Post-Game Talk: AVS vs STARS - 7PM MST, Duke almost had it at the end

JoemAvs

Jul 2, 2011
I don't get why everyone is screaming for the quick fix.
We are not getting Yandle for ROR. If we are desperate, we will get fleeced. Rather wait it out. This team is at best a borderline playoff team. An 8th seed if everything goes right.

With our injuries and the ROR situation, we obviously won't make the playoffs. Given the fact that there are only 39? games left, it is time to think about our draft pick.
Team has way too many holes (esp. behind the bench aka coaching) and we need at least 1 but probably 2 very strong drafts to set us up for the future.

So no quick fixes!
Put 2 or 3 or even 4 of Zanon, OByrne, OBrian, Hunwick, Hejda, maybe even Wilson on the block and take whatever you can get for them.

We are not going anywhere. Might as well play Barrie. Hate watching him sit in the pressbox. I rather see him make mistakes than those "vets" screwing up the same way.

AvsWraith

Jan 21, 2010
Colorado
Can we just try a new coach, please? I'm not saying everything is Sacco's fault, but I really do not like the way the team operates. I think a new system, new face, new philosophy, ect. would be good for our guys. Short of a season where Craig Anderson played his heart out, we know exactly what to expect when we watch this team. I really don't see any improvement in the team during Sacco's reign. I would just like to see something different. The whole thing feels like The Lake Erie Monsters ver 2.0 vs The Colorado Avalanche.

tucker3434

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 7, 2007
Atlanta, GA
I have trouble blaming Sacco. We've been outgunned his entire tenure. However, sometimes a change can spark a team. I just hope we do it at the right time. The last thing I want would be to have to fire another coach during this rebuild.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
I don't get why everyone is screaming for the quick fix.
We are not getting Yandle for ROR. If we are desperate, we will get fleeced. Rather wait it out. This team is at best a borderline playoff team. An 8th seed if everything goes right.

With our injuries and the ROR situation, we obviously won't make the playoffs. Given the fact that there are only 39? games left, it is time to think about our draft pick.
Team has way too many holes (esp. behind the bench aka coaching) and we need at least 1 but probably 2 very strong drafts to set us up for the future.

So no quick fixes!
Put 2 or 3 or even 4 of Zanon, OByrne, OBrian, Hunwick, Hejda, maybe even Wilson on the block and take whatever you can get for them.

We are not going anywhere. Might as well play Barrie. Hate watching him sit in the pressbox. I rather see him make mistakes than those "vets" screwing up the same way.

No one is screaming for the quick fix, rather some easy, inexpensive moves that would at least make this team marginally better. We're not asking for a Cup Contender--the Avs are clearly not that. Hell, they're clearly not a playoff team. But management could at the very least give us a team that's remotely watchable. It's unreal how quickly this team went from a high-scoring, fun brand of hockey to this slow, sloppy, clumsy style. Even by "Dead Puck Era" standards, this squad is completely unwatchable.

Oh, and they could actually engage O'Reilly's camp in talks instead of turning their noses up at a player who would have an immediate impact the moment he hit the ice.

shadow1

Nov 29, 2008
The Avs offense looked pretty good, especially on the power play but Dallas has a mediocre defense that collapses easily in the zone.

Colorado's top guys showed up but heck, you have Matt Hunwick on the ice for two awful goals against and that's really the story of a team relying on so many bottom pairing defenders night in and night out.

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC
No one is screaming for the quick fix, rather some easy, inexpensive moves that would at least make this team marginally better. We're not asking for a Cup Contender--the Avs are clearly not that. Hell, they're clearly not a playoff team. But management could at the very least give us a team that's remotely watchable. It's unreal how quickly this team went from a high-scoring, fun brand of hockey to this slow, sloppy, clumsy style. Even by "Dead Puck Era" standards, this squad is completely unwatchable.

Oh, and they could actually engage O'Reilly's camp in talks instead of turning their noses up at a player who would have an immediate impact the moment he hit the ice.

There isn't anything we could give up to get a second pairing defenseman without giving up something. I don't think we should trade any draft picks this year, the most a team would give up is a marginally #4/5 d-man that has been struggling and we hope for the best for what we can offer.

Pokecheque

Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
There isn't anything we could give up to get a second pairing defenseman without giving up something. I don't think we should trade any draft picks this year, the most a team would give up is a marginally #4/5 d-man that has been struggling and we hope for the best for what we can offer.

I'd be fine with a third-pairing puckmover. That'd give us at least an added dimension that isn't there right now. You're right though, I think the only hope for a top-four defender at this point is to either trade for one or just throw Barrie/Elliott into the fire and quit shoving them into the press box every time they have a bad game.

Avs should be burning up the phonelines to see what the Habs want for Yannick Weber. If he costs roughly what O'Byrne did the deal should be done yesterday. But I'm guessing it'd take a little more than that.

Huis Clos*

Depending on the severity of his injury, why pay a guy to sit on his ass? Especially when he injured himself playing in a different league.

Pokecheque

Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Depending on the severity of his injury, why pay a guy to sit on his ass? Especially when he injured himself playing in a different league.

They wouldn't have to pay him until he was healed. Like other players who were hurt during the lockout playing in Europe, the team can simply suspend him until he's healthy.

wondeROY

Apr 19, 2007
Missoula, Montana
Zanon absolutely needs to be scratched, when I saw him I thought oh man another Parker, now I think that's an insult. He is gawd ****ing awful, and Hunwick basically cost us the game last night, what a ****ing mess that kid was. ANYTHING is better then these 2 clowns, call up barrie or go visit the local beer league, probably find 2 better dmen.

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC
I'd be fine with a third-pairing puckmover. That'd give us at least an added dimension that isn't there right now. You're right though, I think the only hope for a top-four defender at this point is to either trade for one or just throw Barrie/Elliott into the fire and quit shoving them into the press box every time they have a bad game.

Avs should be burning up the phonelines to see what the Habs want for Yannick Weber. If he costs roughly what O'Byrne did the deal should be done yesterday. But I'm guessing it'd take a little more than that.

ROB came from montreal. I doubt they want him back

Pokecheque

Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
ROB came from montreal. I doubt they want him back

:laugh: I was comparing relative costs, not suggesting we send O'Byrne for Weber.

O'Byrne cost us a decent, but not spectacular prospect in Bournival. If Weber can be had for the same (Nermark? I'm just guessing here) then I'd be okay with that deal. But since Weber has more potential upside, I would assume it'd take more than that.

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia
Zanon absolutely needs to be scratched, when I saw him I thought oh man another Parker, now I think that's an insult. He is gawd ****ing awful, and Hunwick basically cost us the game last night, what a ****ing mess that kid was. ANYTHING is better then these 2 clowns, call up barrie or go visit the local beer league, probably find 2 better dmen.

Blame it on the post for writing an article on him before the game. He was terrible rewatched the game before I went to bed last night. People blaming Johnson on that play seriously? All Hunwick had to do was chip the puck off the boards instead of going back through the middle thats ALL he had to do. There was a cluster**** around the benches as both teams were going for changes Johnson couldnt move the puck there he had 3 stars surrounding him. That goal and the second goal are on Hunwick. Duchene even won the faceoff on the second goal Mcginn tried clearing it out of the circle and at the same time Hunwick was batting it towards Varly. Hunwick goes into la la land misses his assignment (Morrow) and we get scored on. Also the penalty he took was just as idiotic. There was no high stick from the Stars player and Hunwick goes ape and put us down 2 men. There is a reason why Hunwick played some 33 games last season and its because he sucks. Sacco knew it last yr but for some reason he has forgotten.

wondeROY

Apr 19, 2007
Missoula, Montana
Did anyone see EJ back on the ice in the 3rd period? I don't recall seeing him in the 3rd and I thought he went to the locker room late in the 2nd? I don't see any injury reports.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
Did anyone see EJ back on the ice in the 3rd period? I don't recall seeing him in the 3rd and I thought he went to the locker room late in the 2nd? I don't see any injury reports.

He was back in the 3rd.

Huis Clos*

Blame it on the post for writing an article on him before the game. He was terrible rewatched the game before I went to bed last night. People blaming Johnson on that play seriously? All Hunwick had to do was chip the puck off the boards instead of going back through the middle thats ALL he had to do. There was a cluster**** around the benches as both teams were going for changes Johnson couldnt move the puck there he had 3 stars surrounding him. That goal and the second goal are on Hunwick. Duchene even won the faceoff on the second goal Mcginn tried clearing it out of the circle and at the same time Hunwick was batting it towards Varly. Hunwick goes into la la land misses his assignment (Morrow) and we get scored on. Also the penalty he took was just as idiotic. There was no high stick from the Stars player and Hunwick goes ape and put us down 2 men. There is a reason why Hunwick played some 33 games last season and its because he sucks. Sacco knew it last yr but for some reason he has forgotten.

As I've mentioned in another thread Hunwick currently leads the defense in TOI per game.

bohlmeister

May 18, 2007
As I've mentioned in another thread Hunwick currently leads the defense in TOI per game.

tumblr_lm3rlnu2bD1qfhu95.gif

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad