Prospect Info: B. Schenn Versus S. Couturier

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
Who will have the more effective NHL career? I mean overall, not just points. When it's all said and done, which will be the better pro?

Thanks.

EDIT: Oh, and I'm going to vote "even" just so I don't have to click for results. :)

Redpath

Sep 30, 2011
Couturier is the safe pick, but if Schenn reaches his max potential...watch out. Just looking back on Schenn taking over Game 1 against the Penguins, wow. He was unstoppable.

RJ8812*

I think Schenn has a higher ceiling, but I think Couturier has a better chance of reaching his potential

sobrien

RAFFLCOPTER
Jul 19, 2009
South Jersey
Couturier is the safe pick, but if Schenn reaches his max potential...watch out. Just looking back on Schenn taking over Game 1 against the Penguins, wow. He was unstoppable.

Completely agree. Couturier has the defensive edge, Schenn the physical edge. Both have crazy high ceilings though.

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
I think Couturier will have a greater impact just because of his two-way game, but I think Schenn will be the better offensive player.

flyersfan187

Dec 4, 2007
Morrisdale, PA
I am excited to see what Schenn/Schenn will do on the same team. Hopefully they will feed off of each other and play top notch physical play. If Schenn can be a Richards type player for us then I will be happy.

Couts shut down one of the best players in the league and if his offensive game will improve each season he will become one of the better forwards in the league. That is a big if though. I see Couts being more like Jordan or even Eric Staal. Which isn't a bad thing one bit, because those are the type of players that can bring you the Stanley Cup.

With that being said the Flyers have one great set of centers on this team for now and into the future.

Cyborg LeClair

Thank You Mr. Snider
Nov 18, 2011
Jurassic Park
I echo that I can't wait to see the Schenn Brothers in action! I remember some of Brayden's best games were against the Maple Leafs. Maybe it was the comfortability of playing with his brother on the same ice. I think they'll really help each other to reach their potential. Brayden is probably going to be a great scorer in this league and I can't wait for the Flyers to reap the benefits.

Couturier on the other hand is so impressive to me and I have insanely high expectations of what he'll turn out to be. He's definitely going to be an essential player if this team ever wins a cup in the future.

dookie88

Aug 18, 2008
Germany
Schenn might have more raw talent than Mike Richards. He's a better skater and bigger. His shot is right on paar with Richards, at least his wrister. Richards obviously has a tremendous hockey iq, which I don't see in Schenn in the NHL level, yet. I believe Schenn could get into that 65-70point category while terrorising the opposition physically and play in all-situations. But right now I don't see the shutdown capabilities on ES.
He wasn't ranked the best prospect in hockey for nothing.

While Couturier doesn't at all shy away from the physical play, I don't look at him as a seek-and-destroy type of player, like Schenn. But when he gets the chance he's shown some nice hits already. This part of his game really gets underrated. We all know about his defensive prowes and he will be the best defensive forward on this team as long as he's here. His offensive projection for me are also 65-70points as he's a mix of Eric and Jordan Staal for me. Can't wait to see him more on our PP.

duffy9748

Nov 26, 2007
Schenn might have more raw talent than Mike Richards. He's a better skater and bigger. His shot is right on paar with Richards, at least his wrister. Richards obviously has a tremendous hockey iq, which I don't see in Schenn in the NHL level, yet. I believe Schenn could get into that 65-70point category while terrorising the opposition physically and play in all-situations. But right now I don't see the shutdown capabilities on ES.
He wasn't ranked the best prospect in hockey for nothing.

While Couturier doesn't at all shy away from the physical play, I don't look at him as a seek-and-destroy type of player, like Schenn. But when he gets the chance he's shown some nice hits already. This part of his game really gets underrated. We all know about his defensive prowes and he will be the best defensive forward on this team as long as he's here. His offensive projection for me are also 65-70points as he's a mix of Eric and Jordan Staal for me. Can't wait to see him more on our PP.

I'd personally like to see him run the point. It seems like has been doing that for the Phantoms whenever they have a PP. Although Voracek did a great job there last season, he doesn't really have a shot to score from there. Couturier sees the ice well and is responsible enough defensively to be trusted there.

dookie88

Aug 18, 2008
Germany
I'd personally like to see him run the point. It seems like has been doing that for the Phantoms whenever they have a PP. Although Voracek did a great job there last season, he doesn't really have a shot to score from there. Couturier sees the ice well and is responsible enough defensively to be trusted there.

Problem is his skating, though. He's not going to catch any break aways. Voracek on the other hand can fly.

flyersfan187

Dec 4, 2007
Morrisdale, PA
I echo that I can't wait to see the Schenn Brothers in action! I remember some of Brayden's best games were against the Maple Leafs. Maybe it was the comfortability of playing with his brother on the same ice. I think they'll really help each other to reach their potential. Brayden is probably going to be a great scorer in this league and I can't wait for the Flyers to reap the benefits.

Couturier on the other hand is so impressive to me and I have insanely high expectations of what he'll turn out to be. He's definitely going to be an essential player if this team ever wins a cup in the future.

I personally love the Penguin game where Schenn took out two guys right in a row. The guy really knows how to throw hits. Now he just needs to learn where to pick his spots for fights!! :sarcasm: Kovy is a superstar but the guy is one big dude that can throw them.

flyersfan187

Dec 4, 2007
Morrisdale, PA
Problem is his skating, though. He's not going to catch any break aways. Voracek on the other hand can fly.

Yeah, Voracek should stay on the point unless we bring in better offensive d's.

You have to wait for Couts offensive game to come around. I am content with keeping him off the power play and only playing him short handed and against the other teams top line for the time being. You don't want to give him too many minutes in this system because it is fast paced and will burn your players out if they play too many minutes.

dookie88

Aug 18, 2008
Germany
Giroux, Hartnell, Voracek, Read, Briere, Simmonds, Schenn, Couturier.
That's 7 forwards. One of Read or Voracek will almost definitely play the point. That leaves six forwards for as many spots on the PP. Both Schenn and Couturier more or less have to play on the PP next season, and both better excel because if you look at this group and it's not that impressive.

CootaRoo

Oct 18, 2012
Very surprised that Cooter is winning in a landslide.

FWIW I picked dead even. In a vacuum I expect more points from Schenn, but more tough minutes logged by Cooter.

BrimFullofAsham45

Dec 22, 2002
Couturier.

Even if Schenn does reach his full potential, I kind of expect him to have troubles of inconsistency

tuckrr

Nov 28, 2008
Cooter AINEC...
I really think he can be a special player, imo the only guy who will challenge giroux for best player on the team.

Schenn is no slouch though.

CootaRoo

Oct 18, 2012
Cooter AINEC...

So, if I may ask, what do you expect 3 years from now from both?

I anticipate getting flamed for not drinking the Kool-Aid and predicting multiple Hart trophies apiece for both, but realistically I see:

70-75 points from Schenn with a stronger hitting/agitating game

60-65 points from Cooter with a stronger defensive game

Basically exactly what we got from Carter and Richards - minus the hitting from Carter, obviously.

Broad Street Elite

Nov 9, 2011
Basically exactly what we got from Carter and Richards - minus the hitting from Carter, obviously.

I actually think your sentiment is reasonable, although I'm not sure that Carter and Couturier's game will be all that comparable in the long run. Couturier is likely never to score 40 goals, but could be a better set-up man. Carter's defense is underrated imo, but at 18, Couturier is probably already better in that area.

With Schenn and Couturier, we basically hit the reset button. If the pair develop into something like Carter/Richards, while adding Simmonds, Voracek, Cousins and Grossmann, then we are set-up well.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad