Confirmed with Link: Avs trade for Ryan Merkley and LBN

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
I expect Kaut will look great for ~3 games for the Sharks while his effort is through the roof... then he'll regress back down. He's been as active and involved as I've ever seen in the Baracuda games since the trade. He is clearly trying make a good impression and it is working, but we also know how he can never keep that all the way up.

Reactions: RoyIsALegend

JoeSakic13

May 30, 2013
San Francisco
How’s Merkley been in Loveland? I haven’t paid much attention since the trade.
Haven’t watched him personally, but I can confirm his photo for this year looks like a police mugshot.

1676924174243.jpeg

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
How’s Merkley been in Loveland? I haven’t paid much attention since the trade.
The same mixed bag as ever. I wouldn't put any hope in it suddenly clicking for him. If it does, it speaks volumes to Cronin.

I won’t even be upset if Kaut prospers in San Jose.

He wasn’t going to make it happen here. These last couple years made that abundantly clear. It’s unfortunate, but it was in Kaut’s best interest to be moved.
He seems like a good kid and I'd like him to succeed. Hopefully, he's figured it out... but he seems like one of the types that thinks he is working hard when in reality he's not.

Reactions: The Abusement Park

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
He seems like a good kid and I'd like him to succeed. Hopefully, he's figured it out... but he seems like one of the types that thinks he is working hard when in reality he's not.
I think even if the effort level really does ramp up consistently, he's not durable enough. And I think that's part of the reason he looks so hesitant out there a lot of times.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
I think even if the effort level really does ramp up consistently, he's not durable enough. And I think that's part of the reason he looks so hesitant out there a lot of times.

IMO he so hesitant because he's constantly gassed and just doesn't have it in the tank enough. Never seen a player get so gassed after a 20 second shift. I seriously question his conditioning and the training going into it... guy legit looks like a beer leaguer in that area. Injuries can play into that too though... when you're out of shape in a physical sport, you have to take more chances and sometimes with chances come extra risks.

Reactions: Pokecheque

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas
The same mixed bag as ever. I wouldn't put any hope in it suddenly clicking for him. If it does, it speaks volumes to Cronin.

After his first training camp, it seemed (to me) like this was an instance of the Avs not drafting for the type of team they were supposedly building. I haven't gone back to look at who was taken after him, but he just never seemed to match what Bednar was wanting to implement. Which made the pick really odd imo.

And, like you, this isn't meant to be taken as something against Kaut specifically, more just about the kind of team they were in the process of building and his cons being in direct competition with that.

Chiarelli

Jan 27, 2019
After his first training camp, it seemed (to me) like this was an instance of the Avs not drafting for the type of team they were supposedly building. I haven't gone back to look at who was taken after him, but he just never seemed to match what Bednar was wanting to implement. Which made the pick really odd imo.

And, like you, this isn't meant to be taken as something against Kaut specifically, more just about the kind of team they were in the process of building and his cons being in direct competition with that.
K’Andre Miller is the name you’re searching for. Would fit this team like a glove and selected only a few picks after Kaut.

Reactions: S E P H

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012

Scouting staffs and coaching staffs are rarely ever perfectly aligned. It can happen, but tends to be rather rare. The main reason is a rather simple one... coaching staffs tend to change faster than every 5 years (reasonable expectation for an impact of a drafted player). Only 3 coaches have hit that number in the NHL currently (Carolina will add a 4th soon). Beyond that, front offices don't even fair that much better. Now some quirks exist there like Avs and Vegas making title changes, only 10 GMs are more tenured than 5 years. The continuity of that makes teams just lean on whatever the scouts want most of the time.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
K’Andre Miller is the name you’re searching for. Would fit this team like a glove and selected only a few picks after Kaut.
I quite liked Kaut at the time, but he's pretty much the non-lazy version of Bleackley with no conditioning skills whatsoever. He could've been the reason why Hepple was fired since that selection goes straight back to the high character, but not great at anything sort of rubbish we got from Pracey. I really wanted K'Andre, saw a much more mobile EJ Johnson in him. I still think he has some untapped offensive potential in him as well. Avs would have never picked him IMO, he was too raw in his draft year and we had a crazy amount of defenders at the time (Helleson, Makar, Barron, Girard, Byram, and Timmins).

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
I quite liked Kaut at the time, but he's pretty much the non-lazy version of Bleackley with no conditioning skills whatsoever. He could've been the reason why Hepple was fired since that selection goes straight back to the high character, but not great at anything sort of rubbish we got from Pracey. I really wanted K'Andre, saw a much more mobile EJ Johnson in him. I still think he has some untapped offensive potential in him as well. Avs would have never picked him IMO, he was too raw in his draft year and we had a crazy amount of defenders at the time (Helleson, Makar, Barron, Girard, Byram, and Timmins).
Helleson, Byram and Barron were not part of the organization at the time of that draft

JWK

Report Spam @JWK on Twitter Plz
Mar 27, 2010
I don't have any issues with players asking for trades. More power to them.

f*** it, give me a NHL Durant, that'll keep me entertained

Reactions: dahrougem2

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
5 trade requests in 5 years? Like how do you even do that?

“Hey Joe it’s Martin’s agent again. Just checking in to see if you got my last message. Sometimes my phone acts up and messages don’t go through. Anyway hope all is well”.

Good luck Kaut. One more trade request and you’ll have as many career trade requests as you do points. Keep blaming the others bud.

Frenchy

Administrator
Sep 16, 2006
϶(°o°)ϵ

“Hey Joe it’s Martin’s agent again. Just checking in to see if you got my last message. Sometimes my phone acts up and messages don’t go through. Anyway hope all is well”.

Good luck Kaut. One more trade request and you’ll have as many career trade requests as you do points. Keep blaming the others bud.

Rumour is that his 5th request was when NAK dropped the cup on the ice. In his mid , Kaut was done with the Avs after that . :sarcasm:

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016

You know he didn’t do it his first season or two. Or if he did that really makes it more problematic.

Which than means over the last 2/3 seasons it was constant whining about wanting to get moved. Yeesh.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad