GDT: Avs vs. Coyotes | 7 PM | Nov 21 | An Actual GDT

Lonewolfe2015

Rom Com Male Lead
Sponsor
Dec 2, 2007
I know we're all loving Highlander right now, but he's a 4th liner, when he plays above that for too long he starts to really limit the players he's with and takes some dumb penalties. With the injuries we have I'm glad he's getting to play on the third line, but when we're healthy again he needs to be on that 4th line with malkin and bordy. Let Talbot handle the defensive duties for MacGinnon on the third line if roy doesn't decide to give MacK O'Reilly full time.

Nothing to do with right now, I noticed it last year too. When McLeod lets Bordy do the enforcing and instead focuses on being a steady grinder + PKer he's very effective at his role. I like him better on the 3rd line than Talbot, he keeps his game simple and makes less mistakes.

McLeod is wasted on the 4th line imo, he has the ability to pot 10 or 15 goals from the 3rd line.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
I also think McLeod is a perfectly fine 3rd liner. He isn't a top tier 3rd liner by any means, but a capable ~10g scorer while providing decent defense and great physical play. Many teams have worse 3rd line players than McLeod, some of those are on teams deemed 'better' than the Avs.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
McLeod is wasted on the 4th line imo, he has the ability to pot 10 or 15 goals from the 3rd line.

I think you're grossly exaggerating his goal-scoring ability. He has only come close to that kind of production when he got top-six minutes, and he has only gotten top-six minutes when injuries piled up and/or the Avs were in the tank.

A 4th liner makes the most out of his minutes, which Highlander does great, but I agree with the notion that overplaying him leads to trouble. When he plays a simple, straightforward game he's great. When he starts trying to do too much that's when his limitations show and yes, he starts taking stupid penalties.

Lonewolfe2015

Rom Com Male Lead
Sponsor
Dec 2, 2007
I think you're grossly exaggerating his goal-scoring ability. He has only come close to that kind of production when he got top-six minutes, and he has only gotten top-six minutes when injuries piled up and/or the Avs were in the tank.

A 4th liner makes the most out of his minutes, which Highlander does great, but I agree with the notion that overplaying him leads to trouble. When he plays a simple, straightforward game he's great. When he starts trying to do too much that's when his limitations show and yes, he starts taking stupid penalties.

10 goals on the 3rd line is not out of the question for him, 15 goals during a really productive season (alongside MacKinnon) is a fair ceiling for him.

On the 4th line he's asked to hit people, he can't generate much if any offense. But he's always been decent around the net and it couldn't hurt to have him play that role on MacK's line.

Pokecheque

Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
10 goals on the 3rd line is not out of the question for him, 15 goals during a really productive season (alongside MacKinnon) is a fair ceiling for him.

On the 4th line he's asked to hit people, he can't generate much if any offense. But he's always been decent around the net and it couldn't hurt to have him play that role on MacK's line.

You're really confusing me here. Hitting people is exactly what he's best at. It's when he's knocking bodies around and disrupting the opposition on the forecheck that he gets the occasional goal. You seem to be under the impression he's some sort of power forward. He isn't.

the_fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
Did i see someone say Varly won this game for the Avs?

Varly almost lost the game for the Avs with that center ice goal against and overall he wasn't that good. This time the team bailed him out.

Pokecheque

Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com

Varly almost lost the game for the Avs with that center ice goal against and overall he wasn't that good. This time the team bailed him out.

Uh...no. Phoenix spent nearly the entire 1st and most of the 3rd in the Avs' zone. And the Avs D, usually good at clearing rebounds, were absolutely TERRIBLE in the slot. You're smoking crack if you think the team bailed HIM out.

And Michael Stone has 7 goals in 16 games for a reason. I'm sure Varly wasn't happy about giving that up but it's not like the goal Quick gave up earlier this season.

Lonewolfe2015

Rom Com Male Lead
Sponsor
Dec 2, 2007
You're really confusing me here. Hitting people is exactly what he's best at. It's when he's knocking bodies around and disrupting the opposition on the forecheck that he gets the occasional goal. You seem to be under the impression he's some sort of power forward. He isn't.

Not at all, I'm just trying to emphasize that on the 4th line all he can do is hit people and forecheck. He gets little to no opportunities in front of the net and he's limited in his usefulness to the team. That's not a big problem where there are 9 people better than him on the team and healthy. But Talbot isn't better than him, so when healthy I'd rather see McLeod up than Talbot.

Not to mention having a guy like McLeod out to watch MacKinnon's back and bang home the rebounds MacKinnon generates isn't a bad thing. McGinn/Talbot aren't very strong net front presences, Talbot likes to play along the boards and McGinn likes to work around the open space between the faceoff dots.

Differences of opinion I guess, but I see McLeod doing much better than Talbot on the 3rd line and putting home 10-ish goals from that spot. Whereas Talbot I see maintaining his level of play whether he's on the 3rd or 4th.

AMDZen

ME in the RED Circle
Apr 7, 2010
Denver
Home.Page.ZeN
That was the weakest goal I've ever seen ever in my life, ever

But yea, thats Varly for you. He saves the unsavable and gets beat on the weakest of the weak

The Mars Volchenkov

Mar 31, 2002
Colorado

But yea, thats Varly for you. He saves the unsavable and gets beat on the weakest of the weak
If that's the weakest goal you've ever seen, you probably need to watch a bit more hockey.

Or maybe goals like this...

member 116861

That wasn't even the weakest goal this season.

Lonewolfe2015

Rom Com Male Lead
Sponsor
Dec 2, 2007
I thought AMDZen was being sarcastic... giving them the benefit of the doubt.

But... terrible goals = Vesa Toskala.

"That is a 197 foot shot!" "I have never seen this before"

freeboy

Feb 27, 2012
Sunny Colorado
Just got back from the game. Oh you should have heard the butthurt Coyote fans in the building. hahaha.

EJ didn't have a good game. Looked slow to react and borderline lazy. He made up for it with a few game savers in the 3rd though.
ROR was IMO the best player on the ice. His stick work is so amazing live.
Landy is such a cerebral player. Impressive.
Varly.....Come on man. From the red line. He played a solid game aside from that.
PAP is really struggling. McGinn had a few nice plays, was average.
Stastny was strong.
Mac Was alright. Really fast live.

I thought Hanzal was really good. He is a dink, but if he was on my team I would love him. He seems to be a little disappointing for a guy with his size though.
Doan was good on the wall.
Yandle was underwhelming, OEL was good. That guy is a good player.
I both agree and diss agree re EJ,
Both he and JH played into the burnt phase, so especially at end the where exhausted, get another D man! I think they both played D well though, I loved all the shut down the avs had when Dogs where in our zone. I cannot blame a player who okay exhausted, the last Dogs goal was against a very tired looking group. That rests on Roy.

Last edited:

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach

Yeah, the boys making 41 saves for varly was really impressive

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Not at all, I'm just trying to emphasize that on the 4th line all he can do is hit people and forecheck. He gets little to no opportunities in front of the net and he's limited in his usefulness to the team. That's not a big problem where there are 9 people better than him on the team and healthy. But Talbot isn't better than him, so when healthy I'd rather see McLeod up than Talbot.

Not to mention having a guy like McLeod out to watch MacKinnon's back and bang home the rebounds MacKinnon generates isn't a bad thing. McGinn/Talbot aren't very strong net front presences, Talbot likes to play along the boards and McGinn likes to work around the open space between the faceoff dots.

Differences of opinion I guess, but I see McLeod doing much better than Talbot on the 3rd line and putting home 10-ish goals from that spot. Whereas Talbot I see maintaining his level of play whether he's on the 3rd or 4th.

Talbot is clearly better than him and cody isn't much of a net front presence either. Talbot is much better defensively, better passer, better along the boards in the offensive zone, only things cody does better is hit harder and fight.

Avsboy

Dec 12, 2006

LOL. PHX had like 40-45 shots, many of them prime scoring chances. Varly played great.

AvsRobin

Size doesn't matter!
Aug 10, 2010
Stockholm
Landeskog is 20 years old(for a couple of more hours). That still amazes me. He seems like a veteran and we expect him to play like one night in night out. Never when he has a dodgy game we turn to the reason being that he is still a kid who isn't close to his prime yet.

To the window!
Sponsor
Jan 15, 2011
North Cackolacka
Landeskog is 20 years old(for a couple of more hours). That still amazes me. He seems like a veteran and we expect him to play like one night in night out. Never when he has a dodgy game we turn to the reason being that he is still a kid who isn't close to his prime yet.

Good point. That is sort of crazy once you think about it. ( although I don't think anyone was knockin' Landy, just pointing out that he didn't have one of his better games.)

AvsRobin

Size doesn't matter!
Aug 10, 2010
Stockholm
Good point. That is sort of crazy once you think about it. ( although I don't think anyone was knockin' Landy, just pointing out that he didn't have one of his better games.)

Yeah, I read this whole thread after watch the game and I felt Landy didnt contribute much offensively, nor did his whole line. But nothing outrageous. Just not a top game. Then I came here and it seemed like every other post had a line saying "landeskog effing sucks today" "landeskog is playing horrible" and it just strucked me, WHY do we feel the need to point it out so much when a 20 year old on our team has a mediocre game?

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
Yeah, I read this whole thread after watch the game and I felt Landy didnt contribute much offensively, nor did his whole line. But nothing outrageous. Just not a top game. Then I came here and it seemed like every other post had a line saying "landeskog effing sucks today" "landeskog is playing horrible" and it just strucked me, WHY do we feel the need to point it out so much when a 20 year old on our team has a mediocre game?

It seems people like to focus on him and have unrealistic expectations. He's the new EJ, where every turnover gets blown up to bizarre proportions.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad