Proposal: B. Tanev to FLA

CapnZin

Jul 20, 2017
Sweden
Probably 3 years 2.75-3.25 mil.

Just depends if he can keep up his play from this year with WPG.

kittiecarlyle

Nov 1, 2016
He’s not scoring 14 goals ever again but any team is welcome to pay for that hypothetical level of production.
Let me go out on a limb, you were one of the posters that believed Tanev wasn't an NHL player wen he initially came to the Jets too.
If you don't think he is a valuable and legitimate NHL player that can produce and provide positives in multiple ways well that is an indication of your hockey insight or lack thereof.

AKAChip

Nov 19, 2013
Winnipeg
Let me go out on a limb, you were one of the posters that believed Tanev wasn't an NHL player wen he initially came to the Jets too.
If you don't think he is a valuable and legitimate NHL player that can produce and provide positives in multiple ways well that is an indication of your hockey insight or lack thereof.
I didn’t and I’ve eaten crow on that. He’s absolutely, without a doubt an NHL player. Now, he’s a largely replaceable one and certainly he’s ideally a fourth liner but he can play in this league. I’ve been impressed with his play in recent months but saying he’s a bottom line player isn’t an insult. Overrating and overpaying players like him after a career season at age 27 is how you overspend and ultimately make your team weaker in the long run.

Reactions: DJBiffWPG

kittiecarlyle

Nov 1, 2016
I didn’t and I’ve eaten crow on that. He’s absolutely, without a doubt an NHL player. Now, he’s a largely replaceable one and certainly he’s ideally a fourth liner but he can play in this league. I’ve been impressed with his play in recent months but saying he’s a bottom line player isn’t an insult. Overrating and overpaying players like him after a career season at age 27 is how you overspend and ultimately make your team weaker in the long run.
You don't have to overpay, you pay what he is worth.

Tanev is trending up in his game and production but that isn't the core or key part of what he provides.

He is a very good penalty killer, provides tremendous energy and hits and physicality. Among the best forecheckers in the league, add those elements to enough production and you have a very valuable player that fits his role. Thinking he can't or won't match his offensive output in the future is as myopic as thnking he was not a true NHL player.

AKAChip

Nov 19, 2013
Winnipeg
You don't have to overpay, you pay what he is worth.

Tanev is trending up in his game and production but that isn't the core or key part of what he provides.

He is a very good penalty killer, provides tremendous energy and hits and physicality. Among the best forecheckers in the league, add those elements to enough production and you have a very valuable player that fits his role. Thinking he can't or won't match his offensive output in the future is as myopic as thnking he was not a true NHL player.
I don’t think it was unreasonable to believe that a UDFA with middling college numbers who had 4 points in his rookie season as a 25 year old would not be an NHL player but if you think that is myopic, you do you.

“Worth” is a very complicated concept when a player’s worth is measured through more than just scoring. While his offensive production has trended upwards in his three NHL seasons, there’s no doubt a cap to what he’s capable offensively. It would be shocking if he ever matched 29 points ever again as his offence is mainly predicated on the forecheck causing a turnover and gaining possession in high danger areas when the goalie isn’t expecting it. He has a well below average shot, though he will get a good number of breakaways due to his speed. He can penalty kill fine and has been good at suppressing chances against, though mostly only when he’s out with both Lowry and Copp as even losing one of those guys off his line generally make his shot suppression numbers take a nosedive.

I’m not making grand or ridiculous statements. You value more intangible things than I do and that’s fine but to make the argument that signing him to a 2.5 million or more per year deal is anything other than chasing a career season is something I can’t buy.

DJBiffWPG

May 30, 2018

You speak the words in my brain.

Reactions: AKAChip

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad