B. Gallagher

Nedved

Mar 30, 2008
After reading this ( http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=442918) I'm a confused fan.

Can someone explain where gallagher has embellished? the guy takes a beating every game, and just takes the shot. Sure, he plays an aggressive, and pest like game, but I never thought of him as one to embellish.

Am I wrong? or is the league ashamed to admit the terrible reffing?

PricePkPatch*

Fraser is a piece of **** who apparently can real mind and apply the rulebook arbitrarily

BigDaddyLurch

Have some PRIDE, Eric...
Sponsor
Mar 1, 2013
Principle's Office
...don't bother, amigo...Toronto Sports Network will always do two things:

Back a Leaf

Bash a Hab

...regardless, we still didn't deserve to win that game...too much deadwood just along for the ride...

calder candidate

Feb 25, 2003
Montreal
Visit site
Looking on the replay I feel that he may have embellish a bit, but there was a infraction Ref sould easilly of call cross checking, roughing, interference x3...
No matter was the REF might says that sequence made him look very bad...
Gally take more beating than anyone in the league he isn't dirty, he is a pest but play well within the rules, he just out works, out hustle bigger and never give up even against much bigger defender in front of the net...

NHL as the worst REF... Just to much variation from individuals to another and from game to game.

elsubz

Nov 3, 2007
Take a look at the main board. He plays dirty, he's a well known agitator, yapper, the biggest diver of the game and an embarrassment to the NHL. He's on Cooke/Avery level of evil being.

thewall

Jul 9, 2010
Listening Auger on l'AC made me so frustrated.. He basically said that Gallagher was a tough guy who could stand up to a guy 6'2'' and about 40 pounds bigger without falling.. He then said the ref then knows he's not supposed to go down easily since he proved to him earlier that he was tough. We're I got a problem with Auger is when he said.. He kinda deserved the penalty because he had no business in the goalie's crease. Then he said like Gallagher dove 2 times.. but basically said that he got tripped and then obstructed...

When I see guys like Kadri and Lupul go down so easily and get the calls all the time.. then Kadri nails a guy from behind (repeat offender) and gets away with it... and people talk about Gallagher being a diver.. well this pisses me off!

malton

Feb 17, 2009
I was surprised to see that was the perception of Gallagher.

I know he does his best to initiate contact, but he rarely goes down.

FrontierPsyCHiatrist*

I was surprised to see that was the perception of Gallagher.

I know he does his best to initiate contact, but he rarely goes down.

Never seen him dove/embellish before, actually. And I watch most of the games.
...And I wouldn't be surprised if he didn't even dive on that play, he was just trying to get out of the zone as quick as possible, and while making his first strides, a stick got in his skates at a moment he didn't expected and he had no chance to stay on his skate. (Would need another angle of the play to make this my personnal opinion). At the same time, I wouldn't be surprised either if he embellished due to the frustration, so I understand why EVERYBODY on the main boards are against him, and all this sequence is ALL HIS FAULT.

Anyways, I'm glad I couldn't watch this game, must've been quite frustrating! And it didn't take more to make our Toronto friends really happy about that, which is even more frustrating. It's OK though, Gally already seem like a Leafs killer when he plays em!

FrontierPsyCHiatrist*

Guy plays the game hard and the right way at his size.. yet he gets **** on. Wtf

''I guess this POS got what he deserves''

Why would he deserved to be punched in the face twice and everything, he never did anything wrong. Yes, he's a pest, but he's an honest pest, he's an example in that matter, unlike other vicious pests. I don't get why such things goes unnoticed.

CharasLazyWrister

Sep 8, 2008
Northborough, MA
As a Bruins fan, I think opposing fans and observers have a problem with Gallagher because he's a young player who plays with the attitude of an older one. He doesn't mind getting his nose dirty, talking **** back when need be, and playing the game generally hard. I have seen him embellish from time to time, but there are plenty of players that are miles above him and never are spoken about.

The fact that he's a Hab adds a level of hate with most.

All in all, I don't think there's truly great reason to hate him...it's sort of the same reason people hated Subban when he first came into the league. Guy who plays and acts like a veteran, and that irks the vets and fans, for probably rather egotistical reason.

Gallagher also isn't a star at this point, so there's probably the "too big for his britches" argument.

Just my opinion.

loudi94

Master of my Domain
Jul 8, 2003
Alberta
As a Bruins fan, I think opposing fans and observers have a problem with Gallagher because he's a young player who plays with the attitude of an older one. He doesn't mind getting his nose dirty, talking **** back when need be, and playing the game generally hard. I have seen him embellish from time to time, but there are plenty of players that are miles above him and never are spoken about.

The fact that he's a Hab adds a level of hate with most.

All in all, I don't think there's truly great reason to hate him...it's sort of the same reason people hated Subban when he first came into the league. Guy who plays and acts like a veteran, and that irks the vets and fans, for probably rather egotistical reason.

Gallagher also isn't a star at this point, so there's probably the "too big for his britches" argument.

Just my opinion.

He's actually very similar to Marchand but less of a meathead between the ears. No ring kissing or submarineing opponents....yet. He probably does need to show a bit of a mean streak. Make a little more room for himself by feeding someone his stick. May cost a few bucks and a few games but he's getting killed out there right now.

CharasLazyWrister

Sep 8, 2008
Northborough, MA
He's actually very similar to Marchand but less of a meathead between the ears. No ring kissing or submarineing opponents....yet. He probably does need to show a bit of a mean streak. Make a little more room for himself by feeding someone his stick. May cost a few bucks and a few games but he's getting killed out there right now.

He does bear some big time similarities to Marchand, no doubt.

With the way he plays he's always going to get killed. Don't you think he likes playing that way? It's less personal than I think you're making it out to be. You hang around the net like he did with 45 seconds to go in the game yesterday, you're going to get some rough treatment. Could there have been a PP for the Habs on that play? Yes. But Gallagher made himself a target, and trust me, from the little I've watched him and the lot more you've watched him, I think we could both agree that's his game.

MoobMoob

EntertainingasanSTD
Jun 11, 2011
Valhalla
The final shove by Bogosian should not have caused the net to be pushed in an excessively tipped forward position by Gallagher.

Somehow, Kerry Fraser can tell through images how much force is being applied.

The only point that looks like it could have been an embellishment to me is after Gallagher leaves the crease and gets tangled up with Bogosian a second time he does grab Bogosians stick and puts it between his legs. But at that point it's clear no call is going to be made, so why would he embellish?

Domenic

Jan 13, 2007
Calgary, AB
You can make a case for an embellishment or two on that play. The good thing is that you can teach a player not to embellish, but playing with heart - you can't teach that.

MaxDummy

Yeah
Jul 3, 2011
Laval
You can make a case for an embellishment or two on that play. The good thing is that you can teach a player not to embellish, but playing with heart - you can't teach that.

You can make a case, yes but honestly at his size Gallagher should be given the benefice of the doubt. It's "normal" for a guy his size to be pushed around and fall. Does not mean he is embellishing.

habtastic

Aug 17, 2007
Montrealer in Boston
Typical everyone else.

Gally is pure awesome. CBC even loved him and did that after hours thing ahwile ago. (I'm fairly sure they still do.)

TSN and the rest can f right off. I hope Gally doesn't read this trash, cuz his game is perfect and he's nowhere near dirty. This is just the same crap as the Prust-Bishop incident, where if you read what happened acc. to Prust (which I believe), makes Cherry and the usual crowd look like clueless idiots.

If it's Holmstrom, we're not even talking about it. As much as Gally is usually able to take a pounding from guys twice his size, there are limits. That sequence was such bs. I was over it, but now that I have to read this garbage, I'm even more incensed. Another player who plays exactly the way the people who criticize him love the game to be played. (see PK Subban).

Maybe Mike Richards and Lupul should weigh in.

So hope the EGG line gets reunited.

Video Coach

Sep 16, 2005
Goalies hate him bc he's always digging and falling around them, looking for a loose puck. I think players hate/respect him for his determination.

In this case, no doubt, there should have been a call, but he pissed off the ref by cutting thru the crease instead of going around Montoya and continuing to look at the ref as he was being hit, yelling for a call. Refs hate that.

I don't understand why players do this. Just keep your head down and play, you'll draw more penalties that way. Young players need to learn that.

PunkinDrublic*

Because all TSN employees circle jerk on the Laffs jersey.

loudi94

Master of my Domain
Jul 8, 2003
Alberta

With the way he plays he's always going to get killed. Don't you think he likes playing that way? It's less personal than I think you're making it out to be. You hang around the net like he did with 45 seconds to go in the game yesterday, you're going to get some rough treatment. Could there have been a PP for the Habs on that play? Yes. But Gallagher made himself a target, and trust me, from the little I've watched him and the lot more you've watched him, I think we could both agree that's his game.

He loves playing that way...it's not sustainable. He has to put some element of unpredictability to his game. That or he needs to be back with Prust riding shotgun.

Stoneburg

Mar 21, 2004
Fishing
There might be an argument to be made on both sides, but what bothered me was we could not enter the zone while Gallagher could not leave it. It essentially let Winnipeg run down the clock.

Habs13

Dec 30, 2004
Montreal

Oh for sure that's his game and what got him to the NHL, too. He must love it, or he wouldn't play that way. You make good points about the way Subban was treated, too, when he came into the league and I think you're bang on. I really wish Gallagher had some big and mean linemates with him that would accent the way he plays and prevent anybody from giving him the treatment he has been getting his whole career - and its getting worse. When he take a crosscheck to the back, into the net, two elbows to the face and multiple shoves on the way back to bench and nothing happens, you have a big problem on your team!

I like the Marchand comparison, too. Could you imagine how great Gallagher would be with Lucic and Horton as his line mates? Think he gets under peoples skin now?

Hmmm...don't think I saw him play with Prust.

Was that something you guys liked and were disappointed MT broke up?

His rookie season, he was on a line with Prust and Galchenyuk and it was the teams best line. But, that had to be broken up to shelter Desharnais.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad