GDT: Avs vs Ducks. Wed, Oct 2. 7:30 MST l Part II

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
Slept on it... still pumped about last night. We might not be a very good team this year, but we are going to be very entertaining.

Pros:
-ROR was a beast last night, all over the ice and exudes hockey IQ
-Downie so nice to have the crazy back in the lineup, the best part of his game is that he adds skill with the crazy
-MacKinnon got comfortable really quickly, that line is going to be very dangerous
-Varly was very good. He looked much more composed and wouldn't let himself get out of position.
-Sarich and Benoit pairing was pretty good and solid all night.
-Tanguay still has those magic hands and vision

Cons:
-Barrie was very, very bad. Worst game he has played in a long time.
-Defense tended to get pinned and couldn't connect consistently on the breakout passes.

That is about it. The Stastny line and EJ pairing shut down Anaheim's best line. Neither was great, but they did their jobs.

Roman Yoshi

Aug 16, 2009
Franklin, TN
Avs were my first hockey love... until Nashville started doing better post 2004-05... I gotta tell you this got my heart going again in a way the Preds haven't in about 18 months. Seeing Roy out there reminded me of 2001. It was awesome. Not to mention the raw talent the Avs have up front this year, this team is going to be a fun one to watch. I am infinitely envious of your forwards.

It's unfortunate the Preds and Avs are in the same division, but I can tell you I will be cheering for these guys night in and night out. Unless they play the Preds of course.

Granlund2Pulkkinen*

Guys Benoît is a surprise, not that he's great but he's surprisingly good in his own zone.

Hejda and Benoît were on fire last night. Hopefully they can keep it up and it wasn't just that one-time "great atmosphere" feeling.

Taak19

Sep 22, 2011
That was quite the game last night.

I think the guys were a little nervous last night and fumbled the puck a lot.

The Ducks had 35 shots but the one thing I noticed, if they weren't from defensive lapses or fumbles, they were shot mostly from the outside. A couple times I noticed when a Duck had the puck behind the net instead of our D chasing they would collapse to in front of the net to take away one timers.

Still, there is a lot of work to be done if this D is to come off as a passable D in the NHL.

The Mars Volchenkov

Mar 31, 2002
Colorado
Roy is on The Fan right now. Says he doesn't regret anything. Says the team that should have been angry was the Avs because their player got kneed and they didn't do anything. He said Perry started yapping and Roy asked him how he'd like being in that position up 6-0. Then Boudreau got involved.

He said they weren't perfect defensively but perfect in their work habits.

He said if he puts out a skilled line at the end, he gets criticized even more.

They asked him with 81 games, if he'll do it again, he said he would if it calls for it and they're here to win.

Gigantor The Goalie

Speak for the Goalies
Feb 4, 2012
New London
Roy saying how he was not going to put the 1st and 2nd line out in the last few seconds. Says the 4th line deserved to be on the ice due to their play. Talks about how Perry started yapping first and Roy responded.

Says that Lovejoy knew what he was doing in the last minute. Roy says he was laughing after the game due to people calling the Avs classless. Was surprised that the glass moved as much as it did. Says if he has to do what he did last night for the other 81 games then that's what they'll do to win. The team is here to win.

Gushes about MacKinnon. Likes the kind of game he had last night.

Roy will be on 104.3 The Fan every Thursday at 8am Mountain Time by the way

Foppa

Future Norris Winner
Feb 27, 2002
Kansas City, USA
I like how everyone is back on the ROR bandwagon after it seemed like a majority were willing to let him go for some draft picks last season. :)

The contract dispute and his annoying father were never going to get in the way of what kind of player he is on the ice. He's our Patrice Bergeron and I'd keeping giving him $6 million a year for a long, long time.

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course
TatteredTornNFrayed won the avatar challenge. Bring it on.

Gotta love Roy.

D wasn't bad but Barrie needs to be better. No doubt he will be. That third line will be big weapon against many teams, I think.

Varly looked great. Too bad he didn't get that shutout, would have deserved it.

Ducks were pretty unflattering. Was expecting W but nothing like this. Trying not to get hopes up too soon but I think Avs are going to score a lot of goals this year. Entertaining games ahead.

Gigantor The Goalie

Speak for the Goalies
Feb 4, 2012
New London
TatteredTornNFrayed won the avatar challenge. Bring it on.

Gotta love Roy.

D wasn't bad but Barrie needs to be better. No doubt he will be. That third line will be big weapon against many teams, I think.

Varly looked great. Too bad he didn't get that shutout, would have deserved it.

Ducks were pretty unflattering. Was expecting W but nothing like this. Trying not to get hopes up too soon but I think Avs are going to score a lot of goals this year. Entertaining games ahead.

Barrie was a disappointment tonight but I'm sure he'll turn it around. Hejda had a rough game too. While we're all disappointed that Varly didn't get the shut out Varly sure didn't care last night. I think Varly is starting to turn the corner. This was a perfect season setting game. Perfect game to start the season off of and Roy knows that we need to replicate the hard work in order to keep winning.

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
Barrie and Landeskog probably had a bit of premiere nerves. Both were trying to do too much with the puck. They looked a bit like Taylor Hall did Oilers first game. Trying to beat players one-on-one when there was no room and forcing passes.

Barrie is a sharp kid and has all the skill in the world. He'll be fine. Landeskog, even when he's having an off game, works like a madman in backchecking and defense. He also had a few massive hits. He finds a way to at least be somewhat useful when his game isn't clicking.

Duchene also didn't have the best of games, but he worked hard enough.

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas
I like how everyone is back on the ROR bandwagon after it seemed like a majority were willing to let him go for some draft picks last season. :)

The contract dispute and his annoying father were never going to get in the way of what kind of player he is on the ice. He's our Patrice Bergeron and I'd keeping giving him $6 million a year for a long, long time.

Everyone Foppa?

It feels like I'm apart of a select few that have stated that O'Reilly needs to be kept.

Gigantor The Goalie

Speak for the Goalies
Feb 4, 2012
New London
Everyone Foppa?

It feels like I'm apart of a select few that have stated that O'Reilly needs to be kept.

I've been sitting on the fence but mostly felt it would be best to keep him. I really like him as Duchene's winger. Certainly didn't cause any problems tonight. All these years we've been looking for a winger for Duchene and we had already drafted him.

Granlund2Pulkkinen*

I also wonder how long Roy will ride Varly's wave until he starts Giguère? It's been a 1a/1b situation here since both were brought on..

I'd expect

Varly 55 games
Giggy 27 games

this season if injuries don't intervene.

But it'll be interesting to see how Roy handles it.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
In the interview on the Fan they asked Roy if the O'Reilly situation from last year is behind them and Roy said yes and gave him a lot of praise, specifically on the first goal and how he had no problem moving to wing. Even if O'Reilly doesn't play like that every night I absolutely want him on the team. It does feel like an entirely different situation between him and the team now. My only worry is he still has the same agents who are not going to make negotiations easy. Hopefully the Avs are ready to spend all parties can act rationally.

I would have never guessed MacKinnon would play on the PK but not the PP, though I'm sure he'll work up to some PP time soon enough.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
People get too up in arms about the ROR thing. If he earns his next contract, I don't think anybody has a single problem giving it to him. If he flounders (not likely) and only scores 35-40 points, nobody is going to want to pay him his QO. It is up to ROR at this point.

AslanRH

Not a Core Poster
Sponsor
Jun 5, 2012
Wyoming, USA
I was surprised at our defense. Better passing and they would have looked better, but the system was visible, and there was a lot of communication on the ice. Doubt the defense ever looks very good until some changes to personel are made, but serviceable could be not far off.

Stastny gets the ghost title on here again :shakehead, but both of his penalties were the result of chaos happening around the net, and I think both times he at least tied up a player who had a chance at the puck.

I thought that 2nd line did very well. I think it will be the "quiet line" more often than not (especially on home ice), but that appears to be their role. Solid defense against top lines is just as valuable as points for this team.

I'll wait for a few more games to be all in, but I'd really like to see ROR and Stastny locked up at around Lando's deal.

If Downie can stay healthy, this team will always be tough to play with physical guys on all 4 lines.

Barrie on the off side was a bit scary, but I think he was trying too hard at times.

Good start to the year, and so far the changes that were made are proving to be great.

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
Roy used a lot of forwards on the PK.

Mitchell
McLeod
MacKinnon
O'Reilly
McGinn
Landeskog
Tanguay
Duchene