Post-Game Talk: Avs vs Bruins... sigh of relief

Flanagan

Registered Loser
Jul 10, 2011
St. John's
That is going to start to look like an ugly contract pretty soon.

Someone else pointed this out on the last page but wasn't answered; how does Chara's cap hit drop to $4M in his last year? Is that an error on capgeek?

Last edited by a moderator:

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Someone else pointed this out on the last page but wasn't answered; how does Chara's cap hit drop to $4M in his last year? Is that an error on capgeek?

Yes, it's not possible to have a different cap hit in the final year as the previous seasons. They probably just accidentally listed his salary.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
kept spoiler free all day and just finished watching the game

- Classic Briere
- Duchene was a beast
- Yogi was spectacular and has looked great in his reg season play time
- We were jobbed on the no goal call
- Wasn't as high on Everberg as most here for the first 2 games but he looked really good this afternoon
- Barrie still skating really good with the puck .... Holden not so much today
- Where was Wilson/what happened .... watched the NESN feed ... never addressed
- Awful bench management with the multiple too many men calls
- Iginla was the worst 60% of water on the ice and that isn't saying much as we have Jan Hejda ... might as well have wore his Bruins sweater from last year in this game cause it looked like he was playing for them
- someone tell Hejda if you are going to do a Bobby Orr impersonation (1st goal against) you should be the one scoring

Too many men calls are rarely the coach's fault.

The Mars Volchenkov

Mar 31, 2002
Colorado
kept spoiler free all day and just finished watching the game

- Classic Briere
- Duchene was a beast
- Yogi was spectacular and has looked great in his reg season play time
- We were jobbed on the no goal call
- Wasn't as high on Everberg as most here for the first 2 games but he looked really good this afternoon
- Barrie still skating really good with the puck .... Holden not so much today
- Where was Wilson/what happened .... watched the NESN feed ... never addressed
- Iginla was the worst 60% of water on the ice and that isn't saying much as we have Jan Hejda ... might as well have wore his Bruins sweater from last year in this game cause it looked like he was playing for them
- someone tell Hejda if you are going to do a Bobby Orr impersonation (1st goal against) you should be the one scoring
What was wrong with Holden? He played fine. I liked his physical game.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Capgeek doesn't make mistakes like that. Probably something to do with signing the contract before the last lockout. It's probably explained in the FAQ somewhere.

Looks like you're right. Seems like an odd ruling given their obsession with over 40 contracts.

http://www.capgeek.com/faq/what-s-the-ilya-kovalchuk-rule

As a side note though, cap geek does make little mistakes like that. They correct them pretty quickly though.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
Looks like you're right. Seems like an odd ruling given their obsession with over 40 contracts.

http://www.capgeek.com/faq/what-s-the-ilya-kovalchuk-rule

As a side note though, cap geek does make little mistakes like that. They correct them pretty quickly though.

Thanks for finding the link. Why the cap hit changes because of age is odd. Is it just to encourage signing older players?

Ya I know everyone makes mistakes but if they had Chara's cap hit wrong they'd get 8760 questions about it. They have the popular teams and their big players sorted to a T.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
Thanks for finding the link. Why the cap hit changes because of age is odd. Is it just to encourage signing older players?

I think so teams can't lower the cap hit with a bogus 40+ season added at the end of the contract. He signed a 7 year, $45.5M contract so the cap hit should be $6.5M. Instead, his cap hit is $6.9M for the first 6 years and then $4M in the last season. It's good for the team if the player is still playing (and playing well) in the last season but they have to pay more now.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
Finally finished the recording, I was savoring it.

Couple tidbits from McNab in post game. One, a reason why they got Berra is because they knew Jiggy couldn't play regularly if Varly went down. Two, they went to Bourque's restraunt again last night.

TheStranger

Jan 21, 2010
Ottawa, Ontario

I've never played competitive hockey but is it so hard to go on the ice when your counterpart gets off?

If you're left wing, do you not go on when left wing gets off? Everyone just jumps on the ice when they feel like it I guess

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course
867897626.gif

867901166.gif

Chileiceman

Dec 14, 2004
Toronto
I actually thought O'Reilly was OK this game. Certainly didn't think he was bad. Didn't do anything amazing, but made a lot of smart plays, especially defensively. Everberg was the best player on that line though. That kid might turn out to be quite the find.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
I re-watched most of the game last night, the Avs actually played pretty well overall. Tangs looks a bit lost right now, but I think that mostly stems from getting used to playing at game speed again. He will be fine. Stuart played much better than people led on... he is pretty damn effective at standing players up at the blue line and is still a physical force (he needs somebody that can handle to puck paired with him). Holden-EJ is going to be the top pairing going forward, while Hejda or Stuart is going to be paired with Barrie (probably Hejda as they should try to keep Stuart on the right for a bit).

This may not seem like a big issue now, but the Avs really need a 2nd PP unit QB. Tangs is back there in an attempt to fill that void, but it isn't a strength of his. There is nobody there that can direct the play and calm things down. A possible solution is to double shift Barrie there, but it wouldn't surprise me a bit if the Avs target somebody in a trade (probably a left shot) that can QB a PP.

TheStranger

Jan 21, 2010
Ottawa, Ontario
I re-watched most of the game last night, the Avs actually played pretty well overall. Tangs looks a bit lost right now, but I think that mostly stems from getting used to playing at game speed again. He will be fine. Stuart played much better than people led on... he is pretty damn effective at standing players up at the blue line and is still a physical force (he needs somebody that can handle to puck paired with him). Holden-EJ is going to be the top pairing going forward, while Hejda or Stuart is going to be paired with Barrie (probably Hejda as they should try to keep Stuart on the right for a bit).

This may not seem like a big issue now, but the Avs really need a 2nd PP unit QB. Tangs is back there in an attempt to fill that void, but it isn't a strength of his. There is nobody there that can direct the play and calm things down. A possible solution is to double shift Barrie there, but it wouldn't surprise me a bit if the Avs target somebody in a trade (probably a left shot) that can QB a PP.

Quincey :sarcasm:

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003

I think the concern with Tangs is if he will get back to speed. There's no guarantee that he will at his age coming off hip/knee injuries. It's definitely the thing causing him issues though. He's always relied heavily on skating, and moving his feet to be successful.

As for the 2nd PP QB, O'Reilly is a great option for that IMO. He's always done great on the point of the PP, and has that huge slapper he doesn't use enough as well. Problem is it breaks up the Duchene-O'Reilly combo on the half boards, but they seem to have gone away from that for the time being anyway. I think everyone knows their tendencies there at this point.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
I think the concern with Tangs is if he will get back to speed. There's no guarantee that he will at his age coming off hip/knee injuries. It's definitely the thing causing him issues though. He's always relied heavily on skating, and moving his feet to be successful.

As for the 2nd PP QB, O'Reilly is a great option for that IMO. He's always done great on the point of the PP, and has that huge slapper he doesn't use enough as well. Problem is it breaks up the Duchene-O'Reilly combo on the half boards, but they seem to have gone away from that for the time being anyway. I think everyone knows their tendencies there at this point.

Part of the issue is that Tangs isn't moving his feet... he doesn't need to be outright fast, he has to adjust the way he plays. I think he is a smart enough player to figure it out and make the proper adjustment. Time will tell.

ROR would be an option, but it is creating one hole to fill another. ROR is great down low on the PP, and he has more value there than he does on the point IMO.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad