GDT: Avs vs Habs in Montreal Thursday 25th September 7.30 PM EDT/5.30 PM MDT

Status
Not open for further replies.

Frenchy

Administrator
Sep 16, 2006
϶(°o°)ϵ
Speaking of having the tools, what in the hell happened to Latendresse? He looked like he was going to be a beauty.

He's coaching in the Midget AAA for the Riverains du Collège Charles-Lemoyne.
Plus, he's also a part time hockey analyst on RDS .

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
Bender is right , i heard the same thing , Pap requested to play both games , he wants to make Roy/Avs pay for trading him .

Instead.... he provides really lazy defense that you could argue caused a goal. Great payback PAP. :laugh:

Frenchy

Administrator
Sep 16, 2006
϶(°o°)ϵ
So is there any chance the Avs wear Nordique jerseys tonight? At the very least a patch?

i doubt it . They did it last time with Foote, Sakic and Forsberg because they were ex-Nords still playing for the Avs ... But now , none of the current players on the Avs roster played for the Nordiques .

Instead.... he provides really lazy defense that you could argue caused a goal. Great payback PAP. :laugh:

i dont want to be the devil's advocate , but all we could hear from the journalits in Habs training camp was how Great Pap was playing on a line with DD and Patches . Ever since the start of training camp , that line was making the headline in every MTL sports news .

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
i doubt it . They did it last time with Foote, Sakic and Forsberg because they were ex-Nords still playing for the Avs ... But now , none of the current players on the Avs roster played for the Nordiques .

What did the do last time? And when was that?

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
i dont want to be the devil's advocate , but all we could hear from the journalits in Habs training camp was how Great Pap was playing on a line with DD and Patches . Ever since the start of training camp , that line was making the headline in every MTL sports news .

Oh I am sure he is going to do fine in the end, but I really doubt the Avs are going to regret the deal. Nor will PAP 'payback' the Avs for trading him.

Call me crazy though, but that line looks weak defensively and will give up a lot of goals.

Frenchy

Administrator
Sep 16, 2006
϶(°o°)ϵ
Oh I am sure he is going to do fine in the end, but I really doubt the Avs are going to regret the deal. Nor will PAP 'payback' the Avs for trading him.

Call me crazy though, but that line looks weak defensively and will give up a lot of goals.

The general consensus among the journalits at camp was : At last the Habs have a real first line AND those 3 are gonna burn the eastern conf.

... and no you're not crazy , only us mods are crazy ;)

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
The general consensus among the journalits at camp was : At last the Habs have a real first line AND those 3 are gonna burn the eastern conf.

... and no you're not crazy , only us mods are crazy ;)

DD a first line center?!? [mod]

Last edited by a moderator:

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
It is more likely that Holden would switch sides. He spent a decent amount of time on the right last year.

I have no issue with Roy and Co giving Wilson every chance to regain his game. If he does, then we have a very solid 4/5 defender... if he doesn't, he will be scratched within 5 games.

I don't argue this often cause Wilson's never healthy enough for it to matter, but no, even if he's fully fit and in prime form he's a bottom pairing guy who's not awful with the puck and has a handful of huge hits a year that make people forget all of the defensive zone ****ups. His positioning and stick work in his own zone though are quite poor, even when he was an adequate skater.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
I don't argue this often cause Wilson's never healthy enough for it to matter, but no, even if he's fully fit and in prime form he's a bottom pairing guy who's not awful with the puck and has a handful of huge hits a year that make people forget all of the defensive zone ****ups. His positioning and stick work in his own zone though are quite poor, even when he was an adequate skater.

If you can... go watch tape from the spring of 10-11. That is where Wilson peaked and was playing at a very high level, and that is the level that the Avs are hoping he gets back to. We all know he won't, but that is their thought pattern.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach

I remember that spring for Wilson, but I also remember feeling that you guys were over-rating him even back then. When I get a new laptop that actually works I'll try and find some games from then to watch, maybe, but I really felt even back then that he was out of position very consistently, even when he wasn't taking himself out of position to Scott Stevens someone. Plus I've always felt he didn't really know how to use his stick as an effective defensive weapon with which to harass the puck and corral the puck carrier where you wanted them to go, cause I've never seen him be really clever with it.

He just always struck as a guy we wanted to be better than he was because he was a great hitter, a decent skater and competent with the puck, but was constantly injured to create that mystique around what he could do if he just stayed healthy. And I think that spring was more something where people saw what they wanted to see to support their belief in that myth than any actually really strong play.

Lemme put it this way, I think that stretch Quincey had next to EJ was of a much higher caliber than anything we've ever seen from Wilson, but because we wanted Quincey gone and Wilson to "put it all together" those two periods are perceived completely differently.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
My bad, any chance you can bring back the Wilson related part of my post though?

Done

~BT~

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
berra always gets blamed for everything. defense sucked on that play? still, blame berra. unstoppable shot? still, blame berra.

he is a good goaltender and had time to adapt to what Allaire tells him to do. people always said that he is always outside his crease and challenges too much. now that he is playing deeper in the net, people want him to challenge the shooter.. give him a break guys, really. :shakehead

With all due respect, he hasn't done anything to deserve a break. He's had two absolutely terrible performances last year, then gave up 4 the other night against Anaheim where he let in goals on the first two shots, then lost this game against the Habs where he looked shaky at times, and let in a weak goal on a wrister from the top of the circle he should have stopped.

He looked better as the game went on against Montreal, but at this point he deserves the criticism and worry. He needs at least one good performance in his first five games to curb any worry. The next game will be his 5th and it hasn't happened yet.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
Can we shut this down? It should have been a post game thread last night but instead we have 2 GDT's going.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
It is more likely that Holden would switch sides. He spent a decent amount of time on the right last year.

I have no issue with Roy and Co giving Wilson every chance to regain his game. If he does, then we have a very solid 4/5 defender... if he doesn't, he will be scratched within 5 games.

I don't really remember Holden playing that much on the right side last year. He played mostly with Guenin who's a RD, and the only other LD he would have played with were Benoit and Wilson, and I seem to remember them playing a fair amount on their off side.

I don't recall him playing with Hejda much because he spent the whole year with EJ.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
I don't really remember Holden playing that much on the right side last year. He played mostly with Guenin who's a RD, and the only other LD he would have played with were Benoit and Wilson, and I seem to remember them playing a fair amount on their off side.

I don't recall him playing with Hejda much because he spent the whole year with EJ.

It was whenever he was paired with Benoit.

linusandvarlamov

GO AVS GO !
Apr 2, 2014
Paris, France
I just got to see the highlights on the Avalanche site. The Mackinnon to Barrie goal was impressive !! I'd really like to see more of that in the regular season from them. Mackinnon is getting to be a beast at protecting the puck now (I'm sure the mass he put on during the summer is one of the main causes) : I guess he's starting to almost resemble Duchene when he's down low protecting the puck.

I'm not going to be able to watch any of the exhibition matches but when the Season starts, I'll have my gamecenter live pass. I'm really getting excited.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
I just got to see the highlights on the Avalanche site. The Mackinnon to Barrie goal was impressive !! I'd really like to see more of that in the regular season from them. Mackinnon is getting to be a beast at protecting the puck now (I'm sure the mass he put on during the summer is one of the main causes) : I guess he's starting to almost resemble Duchene when he's down low protecting the puck.

I'm not going to be able to watch any of the exhibition matches but when the Season starts, I'll have my gamecenter live pass. I'm really getting excited.

I big part of what's gonna make Mack a beast down low is how explosive his first two steps are.

Dutchy's kind of slippery with his spin moves, and he has good quickness too, but I think we saw what is gonna be a big part of Mack's game last night on Barie's goal. Emelin was giving him cross checks that now Nate's strong enough to absorb, and then got caught on the wrong side of him for just a second, and Nate exploded around to the other side of the net giving himself tons of time and space.

All he needs is just an inch or two of space and he'll be 5-10 ft away with the puck in no time. Not a player in the league can catch him, they'll have to double team him, and then you'll see the passes to guys in the slot like we saw with Barrie.

linusandvarlamov

GO AVS GO !
Apr 2, 2014
Paris, France
I also just realized that NHL Gamecenter live is streaming some of the exhibition games live, so I decided to purchase the pass tonight. :handclap: I think this is the first year where gamecenter live gives access to some of the exhibition games because if I remember correctly, from past years, I never was able to watch pre-season games on NHL.com

Anyway just got a shot of adrenaline and hockey happiness tonight :laugh:. I'm going to be able to watch the entire replay of the game against the Canadiens that was played last night. I don't know if I have the courage to get up at 1:30 in the morning tonight but I won't be missing the home opener at the pepsi center against the Wild on Saturday in 2 weeks. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad