Proposal: B. Tkachuk for Kyrou.

Bileur

Jun 15, 2004
Ottawa
You’re comparing a goal scorer to a playmaker and using goals as the determining factor as to who is better….

Brady career:
0.78p/g
Jack Hughes career:
0.91 p/g

Do you consider Hughes to just be 0.13 p/game played better offensively than Tkachuck or is using career PPG pretty useless when talking about who they are today?

Brady outscored him last season. He outscored him in 4 of the 6 seasons they’ve both been in the league.

Thomas is a good offensive player. So is Brady.

Suggesting one produces more offensive output than the other, as if it’s a regular thing as opposed to the results of the current season, is just plain false.

Maybe this is Thomas’ breakout and we can expect this production to continue, maybe not. I guess we’ll see, but their offensive output is pretty much a wash over their careers.

Reactions: Golden_Jet

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
Brady outscored him last season. He outscored him in 4 of the 6 seasons they’ve both been in the league.

Thomas is a good offensive player. So is Brady.

Suggesting one produces more offensive output than the other, as if it’s a regular thing as opposed to the results of the current season, is just plain false.

Maybe this is Thomas’ breakout and we can expect this production to continue, maybe not. I guess we’ll see, but their offensive output is pretty much a wash over their careers.
When one plays a strong defensive game and the other doesn’t while also playing on a team that doesn’t know how to play defensively, no they’re not the same level of offensive player.

Their overall value is somewhat close depending how much you value physical play (ignoring those players almost always fall off a cliff early), but the idea it would take Thomas + Kyrou +1st for Tkachuck is one of the more laughable suggestions I’ve ever seen.

Petes2424

Aug 4, 2005
Think it’s fair to say what side hockey people, and what side the stat watchers, have taken in this conversation.

The game is so much more than just blanket statistics.

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009
There’s no reason for Ottawa to take lesser pieces (Kyrou and a small add), for their captain, does it all forward. It doesn’t matter if he’s a winger.
Again some people don’t understand hockey

skilles

Jun 23, 2012
This reminds me of the thread where Blues fans were saying they wouldn't trade Kyrou for Matthew Tkachuk because he was going to sign there anyway in a year. It's good to see not much has changed with these folks. Only a complete moron wouldn't trade Kyrou for Brady. That trade would never in a million years be on the table in the first place.
When that was being said Kyrou was 24 years old coming off a 37 goal season, I didn't agree with them but I wouldn't say that was crazy.

The truth is Kyrou and a reasonable + probably could have gotten MT

KevinRedkey

12/18/23 and beyond!
Jan 22, 2010
You are severely underrating Robert Thomas.

Thomas is great, but he's just not a great fit for Ottawa - especially if the price is their captain.

A more extreme example would be a team with a great goalie saying they wouldn't pay what Saros/Markstrom is worth. It's just a bad fit.

skilles

Jun 23, 2012
I'm not a Sens fan. He brought back a player who put up 115 points. A top pairing defenseman, prospect and 1st round pick. That's certainly double Thomas value.
Not even close, those players had 1 year left on their contracts. The right to over pay a UFA is not a valuable asset, that can be done for free.

Reactions: nbwingsfan

EastVillageBlues

Feb 18, 2019
Thomas is great, but he's just not a great fit for Ottawa - especially if the price is their captain.

A more extreme example would be a team with a great goalie saying they wouldn't pay what Saros/Markstrom is worth. It's just a bad fit.

We would never move Thomas for Tkachuk anyways, just not enough value there, even if you offered. So that's just a moot point.

• Haha
Reactions: SpezDispenser

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
When that was being said Kyrou was 24 years old coming off a 37 goal season, I didn't agree with them but I wouldn't say that was crazy.

The truth is Kyrou and a reasonable + probably could have gotten MT
I mean, what's a reasonable +?

Tkachuk did return a 28 year old coming off an 115 point season, a 27 year old top pairing D man, and a 1st round pick

Reactions: Bileur

Bileur

Jun 15, 2004
Ottawa
When one plays a strong defensive game and the other doesn’t while also playing on a team that doesn’t know how to play defensively, no they’re not the same level of offensive player.

Their overall value is somewhat close depending how much you value physical play (ignoring those players almost always fall off a cliff early), but the idea it would take Thomas + Kyrou +1st for Tkachuck is one of the more laughable suggestions I’ve ever seen.

Now you’re moving the goalposts.

You specifically said output. Not difficulty of offensive production when offset by defensive contributions. Thomas has a clear advantage in defensive play. Tkachuk has other clear advantages.

I’m glad you mention physical play because there is quite a gulf between them.

For instance, Brady has at least 174 hits in each season he has played in the league. That’s more than double Robert Thomas’ career total of 73.

Brady is also pretty much the team enforcer with ~30 fights while also being counted on to lead the offense.

I haven’t seen the Thomas - Kyrou - 1st comment. If someone said that I’d guess it was a joke?

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
Now you’re moving the goalposts.

You specifically said output. Not difficulty of offensive production when offset by defensive contributions.

I’m glad you mention physical play because there is quite a gulf between them.

For instance, Brady has at least 174 hits in each season he has played in the league. That’s more than double Robert Thomas’ career total of 73.

Brady is also pretty much the team enforcer with ~30 fights while also being counted on to lead the offense.

I haven’t seen the Thomas - Kyrou - 1st comment. If someone said that I’d guess it was a joke?
Leading the offense? That’s not a great sign when he’s a ~70-80pt player.

Fighting is getting to the point of useless in todays neutered NHL.

And unfortunately no, it wasn’t a joke.

Then why quote the other guy, and mention trade
Because the original points were that Thomas alone is at worst equal value to Tkachuck.

Not Thomas + a 70pt pt guy plus a 1st (and then also adding a cap dump and getting the better goalie).

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
Not even close, those players had 1 year left on their contracts. The right to over pay a UFA is not a valuable asset, that can be done for free.
That’s all Matthew had left as well.

Can probably close thread, since Brady isn’t moving.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
We're at the phase in a trade thread where the other team would be lucky to get the player that they don't want.

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
Leading the offense? That’s not a great sign when he’s a ~70-80pt player.

Fighting is getting to the point of useless in todays neutered NHL.

And unfortunately no, it wasn’t a joke.

Because the original points were that Thomas alone is at worst equal value to Tkachuck.

Not Thomas + a 70pt pt guy plus a 1st (and then also adding a cap dump and getting the better goalie).
Then quote the poster that made the trade proposal , not another rando poster that never suggested that trade lol.

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
I guess you’d know all about that depending on Larkin to lead your offense.

Tell that to the MSG fans chanting Rempe’s name last night.
Ah yes, we all know fighting and fan chanting is so incredibly important in the playoffs.

And yeah Larkin is leading the Wings all the way to being a borderline playoff team. It’s not a very big feat.
That’s also ignoring Tkachuck is 3rd on the team in scoring…

Also I’m not claiming Larkin is worth Thomas, Kyrou and a 1st like a certain Sens fan am I? He’s not even worth Thomas alone.

• Haha
Reactions: Golden_Jet

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad