Prospect Info: B. Schenn Versus S. Couturier

BobbyClarkeFan16

Nov 29, 2005
Goderich, Ontario
Cooter AINEC...
I really think he can be a special player, imo the only guy who will challenge giroux for best player on the team.

Schenn is no slouch though.

Gotta agree with tuckrr here. Couturier was placed in probably one of the most difficult roles that you can ask a 19 year old to do - be the defensive conscience of the team and be the shut down center. Not only did Couturier embrace that role, he thrived. He also showed that he has very elite offensive skills and that he's capable of doing so much more. Let's also not forget that from a maturity stand point, Schenn is further along physically in his maturity than Couturier is and Couturier still outperformed Schenn, especially when you consider that Couturier was essentially given less than stellar line mates in Rinaldo and Talbot while Schenn often got to play on a line with Briere and Simmonds. Talbot had a career year and that was in large part due to Couturier.

Don't get me wrong, I don't think Schenn is a terrible player. I think his versatility (being able to play both the wing and center) is going to be very valued by the club and he's going to be a very valuable goal scorer. Honestly, Schenn reminds me very much of a young Rod Brind'Amour in the way he's all hustle out there and how he just wills himself to win and do whatever it takes to win. At the same time, Couturier just has "it" when it comes to hockey sense and a feel for the game and that's something you can't teach. I've said it before with regards to comparisons and Couturier really has a Ron Francis type game. It's kind of scary to think how this team is going to look once Schenn and Couturier really hit their stride.

duffy9748

Nov 26, 2007
Richards and Carter vs. Schenn and Coutrier...Who ya taking?

I'm a big Richards fan like many around here but I could see Schenn out producing him offensively. He won't be as good defensively but I could see him playing the same type of role Richards did. Great all around player who can throw devastating hits. I'm very excited to see how Schenn develops, especially with Luke here now.

Carter was a 35-40 goal scorer and was also reliable defensively. He was both overrated and underrated during his time here. Five years from now though, we won't even remotely care about him. Couturier will be a much bigger impact player and will thrive in the playoffs, where Carter didn't.

Comparing their draft years, Schenn and Couturier both seemed to have a higher potential.

Ten years from now, this is how I believe we will rank these four:

Couturier
Schenn/Richards
Carter

It is too hard to predict whether or not Schenn will ever develop to be as good of a player as Richards.

tuckrr

Nov 28, 2008
So, if I may ask, what do you expect 3 years from now from both?

I anticipate getting flamed for not drinking the Kool-Aid and predicting multiple Hart trophies apiece for both, but realistically I see:

70-75 points from Schenn with a stronger hitting/agitating game

60-65 points from Cooter with a stronger defensive game

Basically exactly what we got from Carter and Richards - minus the hitting from Carter, obviously.

thats a pretty humble expectation IMO. When you look at cooter's junior & AHL stats, he reminds me of E. Staal & Kopitar.

If you look at E. Staal he came out of the AHL (locked out) and posted 45g -- I would say that's cooter's offensive ceiling in the next three years.

(I would also say, cooter has done more at his age than E. Staal did)

The worst case scenario is he pots 25

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
I went with Schenn. Not a knock on Couturier, but I see him being a more defense-first with good offense whereas I see Schenn being a more offense-first guy with good defense.

MichaelRaffl

Aug 13, 2009
Vilnius
people have been commenting on Couturier being younger but he is only a year younger, food for thought. Personally I don't think you can compare them, two totally different players, love em both.

CootaRoo

Oct 18, 2012
thats a pretty humble expectation IMO.

Humble. Realistic. Tom-A-to. Tom-ah-to.

65 points would have been good for the 14th best center total in the league last year... coupled with elite defense at ES and on the PK and that would make him one of the, probably top 5, most valuable total package centers in the league.

You're all free to count hypothetical Hart trophies for both, though... who am I to rain on the parade?

flyersjim73

Nov 19, 2011
Philly
Couturier, by a lot. In 3-4 years this kid is going to be as good, possibly better than Giroux. Schenn is a solid 2nd line center and will stay that way. Coots will improve, and improve a lot, simply because he is already one of the smartest players in the NHL, and he's only 19 (20 now?). Besides just plain improving, he'll fill out enough to be more effective in the corners.

Schenn will be fine, Couturier is going to be a superstar, mark it down...

MacDonald4MVP

May 7, 2016
Couturier, by a lot. In 3-4 years this kid is going to be as good, possibly better than Giroux. Schenn is a solid 2nd line center and will stay that way. Coots will improve, and improve a lot, simply because he is already one of the smartest players in the NHL, and he's only 19 (20 now?). Besides just plain improving, he'll fill out enough to be more effective in the corners.

Why can't we have more posters like this?

David St Hubbins

Well, you're not as confused as he is.
Jan 24, 2016
Deskfront, facing WSW

bucket

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013

Time Traveler? :eek:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad