GDT: Avs vs. Jackets: Finnish Them With Memes! (2pm ET / 12pm MT)

Colorado Avalanche

No Babe pictures
Sponsor
Apr 24, 2004
Lieto
Can someone from Finland explain to me why an underachiever and dislikable personality like Laine is more popular than Rants or Barkov?
He is from Tampere and the game was played in Tampere. Simple as that.

If the game was played in Turku, Mikko would be more popular imo. (From Turku or close to it)

HartKinnon

Nov 25, 2010
Can someone from Finland explain to me why an underachiever and dislikable personality like Laine is more popular than Rants or Barkov?

Exhibit A:

The video is a little bit bugged and after six minutes you have seen all the goals except one.

Before Laine Tappara had lost finals three years in a row. That cocky teenager did unbelievable things that won’t be replicated.

It’s a shame that he ended up in the team with shitty coach and dirtbag captain. Luckily he is just 24 years old so he has a lot of time to improve.

Reactions: DanishAvsfan

TruePowerSlave

Jun 27, 2015
Is laine more popular then Mikko in finland
He absolutely is. The Finnish media has made Laine the face of Finnish hockey and the fans who don't really follow the NHL have gone along with it. Search trends, Finnish hockey forums, news etc all have Laine as the most popular player.

It makes no sense really but it is what it is.

Last edited:

Feb 4, 2017
Stockholm
For me personally, it's refreshing with a finnish elite personality that isnt called/nicked "Ice man" in interviews and as a public figure. He's a character for sure. For me, my fascination started with this interview :DD

Last edited:

LaMasquerade

Mar 11, 2018
Tampere
Didn't manage to get tickets for the game, but instead spent the night in a sportsbar here in Tampere with friends watching the game and boozing (with American craft beers.. Toppling Goliath, Adroit Theory, Central Waters, Spyglass, you name it..). Great to see Mikko hatty.

OT: Why does someone think Laine is dislikeable personality? American media bias?

Colorado Avalanche

No Babe pictures
Sponsor
Apr 24, 2004
Lieto
Didn't manage to get tickets for the game, but instead spent the night in a sportsbar here in Tampere with friends watching the game and boozing (with American craft beers.. Toppling Goliath, Adroit Theory, Central Waters, Spyglass, you name it..). Great to see Mikko hatty.

OT: Why does someone think Laine is dislikeable personality? American media bias?
I would say Laine has character which leads to a love/hate type relationship. Big fan or no fan.

Chiarelli

Jan 27, 2019

Apparently got a loud cheer as well. I would've imagined the crowd would boo him considering the stuff he has done to us Finns at the international stage...

probably a lot of avs fans in the building cheering

UncleRisto

Not Great, Bob!
Jul 7, 2012
Finland

Apparently got a loud cheer as well. I would've imagined the crowd would boo him considering the stuff he has done to us Finns at the international stage...

I cheered for sure. I wonder if he expected a loud cheer. Mats Sundin I would boo.

Loud cheers as well for Esa Tikkanen and very loud for Jarmo. Hopefully some new people to cheer on the screen tonight.

lionsDen

Hated And Proud
Jan 26, 2022
Nah, not the same thing with Kakko, and I think Kakko was actually closer to Hughes than Laine was to Matthews. Frankly, a lot has been lost I think. Aside from the suits, Rantanen is the more flashy one of the Finns ATM.
I
How did Georgie look today btw? Catched some of the third period...
If I remember right they said pool party had a higher floor then laine and that he was closer to the nhl… if I remember right

TomppaKoo

Jan 27, 2021
Just watched the highlights and two thoughts to share:

1- On the 3rd BJ goal Sammy G was simply useless.

2- Johnny Hockey was in full playoff form- lot's skating around, no real results.
Overall Sammy G was very good in the game. did his things very well for the most time of the game.

Lumipanda

Oct 5, 2010
Finland
Was amazing to see them live. While I was in Stockholm 5 years ago for Ottawa games, those were absolutely horsecrap. This one though.. Save for that second period.

I'm just annoyed that Viaplay only has 48 hour VOD, meaning I can't go back and watch the bits they did off-ice.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Honestly I really like Laine as a personality. Dude is very frank and honest in interviews, which is a welcome change from the milquetoast answers we usually get from hockey players. I have no issue with an athlete showing some swagger from time to time. I just wish dude could find some more consistency on the ice, that's all.

Reactions: Lumipanda

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad