Post-Game Talk: AVS vs STARS - 7PM MST, Duke almost had it at the end

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
It's hard watching the Avs and then watching teams like the Pens, Blackhawks, Wings, Canucks, etc. Sure they're more talented but they try their best to keep the puck and create scoring chances. Sacco has our forwards dump it in as soon as they cross the red line. Or they just fire it at the net as soon as they cross the blue line. That sort of worked with O'Reilly and Landeskog dumping it in, gaining possession, and getting a cycle going but not so much right now.

Huis Clos*

****. Our defense is so ****ing awful.

O'Byrne, O'Brien, and Zanon are just some of the worst NHL defenders I have EVER seen.

Never seen an NHL team with so many slow moving defensemen with ZERO puck skills and some of the most stupid decision making I've ever seen. Pathetic.

Our forwards were alright, but really, can you blame them for the defensemen not being able to make simple breakouts happen?

Ugh... ****ing scratch O'Byrne that guy has been the worst Dman on our squad for the last week+ and that is saying something with how bad O'Brien and Zanon have been.

They're not bad defensemen per se, but totally outmatched for the competition and minutes they play.

Gigantor The Goalie

Speak for the Goalies
Feb 4, 2012
New London
Doesn't help five of our players are injured. When you have a full scoring line out, some games are just not going to go your way. Plus Wilson being out really thins out our defence. Something though needs to be done about our powerplay. We're not going to get that many again so we really need to start cashing in on them.

ChrisNI

Sep 29, 2008
Orillia
Defence isnt good enough to make it to the playoffs. We need 2 more strong D and one of Barrie or Elliott to step up and play well for us to go a decent way.

Our D is killing this team, our forwards may not be the most talented but even with our weakened side they at least play with heart and don't make too many stupid mistakes.

Our D is just 1 idiot after another, when your D can't even clear the puck from your zone without taking a penalty or giving away a goal you know you're in trouble!

We add a few good D pieces and we could be on the way to greatness! Especially when our forward core is back to full strength and build chemistry.

ChibiPooky

Yay hockey!
May 25, 2011
Fairfax, VA
I kinda wish Duchene had tried to drive the net there at the end. He had the speed and the step on the defender. Try for the far side stuff, you know you have Hejduk trailing and can probably even pull the defender. Last-chance shot and rebound.

Not a bad effort overall, that first goal wasn't entirely on Hunwick. Missed the entire 2nd. Olver was a turnover machine in the neutral zone, so that's something he'll have to work on. Shane O'Brien needs a play coming out from behind his own net that's not "try to carry the puck and lose it". Varlamov made some huge saves late, but the comeback wasn't in the cards.

NothingLikeAnEJ

Jimmies: Rustled
Jan 24, 2011
You can never find a way out of your self interest,only a way in. To see your self interest & all the disorder is causes is to transcend it. I would also like to chime in that your brain is the brain of mankind your self is the self of mankind. U are a human being first empty that which divides u from humanity.

Our defense is ********************************* awful.

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia
I kinda wish Duchene had tried to drive the net there at the end. He had the speed and the step on the defender. Try for the far side stuff, you know you have Hejduk trailing and can probably even pull the defender. Last-chance shot and rebound.

Not a bad effort overall, that first goal wasn't entirely on Hunwick. Missed the entire 2nd. Olver was a turnover machine in the neutral zone, so that's something he'll have to work on. Shane O'Brien needs a play coming out from behind his own net that's not "try to carry the puck and lose it". Varlamov made some huge saves late, but the comeback wasn't in the cards.

that first goal was all his fault he moves that off the boards and were fine

Nihiliste

Feb 8, 2010
Meh I'm not unhappy with that effort. Duchene, EJ, Parenteau, Mcginn, Varly, Stastny all good, rest of the team not NHL caliber - pretty much what I expect. Just glad our best players are actually our best players.

I don't expect them to win when we're icing the worst D corps in the league and one of the weakest bottom 6s in the league (due to injury).

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
There are too many unforced errors by our defensemen. Just look at this snap from O'Byrne's penalty. He has several options, all of them better than a hard high backhand clear by a guy that has some of the worst puck skills on the team.

2z5rww3.jpg

Same with EJ and Hunwick on the first goal. There is no reason for Hunwick to not be in a better spot to give EJ a good passing option. There is no reason for EJ to pass to Hunwick there. There is no reason for Hunwick to try to get cute there. Error error error.

Chileiceman

Dec 14, 2004
Toronto
Those penalties at the end killed us. Even though they didn't score, by the time we killed them off there was little more than a minute to try to tie it. That Duchene play at the end reminded me of Landeskog against Buffalo last season. Too bad Hejduk couldn't pull the trigger.

-Speaking of the Duke, he's been a lot better these last couple games. He was so bad to start the season. Glad to see he can still contribute.

-Orr'Brien had some actully good plays, but he had some really boneheaded ones too.

-I thought O'Byrne had been having a good game until the bad delay of game penalty

-Johnson had one of his worse games so far. His partner Hunwick didn't help much

-Stastny is making a lot of nice little plays out there on both ends of the ice. Seems like Jones was bringing him down or something. He doesn't have the flash of Duchene but he's getting it done.

-Duchene's problem was always making too many moves or trying to do too much himself. He's a changed man this season. He's playing the best hockey of his career right now. He and Parenteau have gelled so well together.

Avs71

Aug 12, 2008
I just hope we get a ROR+ trade for someone like Yandle soon. Getting a guy like Yandle would be so beneficial to this team. Help the powerplay, give the Avs a legit first pairing, and bump all the ****** defencemen down the depth chart. Would bring so much more value than a guy who is sitting in a different country than Colorado, wasting a year of development, and if/when he signs will play on the third line.

chet1926

Jan 9, 2008
Denver
Just another night where we were severely over-matched talent wise. Their top 2 lines are way more talented than our top 2 lines and even their 3rd and 4th lines are slightly better just because they have some experience.

We had pretty good compete level their star players just made plays, while they did a pretty good job containing our 1 dangerous line. Sure Statsnys line looked OK, but really Mitchell and Hejduk aren't top 6ers. Mitchell would best be suited for a 3rd line role whereas Hejduk should also be more of a 3rd line guy at this point as well on a good team.

We just have too many injuries and a key holdout. I imagine many more nights like this where are compete level is fine but our talent level is lacking. Its just frustrating to watch.

Once again Varly played pretty well but gets hung out to dry on all 3 goals, 2 of which it was just shooter vs goalie from prime scoring spots which is disappointing.

SOB is terrible, get this wannabe Bobby Orr off the team. All does is hang on to the puck too long and then turn it over at the most inopportune times. I much prefer to watch Barrie go out and make mistakes compared to this clown.

This was the first night were Duchene wasn't the best player on the ice, still thought he played pretty well, and was very solid on the PK, but just couldn't seem to get it fully going offensively. I think this is because the Stars said screw it we're not letting Duchene beat us, if were going to lose its going to be someone else.

This was on the other hand Stastnys best game, couple of nice shots and some good passes. I think he is starting to get right which is good to see.

I was really impressed again by Sgarbossa, he has in my opinion earned the right to get to play with some better players and get a little more ice time. He made some good offensive plays in the 3rd period where if he had a little more talent with him it may have resulted differently.

Other than that no one really stuck out as overly good or overly bad. It was nice to see Hejduk get a goal in his 1000th game.

Back to the drawing board and hopefully we can get some guys back for the next game.

a mangy Meowth

Ross Colton Fan
Jun 21, 2012
Highlands Ranch, CO
I'm afraid to say it but we need Barrie back, even though he's been unspectacular.

Our pylons are just so damn bad at driving play, we need someone who can skate and contribute, even if he's giving up some risky plays. I mean, it's not like our "defensive stalwarts" are keeping them from having any chances at all.

****. Why is O'Brien on this team??

Nihiliste

Feb 8, 2010
Barrie was bad defensively in his 3 games but the others are nearly as bad so we may as well give him some playing time and see what he can do offensively. We're not really putting him in a position to succeed, I guess they figure they screwed over a year of Elliott's development so why not screw over Barrie too.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad