GDT: Avs vs. Coyotes | 7 PM | Nov 21 | An Actual GDT

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
From TSN:

"I thought we did a lot of good things in that game, thought we controlled a lot of the play, had upward of 75 scoring chances," Coyotes coach Dave Tippett said.

What a tool! So every shot attempt either blocked, wide or on net is a scoring chances. Pretty wide definition of scoring chance.

Its not because Varly lets in a softy that EVERY shot attemp is a scoring chance dear Mr Tippet. :sarcasm:

25i4ugk.jpg

Metallo

NWOBHM forever \m/
Feb 14, 2010
Québec, QC
Chambers has a better version of the quote up:

Said Tippett: “I thought we controlled a lot of thee play. I think we had upwards to 75 attempts at net so there is a lot of good things, but in a tight game mistakes matter. When you put a team on the power play twice in overtime it usually comes back to bite you, and it did.â€

Good find. Let's chalk it up to bad repporting by TSN then.

raistlin76

Sep 18, 2004
Cracow
www.nhl.com.pl
Some impressions after watching the game

1. We showed lot of character dropping three straight goals, then comeback and got this game into OT and then got a win

2. I think EJ was all right, didn't see his bad decisions or slowness.

3. I have strong feeling that after this season we would think that 5x5 for O'Reilly that AVS could sign before last season is a bargain. I think there is no chance we sign him for 5 per year

4. Third line was really good for second straight game. IMHO combination of McLeod-Mitchell-Talbot is really good. I think Cody in fourth line is a little waste of his skills. He is good third-liner and can scores some goals. After Duchene comes back I think MacK should go back on Staz or Dutchy wing and McGinn should be in 4th line. Right now he is bad offensively

5. Varly let in softy, but apart from that he was stellar in my opinion. He made clutch saves numerous times.

6. I really like how we bounce back after three losses, hope they will continue it on Saturday against LAK. Then I hope it will be some payback time against St. Louis. I don't say we have to win three fights againts them, but I want us to beat them on ice in the same fashion and score as we did against Anaheim and Chicago.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
I'm positive there won't even be 75 Corsi events for Phoenix, so there can't even be 75 shot attempts :laugh:

More gems from the boxscore: MacKinnon won 53% of his 15 faceoffs, Cliche won 75% of 8.

There was no chance O'Reilly was going to only get 5mil 15 games ago.

I agree the third line finding a good combination and working is nice, they should stick together. You can't put McGinn on the 4th line though. But offensive depth again would be a nice problem to have.

Last edited:

freeboy

Feb 27, 2012
Sunny Colorado
Where is this notion coming from that the refs helped us? Both goals that were disallowed were good calls. Barrie got his hand whacked hard enough that he needed to have his hand looked at.

Im saying that if one was , cough, a fan of the dogs... certainly the goal Varly dragged in was a goal if the ref did not kill the play... and the bump would be a added insult... it all comes out in the wash but can we really in this age not have referee replays.. damn there where a lot of uncalled blatant cross checks and other no nos... but both ways....
Go avs....
I was way off, I said seven goals and a 5-2 score.. 4-3 in OT is too close... I hate giving up a loser point

cobra427

May 6, 2012
We were up 2-0 then Varly let in that softy, but Phoenix was the better team. I think you guys got screwed for the first disallowed goal. That looked like a goal to me. OEL is amazing.

Phoenix played a very good game, was the better team, controlled the puck, had more shots, but caught a few bad breaks and lost. The better team does not always win and Phoenix got a taste of their own medicine, as Phoenix has been winning this type of game lately, when they have been out played.

forsbergavs32

Global Moderator
Jan 21, 2011
Fresno,CA
Glad we stole a couple of points...we just gave them too much time in our zone and it could have bit us...we gotta come back stronger against LA on Saturday if we want to win.

Also I see O'Reilly has started playing amazing as soon as a changed my avatar, you're welcome :D but seriously...pay the man.

Metallo

NWOBHM forever \m/
Feb 14, 2010
Québec, QC
Glad we stole a couple of points...we just gave them too much time in our zone and it could have bit us...we gotta come back stronger against LA on Saturday if we want to win.

Also I see O'Reilly has started playing amazing as soon as a changed my avatar, you're welcome :D but seriously...pay the man.

You still have him in the wrong jersey number!

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
Parenteau, even when he's not having a great game, still can create chances. Wasn't he the one that passed to Stastny who was wide open? And he did have some nice passes in OT, including the assist on the game winner.

Landeskog looked lethargic. He usually don't lose as many board battles as he did today. He was excellent against Blackhawks so hope he rebounds against Kings.

I thought Morris was better than both OEL and Yandle today. Dangerous offensively and strong defensively.

I thought so too and it wasn't just because of those bombs he let go. He was always in the right spot and always seemed to be the guy making the play.

OEL is good and you can tell he can be game breaking but he wasn't very impressive last night.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
I agree on Landy. He seemed off for whatever reason.

Also agreed on Morris. He's a much, much smarter player than he was in Colorado.

I was shocked at how well the Coyotes took care of the puck. This isn't a chip-it-in team anymore.

Tommy Shelby

Feb 26, 2012
4. Third line was really good for second straight game. IMHO combination of McLeod-Mitchell-Talbot is really good. I think Cody in fourth line is a little waste of his skills. He is good third-liner and can scores some goals. After Duchene comes back I think MacK should go back on Staz or Dutchy wing and McGinn should be in 4th line. Right now he is bad offensively

I'd like to see:

ROR-Dutchy-PAP
Lando-Staz-Mack
McLeod-Talbot-McGinn
Cliche-Malkin-Bordy

Lonewolfe2015

Rom Com Male Lead
Sponsor
Dec 2, 2007
I'd like to see:

ROR-Dutchy-PAP
Lando-Staz-Mack
McLeod-Talbot-McGinn
Cliche-Malkin-Bordy

When healthy:

ROR - Duchy - PAP
Landy - Staz - Tangs
McLeod - MacKinnon - McGinn
Talbot - Mitchell - Bordy

Talbot should move up before Mitchell until Tangs is healthy.

I like having MacKinnon on the 3rd line, it makes our team more dangerous.

AvsfanJack

Jun 30, 2013
Windsor
When healthy:

ROR - Duchy - PAP
Landy - Staz - Tangs

Your lines are pretty solid. Roy could always throw Mac in with the top lines for a few shifts each game anyway so he can play with the big boys.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
When healthy:

ROR - Duchy - PAP
Landy - Staz - Tangs

I know we're all loving Highlander right now, but he's a 4th liner, when he plays above that for too long he starts to really limit the players he's with and takes some dumb penalties. With the injuries we have I'm glad he's getting to play on the third line, but when we're healthy again he needs to be on that 4th line with malkin and bordy. Let Talbot handle the defensive duties for MacGinnon on the third line if roy doesn't decide to give MacK O'Reilly full time.

AvsRobin

Size doesn't matter!
Aug 10, 2010
Stockholm
That Downie trade really put MacKinnon in a difficult spot IMO. Playing McGinn-MacKinnon-Downie as a third line was great. We had nine players who made our top 9 filthy. Now we are basically forced to put a guy like Mitchell or Talbot next to MacKinnon and I think that is limiting him pretty bad. Especially when McGinn is going through a cold streak.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
MacKinnon and O'Reilly have some good chemistry and apparently Mack is staying out with O'Reilly long after practice. I don't think we have seen much of the McGinn-MacK-Talbot line, maybe what one game? I'm willing to see how that goes plus MacK and Talbot seem to work ok together.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
That Downie trade really put MacKinnon in a difficult spot IMO. Playing McGinn-MacKinnon-Downie as a third line was great. We had nine players who made our top 9 filthy. Now we are basically forced to put a guy like Mitchell or Talbot next to MacKinnon and I think that is limiting him pretty bad. Especially when McGinn is going through a cold streak.

If you really want to do this...again...the downie trade was done for MacKinnon, he and McGinn were really clicking but were getting stuck in their own zone far too much for far too long. They need someone who could get that line to be able to get the puck back so those two could race away, and Talbot does that, plus he's good along the boards and in the corners on the rare occasions we do get possession in the offensive zone. I'd have liked to have seen how the MacGinnon downie line worked for a bit before making this move, but I see exactly where roy's concern for that line was, given mack's defensive play, given our defensive core behind them.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
If you really want to do this...again...the downie trade was done for MacKinnon, he and McGinn were really clicking but were getting stuck in their own zone far too much for far too long. They need someone who could get that line to be able to get the puck back so those two could race away, and Talbot does that, plus he's good along the boards and in the corners on the rare occasions we do get possession in the offensive zone. I'd have liked to have seen how the MacGinnon downie line worked for a bit before making this move, but I see exactly where roy's concern for that line was, given mack's defensive play, given our defensive core behind them.

Could not agree more.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad