Confirmed with Link: Avs trade for Ryan Merkley and LBN

John Mandalorian

2022 Avs: The First Dance
Nov 29, 2018
Is it just me or does it seem like the version on Nieto is better? He was a great 4th liner before but now tge 4th line seems like less of a ceiling. It's partly that the Avs are so strong in transition and that suits his skating and allows him to be opportunistically productive.

Maybe it's partly the Avs current roster construction allows for more fluidity among the lines?

SaltySkywalker

Bushes of Love
Jul 15, 2016
Tatooine
Is it just me or does it seem like the version on Nieto is better? He was a great 4th liner before but now tge 4th line seems like less of a ceiling. It's partly that the Avs are so strong in transition and that suits his skating and allows him to be opportunistically productive.

Maybe it's partly the Avs current roster construction allows for more fluidity among the lines?

This year’s cup run is for Matt Freaking Nieto.

Definitely on par with the Bourque run.

Last edited:

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
Unlikely.

Hilarious that people on here were already making the Grand Canyon leap right after the deal saying “Will this make Girard expendable?” :laugh:
I definitely said I liked the upside in Merkley here, but yeah there was a lot of leaps being taken there. But I do think if Merkley will make it anywhere it'd be in this org even if it's quite unlikely.

MaKarter

Big Game Bo
Jun 21, 2019
Fort Collins CO
I was at the Eagles game last night and Merkley looked good. He was running PP1, had a few strong zone exits and while he did not really engage in puck battles in his own zone, he seemed to at least be in good position all night.

If he wants to learn and grow and eventually make it to the NHL, his best shot may be with the Eagles/Avs.

Bonzai12

Nov 2, 2007
Denver CO
Thanks for sharing that. Hope the dude turns things around but I’m not expecting miracles. I think he’s some type of a FA at years end so he’s got a short timeline to do this

Perratrooper

May 26, 2016
Alberta
I don't actually care how well Kaut does on the Sharks, it was very clear he was not going to be a fit on the Avs. His skating and ability to maintain a high motor just weren't going to be where they needed to be to consistently get ice time on the Avs. Some players just don't fit into some systems.

More of a fact than anything. Most people realized Kaut would never succeed here under Bednar’s system, but an interesting start to his career with the Sharks.

Nov 29, 2003
Screw You Blaster
Visit site
Kaut finding more success with a team that plays significantly slower makes a lot of sense. I'm happy for him, he was on the Avs shit list most of his time here.
The amateur scouts seem to largely be looking for a very different player than someone that would fit the Avs system. Would explain our absolute shit drafting.

expatriatedtexan

Habitual Line Stepper
Aug 17, 2005
I think the idea with Kaut was that we were getting a third line version of Hejduk. It just never happened. Good news for him though is that some players can make a career for themselves on bad teams though, and I wish him all the best. Kaut has the potential to be like a Yip or Davey Jones, etc...we had a lot of players who really shouldn't have been playing where they were on the team over the years and we actually managed to like more than a few of them because well, the whole team kinda sucked at the time and they seemed like nice guys.

Nov 29, 2003
Screw You Blaster
Visit site
I think the idea with Kaut was that we were getting a third line version of Hejduk. It just never happened. Good news for him though is that some players can make a career for themselves on bad teams though, and I wish him all the best. Kaut has the potential to be like a Yip or Davey Jones, etc...we had a lot of players who really shouldn't have been playing where they were on the team over the years and we actually managed to like more than a few of them because well, the whole team kinda sucked at the time and they seemed like nice guys.
Davey Jones would've looked great on this Avs team as a third liner.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Nah, he just wasn't good enough. Also he couldn't make left turns.

Oh no, he was quite good. Injuries ruined him. Hit nearly 30 goals and 50 points on an insanely shitty Avs team (the year they traded away their 1st rounder for Varly and still tanked). Even hit 20 goals the following season, then he imploded.

Nov 29, 2003
Screw You Blaster
Visit site
Jones was good and his knee injury ruined his skating.

Oh no, he was quite good. Injuries ruined him. Hit nearly 30 goals and 50 points on an insanely shitty Avs team (the year they traded away their 1st rounder for Varly and still tanked). Even hit 20 goals the following season, then he imploded.
He was really reliant on his speed and power to create opportunities for himself, but as Ceremony mentioned, once that knee blew out he was a shadow of his former self. It's too bad, that combo of size and speed was really nice. Florida had a similar player in David Booth that also imploded following multiple injuries.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
Y’all were typing too loudly — Kaut just got reassigned by SJ.
In reality, you can’t make assumptions that he’s suddenly going to succeed off his quick tenure. Plenty of bad players get roles on bad teams and carve out games and even produce. I’ll be shocked if Kaut ever reaches 200 games.

Reactions: NOTENOUGHRYJOTHINGS

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad