Post-Game Talk: Avs @ Wings 5.30PM MDT || Officially a loss

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas
SOB still has two.

I know that I'm in the minority, but I don't mind O'Brien on the team, as long as he's in the #5 or 6 role, he does that quite well, provides some toughness and seems like a good locker room guy.

The problem, which is the same as it is with Hunwick/Zanon/O'Byrne, is that they are put into a position which guarantees failure, which is they're relied on too much, then they get exposed.

AslanRH

Not a Core Poster
Sponsor
Jun 5, 2012
Wyoming, USA
I know that I'm in the minority, but I don't mind O'Brien on the team, as long as he's in the #5 or 6 role, he does that quite well, provides some toughness and seems like a good locker room guy.

The problem, which is the same as it is with Hunwick/Zanon/O'Byrne, is that they are put into a position which guarantees failure, which is they're relied on too much, then they get exposed.

I agree. Often think SOB just gets lumped in with the others. Guilt by association type affair. Think it is starting to happen with Hejda with some on here as well.

Zih

Dater's Gonna Hate
Dec 19, 2008
Colorado
In terms of defensemen who are absolutely killing us out there, ROB and Zanon top the list. SOB and Hunwick aren't doing well, but they're playing about as you'd expect from 3rd pairing defensemen. The thing with Hunwick is that today he was 4 seconds shy of having the most TOI of anyone this game. He played 3:37 more than EJ. Why? Why was Barrie (who was arguably our best d-man at the time) scratched and sent down over clowns like ROB and Zanon? Why was the Barrie-Hejda pairing broken up and never reunited despite being our best pairing all year? There really aren't logical answers to these questions.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
Anyone else think O'Brien is a given to be traded at the deadline? When Quincey was traded last season I was shocked O'Brien wasn't because they were good buddies, I can see Sacco benching O'Brien because he wants him gone and wants to show management that they don't need him :shakehead

Colorado Avalanche

No Babe pictures
Sponsor
Apr 24, 2004
Lieto
Anyone else think O'Brien is a given to be traded at the deadline? When Quincey was traded last season I was shocked O'Brien wasn't because they were good buddies, I can see Sacco benching O'Brien because he wants him gone and wants to show management that they don't need him :shakehead

He's got 2 more years. I doubt anyone wants him at this point. He's not getting icetime in the WORST defense in NHL, why would anyone need him? lol

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
Zanon has been much more invisible (in a good way) since being paired with Barrie. Who would have thought having a defender that can move the puck out of the defensive zone makes his inept partner look better?

AslanRH

Not a Core Poster
Sponsor
Jun 5, 2012
Wyoming, USA

Think it is the opposite. He is not being "showcased" at all. Of the big 4 (Zanon, O'Byrne, Hunwick, and O'Brien) I think SOB is the least likely to be moved unless he is the only one teams come asking for.

Bubba Thudd

is getting banned
Jul 19, 2005
Avaland
What was Hunwick's TOI last night? Who won the avatar challenge?

23:31?

Zih - 23:20-23:39

(damn, I just missed...Bubba Thudd - 23:00-23:19)

Last edited:

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
Think it is the opposite. He is not being "showcased" at all. Of the big 4 (Zanon, O'Byrne, Hunwick, and O'Brien) I think SOB is the least likely to be moved unless he is the only one teams come asking for.

But a player doesn't need to be showcased right before deadline day for him to be dealt. Teams clearly know what O'Brien brings to the table and he's played his fair share of games this season for teams to know that he is better than the other 3 bums we have yet seems to be in Sacco's dog-house. And you know what happens once you're in Sacco's dog-house: Sherm the Worm finds you a new home

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad