Confirmed with Link: Avs Sign Oskar Olausson to ELC

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
I think it could be really good for him to be a high end player in junior. Lots and lots of players go through the CHL and come out NHL players, after all.

Reactions: Colorado Avalanche

dmac7719

Apr 27, 2018
Ontario
If Foerster ends up back in Barrie, they could have a very interesting PP with Foerster and Olausson on the boards and Clarke up top

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Whatever keeps Oskar out of the AHL until he’s a serious options for the NHL roster.

I just noticed Oskar was drafted by Barrie in June before the NHL draft as opposed to after. Does this make him ineligible for the AHL under the transfer agreement anyway?

ItsFineImFine

Aug 11, 2019
Quite excited about this, my local team has two games against Barrie in 2020 (although they're both on Friday night and I prefer not to be on the road on Friday night).

Metallo

NWOBHM forever \m/
Feb 14, 2010
Québec, QC
I just noticed Oskar was drafted by Barrie in June before the NHL draft as opposed to after. Does this make him ineligible for the AHL under the transfer agreement anyway?
I think so, others may confirm.

I wonder if he should have waited to after camp to sign in the OHL. What’s the rush? What if he was good enough for the AHL?

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
No it does not make him ineligible for the AHL. The import draft is not binding, it’s not something a player chooses to enter. What matters is where a player is playing (and really who he is contracted to) at the time of getting selected in the NHL draft. I believe Oskar could still go to the AHL at any time. But they’ve made the decision, there’s no need to go down that road too soon.

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
I think now that he's actually signed with Barrie the NHL/CHL agreement applies, so no AHL for him until he's aged out of the CHL.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
No it does not make him ineligible for the AHL. The import draft is not binding, it’s not something a player chooses to enter. What matters is where a player is playing (and really who he is contracted to) at the time of getting selected in the NHL draft. I believe Oskar could still go to the AHL at any time. But they’ve made the decision, there’s no need to go down that road too soon.

Maybe this info is outdated then? This is an older article from 2012 , so maybe they've done away with this aspect of the transfer agreement since then?

"European players further complicate The Agreement. If European players are drafted in the CHL draft before they're drafted by an NHL club, this rule applies to them. However, if they're drafted as a member of a European squad, and choose post-NHL-draft to play for a CHL team, they can, in fact, report to the NHL team's minor squads before the age limit kicks in."

"Ivan Vishnevskiy is the opposite case. He was the Rouyn-Noranda Huskies' (QMJHL) second pick in the CHL import draft in 2005, before being drafted by the Dallas Stars out of R-N in 2006. Since he was drafted from a CHL team, the same rules apply to Vishnevskiy as any other player drafted from a CHL team: 20 years old or 4 years of play. Vishnevskiy played for Rouyn-Noranda for three seasons, turned 20 during the 2007-2008 season, and reported to the Peoria Rivermen of the AHL to start the 2008-2009 season."

How Does The NHL-CHL Agreement work?

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
^^^The writer may have worded this poorly too. Vishnevskiy played for RN in his draft year. So maybe the criteria is they have to have played in the CHL for the rule to be in effect, not just be drafted by a CHL team. I haven't been able to confirm this anywhere else so I'm not sure. :dunno:

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
That’s a SB nation article too, I could have written that. There’s nothing that enforces proper context, facts or nuance in those articles. A lot of them are helpful guides yes but it’s not some official decree.

Drafted by the CHL means absolutely nothing. Tons of kids get drafted and never show up, it does not impact what they can and can’t do. Kaut was drafted by Brandon in 2017 before he was drafted in the NHL, that didn’t stop him from playing in the AHL. Teams make Hail Mary picks all the time in the import draft on Americans or Europeans if they have an import slot open and hope if circumstances change they hold the winning ticket.

The NHL-CHL agreement is all about contract status. The kids that play in the CHL have signed a contract to that team, that’s what prevents the movement. It’s nothing to do with AHL or NHL rules or mandates. A lot of Euros that go over to the CHL already have played pro and have contracts in their home country and therefore have been “on loan” to the CHL so that their original contract supersedes the CHL contract. This is how you see Euros who played in the CHL in their draft year end up going to the AHL early. Zadina, Alex Nylander, there’s many examples of this. The Russians are the ones who get screwed because since there’s no recognized transfer agreement they have to have no contract to sign in the CHL and therefore can’t take advantage of the Euro loophole.

The deadline for the transfer agreement to allow kids to sign NHL contracts was usually July 15, it was extended to Aug 15 this year. It’s why you see so many recent ELC signings were Euros before that deadline. Oskar was one so the reason why the Avs did it so early was probably for the transfer agreement which means he does still have an active contract in Sweden (I think he signed an extension this spring) and therefore would be eligible for the on loan loophole.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
That’s a SB nation article too, I could have written that. There’s nothing that enforces proper context, facts or nuance in those articles. A lot of them are helpful guides yes but it’s not some official decree.

Drafted by the CHL means absolutely nothing. Tons of kids get drafted and never show up, it does not impact what they can and can’t do. Kaut was drafted by Brandon in 2017 before he was drafted in the NHL, that didn’t stop him from playing in the AHL. Teams make Hail Mary picks all the time in the import draft on Americans or Europeans if they have an import slot open and hope if circumstances change they hold the winning ticket.

The NHL-CHL agreement is all about contract status. The kids that play in the CHL have signed a contract to that team, that’s what prevents the movement. It’s nothing to do with AHL or NHL rules or mandates. A lot of Euros that go over to the CHL already have played pro and have contracts in their home country and therefore have been “on loan” to the CHL so that their original contract supersedes the CHL contract. This is how you see Euros who played in the CHL in their draft year end up going to the AHL early. Zadina, Alex Nylander, there’s many examples of this. The Russians are the ones who get screwed because since there’s no recognized transfer agreement they have to have no contract to sign in the CHL and therefore can’t take advantage of the Euro loophole.

The deadline for the transfer agreement to allow kids to sign NHL contracts was usually July 15, it was extended to Aug 15 this year. It’s why you see so many recent ELC signings were Euros before that deadline. Oskar was one so the reason why the Avs did it so early was probably for the transfer agreement which means he does still have an active contract in Sweden (I think he signed an extension this spring) and therefore would be eligible for the on loan loophole.

I'm not saying you're wrong, I think you're probably right on this, but the 2017 CHL import draft where Brandon took Kaut was after the NHL draft.

The 2017 NHL draft was on June 23rd. The CHL import draft was on June 28th.

It's also possible that this before/after the NHL draft rule is true, but in normal years the CHL import draft is always after the NHL draft. So maybe they agreed to not apply the rule this year due to the pandemic changing all the schedules? :dunno:

2017 NHL Entry Draft - Wikipedia

2017 CHL Import Draft takes place Wednesday June 28 – Ontario Hockey League

CHL Import Draft – Brandon Wheat Kings

Last edited:

Metallo

NWOBHM forever \m/
Feb 14, 2010
Québec, QC
My understanding is that the CHL draft does not matter. The CHL rules apply if the player was NHL-drafted as a CHL player (Euro or not). OO was not NHL-drafted as a CHL player so the CHL rules don’t apply.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad