they played together 85%+ of their 5v5 time because you are sloppy. As to the rest of your bla, bla, yeah, teams split up good players. You don't have to explain why because everyone knows why. But when things are not going well, when they are behind in a game, or when they need to win the Hawks put Kane and Toews together. 8 games together (despite your claims) at the end of their 2nd, 3rd and finals series in 2013 because they needed to win and they went 8-0 with them together. Back together in 2015 when they needed to win at the end of 3rd series and to start the finals.

That doesn't happen with the Leafs, and is a reason why they are extremely unlikely to win a Cup as long as Babcock is there (as I said he has not won a thing since he adopted his current views, which he holds rigidly), and is a reason why if Matthews is not pissed at Babcock because Babcock won't play Matthews and Marner together he should be. And while TWS thinks Matthews should just shut the f up and mindlessly follow Babcock, he shouldn't. If Matthews wants to win he should make his views known, and if the Leafs can't or won't change things then his goal should shift towards getting somewhere else as soon as possible.

Reactions: Tracer Bullet

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
John Shannon lmao. That's what he's based 100 posts in this thread on.

He's already hedging his bets by posting in other threads saying the Leafs are going to overpay for Matthews on a long term contract.

He's dedicated his life to this. If he used this energy wisely he'd have a PhD.
In the end he would have taken the word of anyone who reported this just to make the Leafs, Matthews and Babcock look bad. I'm happy it was Shannon who reported this since he's proven to be unreliable when it comes to Leafs rumors. I will also say again since no one from TSN has not even mentioned this story at all, that proves it's complete crap.

GodEmperor

Oct 12, 2017
Babcock played Matthews, Marner and Nylander 17.5, 16 and 17 minutes in the playoffs.

Boston's big 3: 19, 20.5, 20.5
Stamkos Kucherov Point: 18, 19, 18
Kuz, Ovie, Backs: 21, 20.5, 21
Malkin, Kessel, Crosby: 19, 18, 20
Hall, Palmieri, Hischer: 21, 18, 16.5
Forsberg, Arvidsson, Johanssen: 18, 19, 18
Wheeler, Scheifle, Laine: 20, 21, 18
Koivu, Granlund, Staal: 18, 18.5, 18.5
Smith, Karlsson, Marchy: 20, 22, 19
Couture, Pavelski, Hertl: 20, 21, 20

Is the Leafs trio 10%+ worse than the other trios or maybe Babcock just has extremely poor usage of his players, see grinding old man Hainsey into the dust on our PK on the season and yet refusing to give big minutes to our best guys in the playoffs.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
That doesn't happen with the Leafs, and is a reason why they are extremely unlikely to win a Cup as long as Babcock is there (as I said he has not won a thing since he adopted his current views, which he holds rigidly), and is a reason why if Matthews is not pissed at Babcock because Babcock won't play Matthews and Marner together he should be. And while TWS thinks Matthews should just shut the f up and mindlessly follow Babcock, he shouldn't. If Matthews wants to win he should make his views known, and if the Leafs can't or won't change things then his goal should shift towards getting somewhere else as soon as possible.

A very long winded post. So I will just ask 2 questions.

1. Did or did not Matthews lead Leafs fwds in average ice time in the regular season and playoffs or not?

2. Why is Matthews lobbying to change the #2 PP in the NHL in back to back years, which on aggregate is the best PP 2 over a 2 year span that is working for the team where he did score 13 PPG last year. Isn't this selfish thinking on his part?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad